1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[MUSIC]What Are You Listening To?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Manny Ramirez, Jun 1, 2007.

1. GIGO

GIGO Member

Damo Suzuki made this band sound like Can+Fall.

0:00 953
    5:21 Speedway
    8:39 Reggae
    12:08 Near DT, MI
    14:28 Western
    22:37 Of Schlagenheim
    29:02 bmbmbm
    33:57 Years Ago
    36:34 Ducter
    43:14 Bonus Track - A Song For Thinning Whistle (Truck)

black midi - Schlagenheim (2019)

B-Bob and FranchiseBlade like this.
  2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

3. GIGO

GIGO Member

Labi Siffre sounds like a folksy version of Sam Cooke.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  4. body slam

body slam Member

Pardi has to be one off the best things to happen to mainstream country music.

FrontRunner likes this.
  5. i3artow i3aller

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Hard to beat, I'm rediscovering...

Rashmon and BamBam like this.
  7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Amazon Prime has a new music service called Amazon Music (of course!). Members get a 3 month free trial and I’m very impressed. They have a several LP’s in Ultra High Definition (UHD = LP quality, not compressed), with more on the way. This classic by Lou Reed, produced by David Bowie and Mick Ronson, sounds incredible. With 4 songs from his Velvet Underground days done a bit differently, original material, and superb arrangements, largely by Ronson (Bowie’s lead guitarist at the time with his Spiders from Mars band), the LP was a huge hit. I’m lucky to have seen Lou more than once. Just got through listening to this again. Sweet!

[​IMG]

8. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I like this guy. I prefer soul music where the arrangements and production are given a little more attention than simply just the vocals. Manages to sound both current and retro at the same time. Album produced by Brian Burton (Danger Mouse). Good stuff.

B-Bob likes this.
  9. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

crank it...

mikol13 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  10. Rashmon

11. GIGO

GIGO Member

to honor the centennial birth year of Betty Garrett

12. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

13. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

14. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

love me some sweet lou.
    also, if you decide you want to continue with hi-res streaming after your trial, and don't want to pay the bezos, i suggest looking into qobuz.

Deckard and FranchiseBlade like this.
  15. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I bet this song has not been posted yet.

16. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Amazon Music is my go-to. I love the High Def stuff.

Deckard likes this.
  17. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

18. Rashmon

19. Rashmon

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Thanks! The sound quality is an eye opener.

Now that everything has gone digital, I don't know why anyone would want to listen to great music from what is clearly a compressed source of lower quality. While I have hundreds of LP's, many are no longer in pristine condition and haven't been for years. We had parties with upwards of 20 friends over at the house a friend and I rented in Montrose, later crammed who would fit into my garage apartment by Hermann Park (which resembled the London fog in those old Sherlock Holmes movies at times), then back to Montrose and an upstairs pad in a big house turned into a 4-plex in the 1940's (I loved that place), and went to parties with many more folks than that. I'd be asked to, "bring your new LP's!" Everyone brought what was new.

I bought 2 or 3 a week, sometimes more if the new releases were ridiculously good, which was often the case, and did that for a string of years. Heck, they were $3.99 to 4.99. A double LP, more rare, might be $6.99. A dollar was worth a dollar back then, friends, and the pure quantity of mind blowing original rock music in all its wild permutations from about 1966 on into the '70's was a trip. It's hard to describe the excitement we felt listening to KFMK, the first real underground radio station in Houston, which existed from mid-'67 through 1969. Every week, new music. Loads of new music, and the DJ's played whatever the hell they wanted to play. It could be demos they'd gotten in, frequently before the LP's were released. It was heaven.

There was also Pacifica (which was bombed more than once by lunatics). I was friends with their engineer, who went to all the parties and the camp outs we had at Paleface Park, now Pace Bend Park (and not remotely the same, but that's another story). Those parties could be rough on my records. I was careful, but friends well into really enjoying the afternoon or evening (or both) would flip through them and put new ones on. I tried be in control of my own stuff, but I was busy having fun, as well. So this uncompressed quality is turning me on. They need to produce more, and much of it is remastered. Sometimes by members of the original bands some years back, or recently, if they're still around, sometimes not. I wonder what effect that has on the original material and can have mixed feelings about it. It often outstanding, though.

GIGO and FranchiseBlade like this.