1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Baltimore 4 point fav

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by AstrosRockets1818, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Isn't it the standard break for the Ravens?

2. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Have to come out on fire right out the gate and take the lead early that way they have to go away from the run game.

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Don’t really like the Texans in a shootout.

The KC game needs to be the model. Control the TOP and really try to establish the ground game.

5. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Public loaded up on Baltimore. Fade the public and take Texans and the points.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Just about every team in the NFL would like to win like that, but the reality is KC's run defense is arguably the worst in the league while Baltimore's is one of the best.

I think this game will be very grindy and eventually it will come down to whose QB is better because they will be forced to make plays. The question is how long will the grind last. If the run is abandoned early you can expect a gunslinging competition with a high scoring variance. If the run isn't abandoned we could see a 13-10 game with the margin of error simply being a turnover or a few impressive third down conversions.

I'm not dead set on a high scoring affair as a path to victory, but I am dead set on winning the QB battle as a path to victory. The more important Lamar Jackson's arm is to Baltimore's victory, the better chance we have.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

While I don't necessarily disagree, the Browns ran for 200 yards and 3 TDs on the Ravens earlier this year. I know adjustments are made, and division games are always wacky, but there's a blueprint there that the Texans might be able to emulate to an extent. Hyde and Johnson have been a potent duo so far this season, and I think when you take into account the RPO-heavy offense we've been running lately, we might be able to gash them on the ground a little bit. And ultimately, if the game comes down to relying on DW4's arm, I think that's something we're all comfortable with. It's going to be an epic game either way. Can't wait.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  8. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I believe he came in at halftime in the JAX game, so not the majority.

KC game is 8 points, so technically one score plus a 2 point conversion.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

When you're good at something, and have an identity, you should try and play to that strength.

I do not think the Texans are built to win up/down the field shootouts... mainly because their defense has a hard time with containment.

I also think they're a better run-blocking team and execute runs better than they necessarily do passing. But they're also good at the RPO, quick options, quick passes that have been in place since the Atlanta game.

I agree that they need to win the QB battle.. and keeping Jackson off the field is a pretty darn good way to do that.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. Air Yordan

Air Yordan Member

Lets see what ole Billy boy has up his sleeve for this one.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  11. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

2 weeks to prepare and I think he actually has a very good record in games played after bye week.

Air Yordan likes this.
  12. Nimo

Nimo Member

Jordan Thomas was practicing too

Rudyc281 likes this.
  13. conquistador#11

Does that mean Laremy, Lotto and Bradley weren't?

I had to go back to the 1941 Bears, 1977 Bears and 2 mid 1950s version of the Bears to find another team averaging 200 rushing yards per game which Baltimore is doing.
    The 2006 Falcons averaged 180 yards per game.

Fullcourt and Rudyc281 like this.
  14. vonbock

vonbock Member

Get real guys. WHat is Texans history when they play a healthy top tier quarterback on a good team? They get blown out. The Ravens offense will destroy the Texans defense. It will be over by halftime. Of course, Watson will get some points in crunch time to make it look more closer.

15. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Now check which one won the Super Bowl.

16. showa13

showa13 Member

Last time they played a healthy established elite QB on a good team it took a career long FG to beat us. The Texans have only lost by more than a TD in one Deshaun Watson start, which includes some pretty darn good QBs. I get the sue-do cool thing to do still is hate on the Texans success but at least be accurate if you’re gonna do it

conquistador#11 likes this.
  17. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

when has Watson got blown out?

houston19519 likes this.
  18. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

He came in after halftime and was already down 19 - 0. Got outscored 10 - 7 in the second half.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Like I said, every team wants to win that way. The problem is it isn't always a feasible path to victory when you're facing a strength vs. strength scenario, which is what we're looking at here.

What is Baltimore's biggest weakness? Jackson's arm.

Provided the Texans won't just simply be able to run right over Baltimore (highly unlikely), put the game on Jackson's arm to maximize your chances, plain and simple.

You can accomplish that optimally by putting offensive pressure on the Ravens (which was rudyc's point and is well taken) and doing everything you can to stop Baltimore from moving the ball on the ground.

I'm daring Jackson to throw it deep and throw it often. Increase the variance. I can stomach a few long streaky touchdowns by the Ravens if it means that Jackson is inefficient and turning the ball over. Whether this ends up a high scoring affair or not is immaterial.

#39 DonnyMost, Nov 13, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Bold strategy Cotton.

conquistador#11 likes this.