1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2019 Draft/1-23] Tytus Howard, OT, Alabama State

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 25, 2019.

?

Do you like the selection of Tytus Howard?

Poll closed Sep 5, 2019.
  1. YES

54.6%
  2. NO

45.4%
  1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Glad we drafted him over Dillard.

bilaal14 and conquistador#11 like this.
  2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

We didn't have a choice. Still if we had the chance I would have taken Dillard. Possibly even got to pick Howard in the second. But that's hindsight. Happy with what Howard has been able to do.

raining threes likes this.
  3. Two Sandwiches

I'm glad we didn't trade anything extra to get him. Could you imagine if we had traded the equivalent of Omenihu and ended up with the lesser of the two tackles?

Glad we avoided that disaster. I'm happy with how things turned out.

eliefor3 likes this.
  4. raining threes

They would've had to trade the Warring pick. I wanted Dillard bad, but I'm happy with Howard he's a ten yr starter at RT. Not a bad pick at all for the 23rd pick. I was really impressed with his play today, he gutted it out on one leg because the team needed him due to injury and did a fine job. Some of Hyde's best runs were behind Marti/Fulton/Howard, including one of Hyde's long runs. (Not the fumble run.) Matin/Fulton did a combo block and Howard handled his man.

coachbadlee likes this.
  5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

What’s it say? Had to log in or something to get pst pick 10.

red5rocket and BigM like this.
  7. conquistador#11

80 pass block grade.
    This guy might post here, I don't know but I found his enthusiasm contagious and he read out some solid stats from those fancy pay per stat subscriptions:

Shark44 likes this.
  8. Nimo

Nimo Member

Let's not revision-history too much. When Howard was drafted, the line looked very different. The Texans were looking for s starting left tackle on a line that was horrible last season. Howard didnt last long as a LT in training camp. The team was willing to put Matt Kalil there over him. If this pick was so good, they wouldn't have spent their next two 1st round draft picks on Tunsil. Tyrus has definitely benefitted from not having to be on the left, and playing beside Fulton. I never thought Howard was a bad pick. I thought he was a bad pick for a team looking for a starting left tackle on a line that was horrible last season.

Nook and raining threes like this.
  9. Two Sandwiches

If we hadn't have had Tunsil available, Howard would be at left tackle right now, and I have the confidence that he would be playing fairly well. Probably not as good as he is now, but better than Dillard.

Let's not do any kind of revision on history. That includes envisioning a line without Tunsil. Give credit where it's due, which would be to the front office for making the line over in Extreme Home Makeover-like fashion, and then tip your hat to Tunsil for being a solid rookie who will only get better. He had a massive amount of weight on his shoulders. The majority of the fan base wanted a different tackle. They wanted us to trade another player to draft someone instead of him. Everyone said he was a reach. So far, dude has quieted that criticism in a big way. He can only play where the coach puts him.

The rest of history, meaning the Tunsil picks and Howard's career, will write itself. My bet is that the fan base ends up being pleased.

Hell, we can already see the results. Look at our offensive ranks this year versus last year and 2017. That credit goes to the guy that so many love to hate, and want to see fired any given week.

10. conquistador#11

I voted that I liked the pick of Howard when the selection was made but like many I was disappointed we got jumped in front of again.

I think the traditional value scale really skews the outside noise from the talking heads. For example, they say don't draft a Guard or a center in the first round. But if that guy can make your line better, do it,like the Colts and Cowboys did. The organization believed Howard's skill set would improve the line. And with B.O.B line means anywhere from Center to Guard to Tackle. Credit to Howard for owning the position he was placed in and balling the way he has. Wade, the once pro bowl guard, said moving around the line is like being right handed and wiping with your left. If I tried wiping with the left, I'd have a Weslinder situation.

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

Taking nothing from what the Texans did to get Laremy Tunsil. I would have preferred they did it earlier and it didn't cost as much as they did but they were desperate and did what they had to do. Credit to them for that.

I disagree that Howard would be at left tackle right now if not for Tunsil. The Texans were more willing to put Matt Kalil out there over Tytus. Maybe he needed time to improve, maybe they didn't want to put too much pressure on the rookie, or maybe he was getting outplayed there. I don't know but we can't just assume Tytus would be starting at LT if not for Laremy. I think (totally my opinion based on what we saw and were told) that Roderick Johnson would have been at left tackle. He was getting more reps in practice and in preseason at LT than Howard. Tytus Howard was playing left guard.

When Tunsil was drafted, the assumption is that he was going to be the starting left tackle on a line that was probably the worst last year. I don't think Tytus was that guy and I haven't seen anything that makes me think that was not the case. The situation he is in now is perfect for him. Not a lot of pressure and a on a line with a veteran left tackle and working beside a veteran right guard.

Now about Dillard, I wanted him over Tytus. Once he was gone I wanted the Texans to either trade down or draft a different position. My disappointment was that the Texans hadn't done more in the offseason to sure up the line, especially the left tackle. Some of us, including myself, agreed that Tytus could eventually have the better career of the two. Dillard was more ready to take over a left tackle position on a bad team. They eventually did that much later. If your reason for liking the pick was because you expected the Texans to get a tackle like Tunsil, then you're a genius. But if you expected the line to remain as it was on draft day, I definitely understand the feeling of disappointment.

We can look at the results and be happy about it and not ignore the way they got here. It's okay to love Tunsil, but hate it took two picks to get him. It's okay to want Clowney gone, but hate they only got a 3rd back. It's okay to like how Tytus is playing now, but hate the pick at the time because of what the team looked like then.

Nook and raining threes like this.
  12. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Um..you wouldn't have gotten Tunsil cheaper. Miami was not trading him until they committed to the rebuild. Teams had been calling about Tunsil all offseason. People who wanted Williams from the Skins, maybe now understand why you don't trade for a player coming off surgery for cancerous growth. He won't play til next season.
    The Jalen Ramsey trade justified what you gave up for Tunsil AND Stills.

Dillard has been TERRIBLE when he has played in Philly.

Again, reports were the Texans were offered no better than a 3rd for Clowney. I think Jacob Martin will get better and help that trade look better. And now, that 3rd round pick has turned into Gareon Conley. If he shows the promised he did against the Jags, you got yourself a #2 CB under contract for 3 years.

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

I'm not doing this with you. Not today, Mr "I have to jump on anyone who says anything remotely negative about my Texans". Not today.

Nook and dmoneybangbang like this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

Not so much this week

Nook and Nimo like this.
  15. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

BTW...Clowney is having to have his knee drained multiple times and didn't practice this week. That knee is just going to get worse and teams know that.

16. dmoneybangbang

Doesn't mean we got the best haul we could have gotten for him.

Nook likes this.
  17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Again.....you were not getting a 1 or 2 from anyone.

18. dmoneybangbang

Based on what? We lost leverage the longer we let this drag out, if we would have made the decision earlier on we could have gotten a better deal.

Nook, Two Sandwiches and cmoak1982 like this.
  19. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Before the draft, the offer was 3rd round pick. That's why he wasn't trade. The leverage has nothing to do with his value then.

And before you said "where did hear or see that?" It was on a radio conversation about Clowney in April. The NFL insider said he was hearing the Texans were not getting the value offers for Clowney, saying a 3rd round pick and something else were the best they were getting.

They offered him to KC, they chose Frank Clark instead. Other teams were offered Clowney, no one took...including the Eagles.

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

"Based on stuff I made up. Even though it doesn't make sense. "