1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why/How are clubs able to discriminate?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by NateNate, Nov 14, 2019.

1. NateNate

NateNate Member

Fairly simple question. Anyone in the business able to explain this in detail or offer a different perspective? I always look at the reviews of the newer/hotter clubs and bars and they’re all filled with claims of discrimination (which we know happens). I came across reviews for Base, which is fairly new DT, and they’re at 2 stars mainly for claims of racism from the doormen. If you visit any of their social media pages like Facebook you’ll obviously see their target audience. In their facebooks photos they literally have zero pics of minority’s, I mean it was as white as one could imagine, and in a city as diverse as Houston it’s kind of a slap in the face.

Anyone have any thoughts on how clubs get this pass? I’m ready to be educated.

2. astros123

astros123 Member

They cant technically. Alot of Vegas clubs have been sued in the past for charging different admissions to male versus females and have lost lots of money.

The only reason they "get away" with it here is because TABC requires them to have on duty police. Usually on duty Captain hires his crew of HPD cops and they all jerk each off pretty much. I know most of them in midtown/downtown. Those cops make 85 an hour for doing absolutely nothing other then picking up hot chicks and breaking up fights.

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

A private restaurant reserves the right to refuse service to anyone.

I worked a door at a bar on the Strand in Galveston for several years for special events. My manager would come up to me and say 'there are some thugs coming up, make sure to charge them $30 for cover' or something along those lines. It wasn't race based, either, as 'thugs' were different races. I know people are going to say 'what's a thug' and I can say that it's someone who looks straight out of jail (and I worked in prisons so I've seen them all), crappy tattoos, raggedy tattered baggy clothes, poor posture and body language.

I didn't discriminate against any race, and tattoos and baggy clothes alone weren't enough for me to refuse service. I would refuse service or increase cover for shitty attitudes or people b****ing about $5 cover, that included the most clean cut men and prettiest women. I would straight up tell them that a crap attitude wasn't welcome. I would also refuse service to stumbling drunks, because the owner could be held accountable for them drinking in that state then getting in a wreck or some other damaging event.

I was pretty fair on cover and entry for everyone else, and the door fee varied based on capacity. There was an even stream of women and men so I didn't have to regulate for fear of it becoming a sausage fest, but there were times the manager would say $2 for women, $5 for men, or higher amounts.

I also only got the race card thrown at me once, because anyone who went in got a stamp and could re-enter without a fee. This guy saw me letting in people who had stamps and assumed I was charging him because he was black, never mind that some of the people I let back in were black, all of which I explained. He started ranting and raving and his buddies just pulled him away and gave me some apologetic looks and head-shakes.

@NateNate I'm not sure what your exact experience was, but yeah, there are racist ******* owners out there and dumb-ass doormen who just blankly follow orders. But if you're getting that sort of response at a lot of clubs, it might be the way you present yourself. I'm not saying that it's anything at all, just a couple of observations.

Jayzers_100, NateNate and mikol13 like this.
  4. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

tonight is mohawk night if you had a mohawk you could get in

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

they make some of the dumbest dress codes on sight. Pants are too baggy when they are nuthuggers or sneakers are too basketballi-sh, meanwhile a white kid with flip flops and cargo shorts walks past you. Always tell your friend to bring an extra set of clothes.

da_juice, REEKO_HTOWN and BigShasta like this.
  7. body slam

body slam Member

I do not agree with ladies get in free but guys have to pay. that's sexual discrimination and needs to come to a end.

Jontro likes this.
  8. Xerobull

It’s a way to keep it from being a swinging dick fest.

When it was slow and people would complain in a good natured way about the cover, I would give them a chance to get in free with some simple history trivia. Not many knew even the most basic stuff about our country, like the year of the Declaration of Independence. Also if someone flipped out a hundred I would just let them in and tell them to leave a good tip.

King1 and TexasTofu like this.
  9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

They get away with it because it's almost impossible to prove discrimination/enforce those laws.

If you're going to bust a club for doing this, you have to conduct a very thorough sting and have a lot ducks in a row (plus the club is going to have to be quite careless/flagrant in their discrimination), otherwise you're pissing up a rope.

Most people don't have the time, patience or resources for that, they simply want behind the velvet rope that night.

This is all market driven, of course. Green is the color that matters most.

#9 DonnyMost, Nov 14, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

This discrimination is the main reason I don't go to clubs. ... Not.

[​IMG]

#10 B-Bob, Nov 14, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

Different clubs/bars in houston have a general target audience no matter what race it is. There's venues all across town where you will see predominately white, black, hispanic, asian, etc on given nights. That's just what some owners prefer to have to support their business whether it gets promoted directly or not. To each its own. Politics has always been a part of the industry. If you feel some type of way towards a place, there's a long list of other places in houston you can go to spend some money. There isn't a club/bar in houston that is considered a 100% must go to spot

12. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Clubs......? What are those?

13. Xerobull

After you get drunk at the bar, it's what your wife beats you with.

14. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

i am such a baller I cut warren sapp at the club in vegas.
    actually it was because we tipped the bouncer and didn't feel like waiting.

It works.

Its true you cant expect to arrive at midnight full line and waltz in. it is funny when hot shot guys try to act like they are the man and insulted because you dont recognize their greatness. Ny clubs can be humbling if you don't know the bouncer or pay. That's the point pay up.

Sure you are the man and demand entry.

Pro tip is if you really want in come at 9 and pre party at the spot. Be there and you dont have to wait to get in.

Pro tip 2 is dont roll with 20 dudes. Try to bring a lady. Think these things through. Dont dress like scumbag steve..

There are country clubs asian clubs etc if you are the exception know that you may not be their demographic doesnt mean yku cant wear a cowboy hat

da_juice and FranchiseBlade like this.
  15. B-Bob

Do you advise a polo shirt?

16. Xerobull

Popped collar

[​IMG]

17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

B-Bob likes this.
  18. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

i dunno. being white helps a lot

DonkeyMagic likes this.
  19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Its not Bob, it's because you're 80 years old.

Jontro and FranchiseBlade like this.
  20. B-Bob

Heck naw. See revamped avatar!