1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So the Astros 2017 title is tainted

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rockets13champs, Nov 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Well it's sure going to be interesting to watch the Astros bats next year, but without the cheating. That's gonna tell us all we need to know.

After hearing and reading more and more...the article on our toxic organization, the Taubman incident, the cultural fear and unhappy work environment, the cheating...I'm kind of sickened by it all. I see a few "duh" current players maybe wanting out when they're FAs for sure now (so trade Correa for realz) maybe some will not want play here, but that's highly doubtful as they're only about money.

We are definitely the evil empire now and the most hated team in baseball. Not sure how they will ever shake this off. They'll never be trusted again. In a way I love it though, as we're finally up there with the Dodgers, Yankees and Boston while we were "just another team" for 50+ years in the NL. Every single team save for maybe the Tigers and Orioles cheat, the Astros just got caught. Again.

Just gonna wait for the conclusion of the investigation to see how my body is ready for the upcoming season. Lunhow is gonna get hit by Manfred, probably heavy as they've already been told to stop this **** twice. Losing picks might happen. Losing Cole already hurt.

Right now though when I think about the Stros, although I get kinda ill, I will never forget the greatness of 2017. Nothing can ever take that away.

#181 LonghornFan, Nov 13, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    htwnbandit likes this.
  2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

That is way to fast of a reaction time. Those were done by a fan watching the catcher. I was there and laughed about it when it happened cause if messed with the pitcher.

— Alan Astro ⚾[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] (@BryanAlan57) November 13, 2019

and

Bingo. Even live feeds have a small lag. Going through this intricate "camera-to-monitor-to-banger" theory would take MUCH LONGER than realizing that Farq holds his wrist higher set on a FB and the glove at an angle on off speed/slider.

— CatahoulaCur (Astros RF Stands Cameraman) (@AOPharis) November 13, 2019

and

Your right on that. I install high dollar cameras everyday. There's 1 sec lag on if your connected straight to it. The setup they would've had @ MMP would have at least 2-3sec

— Robert Morales (@ratedRparts) November 13, 2019

3. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Leave it to a Yankee fan to intentionally ignore the fact that all of these clips he's finding spotlight TERRIBLE pitches. Almost all of the examples I've seen show hanging sliders, and middle-of-the-plate cheeseballs that ANY major leaguer would hit. These ****bois are using this to completely discredit just how ****ing DOMINANT the Astros bats have been the last 3 seasons. Were they cheating? Probably. Is that why they won the WS in 2017? Absolutely ****ing NOT.

cmoak1982, Cold Hard, arkoe and 2 others like this.
  4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

The banging thing is dumb as ****. Those YouTube videos show nothing at all.

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

I don't understand the argument here. You're basically implying the Astros only cheat when there's little upside but stopped cheating when the stakes got to the highest level (Fiers didn't pitch in the postseason so obviously he couldn't have confirmed they did it then). You are also again blaming the messenger, the same reasoning people here vitriolically did when the Taubman incident first came out. Funny how that one turned out eventually despite Astros fans consistently tried to paint it inititally as a woman with an axe to grind.

6. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Ive not watched any of those networks since the end of game 7 unless it’s a live sporting event otherwise I’ll stay away as long as I can

BigM likes this.
  7. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Yeah I’d say it’s been at least 3 or 4 months since I’ve watched any of it. It’s nice not to argue with the television. I did watch a few of the FS1 postgame shows after wins.

Rock Block likes this.
  8. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I don't know what to think. It seems pretty damning with all that evidence coming out of the woodwork. The funny thing is I saw all these games and I don't recall any banging noises like that. I find drumming during games to be pretty annoying, like is done in Oakland, so I'm surprised I wouldn't have picked up on those noises. But, I'll wait and see what the investigation concludes. I'm really pissed off at the team if this is true, though. They deserve whatever hate they get if this turns out to be true. Even if not true, I think the damage is already done and the hate is out there already.

