1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So the Astros 2017 title is tainted

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rockets13champs, Nov 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I meant, once they bothered to get the facts. You rightly point out the blunder of their initial reaction.

2. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Dgn1, gatsby, htwnbandit and 10 others like this.
  3. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

4. adoo

adoo Member

IIRC, it was Yuli G who was the beneficiary in the WS against Yu Darvish.

On the day after Yuli had feasted on Darvish—including an 8-pitch at bat leading to a game-winning HR—ESPN analysts were saying that Darvish was probably tipping his pitched. Yuli has not been the patient hitter w long at bats

5. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

Legend has it Beltran picked up Darvish's tell...

conquistador#11 likes this.
  6. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Is this proof?

https://www.barstoolsports.com/newy...y-and-you-might-need-to-take-away-their-title

7. Major

Major Member

There's also a big difference between the media and a court of law. The media isn't held to those standards - nor are you or I. We can make whatever judgments we want.

That would be as stupid as the media needing to function the way the justice system does.

8. phasors28

phasors28 Member

Where are the mics for games setup and can they pick up noises like this in the dugout? There is a lot yelling, cursing, banging, hitting and other actions that create noises in a MLB dugout that are not picked up in a normal MLB game. Why were these noises then in JomBoy's video picked up? Is the banging coming from somewhere else?

lw17 likes this.
  9. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

[​IMG]

10. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

everyday eddie likes this.
  11. astros123

astros123 Member

This is why it was so important to win the ring this year. If we only end up with one ring with this core then it'll be one of the biggest travesty. This team was build to be a dynasty and now sadly our image is slowly being tarnished whether we deserve it or not is a mute point.

Can someone tell me again how we lost all 4 games at home this world series?

12. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I am one of them. I earned my Bachelor’s of Journalism from The University of Texas at Austin in 2005 and most recently served as a Digital Editor for two oil and gas publications. I know the professional standards journalists are expected to follow, and, no, the media is not supposed to make whatever judgment it desires. Journalists are expected to rely on facts to levy accusations against individuals or corporations. Failure to do so is considered libel or slander, depending on whether the false accusation was spoken or written. For the record, I don’t believe the article by The Athletic crosses any lines in that regard.

Both professions are expected to rely on facts to produce their conclusions. Also, the content of the article doesn’t bother me. What I have a big problem with is journalists using their platforms to accuse the Astros of cheating during the 2017 postseason when there is no evidence of that at this time. On Tuesday, as I was driving home around 10 p.m., I turned my radio to SportsTalk 790, and the national sports talk show radio hosts began discussing the article. In the midst of the discussion, they claimed, based on The Athletic article, the Dodgers should now be considered the rightful 2017 World Series Champions. Fans are welcome to draw such a conclusion, not journalists.

#232 DVauthrin, Nov 14, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  13. Reeko

Reeko Member

lol, wow...how shameful

so not just choking, but cheating could be on their resume as well...they just had the Asuna situation too...the Astros are quickly becoming an embarrassment

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  14. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

You’re not a baseball fan and you’re about to embarrass yourself. Go back to the GARM.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/11/14/astros-sign-stealing-alex-cora-carlos-beltran

According to The Athletic’s Ken Rosenthal and Evan Drellich, Red Sox manager Alex Cora and recently hired Mets manager Carlos Beltran both played a “key role in devising the sign-stealing system the team used that season” while they were a part of Houston manager A.J. Hinch’s team.

Two sources told The Athletic that the sign stealing stretched into the 2017 postseason, while another denied the allegation.

Cora was the team’s bench coach in 2017, while Beltran was a designated hitter and outfielder. The Athletic is reporting that they were not the only members of the team who participated in the sign stealing.

Cora and Hinch declined to comment while Beltran told The Athletic that the team did nothing wrong.

“We took a lot of pride studying pitchers in the computer – that is the only technology that I use and I understand,” Beltrán told The Athletic via text. “It was fun seeing guys get to the ballpark to look for little details.

“(In) the game of baseball, guys for years have given location and if the catchers get lazy and the pitcher doesn’t cover the signs from second base, of course players are going to take advantage. I don’t call that cheating. I call that using the small details to take advantage. I think baseball is doing a great job adding new technology to make sure the game is even for both teams.”

#235 J.R., Nov 14, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    everyday eddie likes this.
  16. Reeko

Reeko Member

Why? Because I said it’s not a good look? It’s not

17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

That isn’t what you said. You’re one of my favorite Rockets’ posters but you only come in the Astros forum if you want to throw down some **** talk. Which has been few and far between in this era. It’s certainly within your right but expect responses like that.

htwnbandit likes this.
  18. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

No, that's not proof of a camera. Proof of a camera would show....a camera, the TV screen near the dugout with the super speed live feed, and the little drummer boy.

19. HatsForBats

HatsForBats Member

[​IMG]

Found the main culprit.

arkoe and phasors28 like this.
  20. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Snitches, rats, and tattlers... smh

Fiers didn't have to say names (ASTROS) and, even worse, he benefitted from whatever went down while with the team. OTOT, he needs to check himself because his cap has more substances than a mattress at Scottish Inn.

Wasn't serious about harming him but justice would be served if his future performance went downhill.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.