Based on how they hit on the road versus at home, it wasn't even necessary apparently. That is one of the reasons I have my doubts about the validity of it all. Unless we're saying they employed another method to cheat on the road as well. lol

arkoe and conquistador#11 like this.
  9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I’m not sure she didn’t have an axe to grind. But it was proven her account was accurate.

htwnbandit likes this.
  10. awc713

awc713 Member

i mean...it shows our dugout potentially trying to communicate with the batter, but yeah, doesn’t show anything related to cameras, video-taping, etc...

htwnbandit likes this.
  11. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Fiers needs an unexpected-unwanted guest inside his home waiting for his arrival.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

let’s kill a guy for speaking the truth.

classy Astros fans. Way to let sports make you into monsters

htwnbandit and conquistador#11 like this.
  13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

this is how I picture you

[​IMG]

14. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I’m not implying anything. The article features no concrete evidence that the Astros electronically stole signs during the 2017 postseason. Every example cited is from the regular season.

If anyone is implying anything, it’s people automatically assuming the Astros electronically stole signs during the playoffs because there’s evidence they did so during the regular season. Don’t you think there should be hard evidence of a team illegally stealing signs in the playoffs before people accuse them of cheating to win the World Series? There should be a high standard required to prove such an accusation. This article doesn’t meet it.

Also, I’m not blaming the messenger, but it’s perfectly fair to evaluate their credibility. One of the writers of the piece, Drellich, has gone on radio shows alleging the Astros tried to get him fired when he covered the team for the Houston Chronicle. The player in question, Fiers, is an ex-Astro that sucked so bad in the second half of that season that he was left off the playoff roster. Rosenthal, the other writer, is part of the group of reporters upset about the Astros’ response to the domestic violence issue after game six of the 2019 ALCS, so he has an axe to grind, too. Also, the story is about how baseball has a widespread problem with teams electronically stealing signs, yet the headline says the Astros cheated to win the 2017 World Series and makes them the primary focus of the piece. Does that seem objective to you?

Then, consider the timing. It’s not like the story broke a few days or weeks after the Astros won the 2017 World Series. This is two years after the fact. Why did Mike Fiers have no problem accepting his World Series ring last season, but he decides now is the right time to be part of a hit piece against the organization?

This week, Buster Olney at ESPN wrote a piece focused on how George Springer should be a free agent this season if the Astros didn’t manipulate his service time before his initial call up. Instead of making the story about how teams across the sport have used the service time rules to their advantage (Cubs: Bryant, White Sox: Eloy Jimenez, etc), he singled out the Astros’ treatment of Springer.

If you can’t see that the media has an axe to grind with the Astros right now, you are blind or choosing to ignore reality. It doesn’t mean there isn’t some truth in these stories, but, as of now, there’s no proof that the Astros cheated during the 2017 postseason. Until there is, this is a witch hunt, and it’s working.

#194 DVauthrin, Nov 13, 2019
  15. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Exactly. The argument against the roided-out era was that the drug user's numbers went way up one year all of a sudden. But the Astros appeared to still be themselves on the road.

16. solid

solid Contributing Member

It's called "intelligence gathering!" This kind of stuff has been going in sports forever. Don't think you can ever get rid of all of it. What about "tittygate" in National's stadium. Cole was getting "signs!"

17. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

This would all be sweeter if we actually won this year.

msn and Houstunna like this.
  18. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

It will be even sweeter if we win next year when we will probably have MLB babysitters in our dugouts watching every move.

19. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Fiers doesn’t deserve to be physically harmed for being a part of the story. However, what truth did he share? Do you have some hard evidence of the Astros electronically stealing signs during the 2017 postseason that nobody else seemingly does? Because, that’s what the article’s headline implies, and, now, you have members of the national media and fans of the Dodgers saying that they are the real 2017 World Series champions, despite the fact nobody has proven the Astros illegally stole signs during the 2017 playoffs.

#199 DVauthrin, Nov 13, 2019
  20. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

That's gangsta.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.