1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Michael Bloomberg for President 2020

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ubiquitin, Nov 7, 2019.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Bloomberg voters are Biden voters. Warren and Bernie should welcome it if they think Biden and Bloomberg will stay in for the duration.

Ottomaton and Ubiquitin like this.
  2. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

This candidate deserves a poll on his thread.

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/07/us/politics/michael-bloomberg-president-2020.html

A Fox News poll found in late October that Mr. Bloomberg would face more opposition than enthusiasm at the outset of a primary campaign: Presented with Mr. Bloomberg as a hypothetical entrant into the primary, 6 percent of Democratic primary voters said they would definitely support him, while 32 percent said they would never vote for him. . . .

In a Democratic race, Mr. Bloomberg would face a battery of complicated questions about his political ideology and governing record. He has been a vigorous advocate for core liberal causes, like gun control and battling climate change. But as mayor Mr. Bloomberg also championed police searches that targeted black and Latino men, and in an interview last fall, he defended his administration’s stop-and-frisk policing strategy.​

RayRay10 and B-Bob like this.
  5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I’d vote for him.
    Don’t see how he has a chance in the democratic primary. don’t think he’s really running

Nook and FranchiseBlade like this.
  6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Bloomberg’s platform always similar to Hillary’s as a neoliberal technocrat, I.e. market driven experiments that provide data for solutions.

The problem has been that people don’t like their lives toyed with, and the opposition is easy to frame those policies that way.

7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

8. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

**** politics

**** the media

This is more of a spectacle put on to serve the bottom line than it is serious discussion about how to move our country forward and solve problems

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Virginia is doomed.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  10. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

Bloomberg is right: the current crop of democratic candidates are terrible. I can see you guys here on the left trying to convince yourselves, day in and day out, to like x or y candidate.

And for sure, you will vote whoever is on the democratic ticket, but I can hardly see you love any one of those buffoons enthusiastically. Remember most of you guys are hard left, then what about those independent and moderates like me?

Nanny Bloomy is a crook too, he made a dirty deal with corrupt city council and got a illegal third term. And I will never vote somebody trying to ban large size soda.

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

It would make much more sense for these NY Wall Street billionaires who are worried about Biden and Warren at the top to just put their financial backing behind someone already in the race like Corey Booker or Amy Klo.

The truth is Warren is a serious candidate because the base actually is tired of billionaires running the country into the ground and continuing to suck dry the middle class. That resentment is real and it’s incredibly narrow minded and frankly narcissistic for someone like Bloomberg to not see it.

Someone like Warren doesn’t rise to the level shes at now unless there is a real grassroots movement to shift the power back to the middle class. People are just really really pissed off at Wall Street and Silicon Valley billionaires. It’s unbelievable that someone like Bloomberg and frankly Steyer to not see that and actually do something productive about it.... like funding voting rights groups, etc.

I don’t think Bloomberg is really going to end up seriously running because someone somewhere has to tell him the truth that he has no chance with the serious animosity in the country at the moment aimed at people just like him... even though yes he’s a very smart guy, and is generally a good person with good executive leadership skills. He might actually be a good president but the times do not call for another billionaire president.

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Also super important point... the states where this animosity towards the billionaire class is at its highest... the most important blue collar swing states that Trump won in 2016.

According to Cook, just today saw Warren polling 4 or 5 points higher than even Biden in those states (Mich, Wisc, Penn). People here really look at Warren and don’t really get it and think she’ll get crushed in the general and someone like Bloomberg has a better chance at beating Trump.

I just don’t think people really get it. Those people were pissed enough to vote for Donald J Trump. The last thing those voters who are that pissed want to do is show up to vote for a Wall Street billionaire. They voted for Trump cause they saw his as a billionaire who was an outsider to this Wall Street class and would be a hand grenade thrown in the room.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  13. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

14. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Boy are you going to be shocked when you hear how President Trump has described North Korea and Kim Jong Un!

Nook, JuanValdez, Rashmon and 4 others like this.
  15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Good lord.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  16. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

"Mike Bloomberg Apparently Running For President For Some Reason":

The latest news, of course, comes amid polls that show Elizabeth Warren on the rise against Biden to the point where the race for the Democratic nomination seems destined to become a choice between her progressivism and the center-left positions for which Biden is currently seen as being the primary advocate. With some Democrats concerned that Biden’s campaign, while it remains in the lead nationally, and polling strongly in all four early primary and caucus states, is slipping, Bloomberg apparently believes that this center-left wing, which could also at least theoretically be occupied by South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg. Bloomberg’s moves, while preliminary, are obviously a reflection of his belief that if Biden’s campaign somehow collapses there could be nobody capable of stopping Warren and giving her the nomination, something that many believe will make Trump’s re-election far more likely.

While all of that may be true, it’s hard to see how Bloomberg getting into the race at this point is going to make a significant difference. For one thing, with just 88 days until the Iowa Caucuses, it’s hard to see how a candidate who has not participated in any of the debates, not campaigned on the ground, and not hired campaign staff or courted endorsements in any of the early states as far as we know is going to be able to run anything approaching a viable campaign. Yes, he could potentially overwhelm the other candidates when it comes to campaign spending but, as we’ve seen before, money only goes so far in a political campaign. Finally, there’s the fact that polling has consistently shown little support for a Bloomberg candidacy among Democrats. If Bloomberg wants to have an impact on the race, he would be better advised to use SuperPACs and other means to advocate for the candidate he supports, or against those he opposes. Stepping into the race with what appears in all respects to be an entirely quixotic bid for the Presidency.​

https://www.outsidethebeltway.com/mike-bloomberg-apparently-running-for-president-for-some-reason/

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Please....

After and compared to Trump, virtually everyone running for public office is a saint.

Andre0087 likes this.
  18. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If he wants to waste his time and money, that's okay with me, I guess. I know that since he's a real billionaire, he really gets under Trump's skin so that will be fun to watch. Other than that, I don't really care.

The field is already too crowded.

19. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

more political entertainment, courtesy of the Federalist

https://thefederalist.com/2019/11/08/michael-bloomberg-is-the-answer-to-a-question-nobody-is-asking/

Michael Bloomberg Is The Answer To A Question Nobody Is Asking
    Fiscally sound, gun- and soda-grabbing Michael Bloomberg is the presidential candidate nobody wants.
    November 8, 2019
    By David Marcus

Michael Bloomberg was a very good mayor of New York City. He might even get a bridge named after him. He took the reigns from Rudy Giuliani, the greatest mayor in the history of cities, and kept Gotham on the right track. Without Michael Bloomberg, the Brooklyn Nets likely would not exist, and so for that alone I owe him gratitude. But let’s be real for a New York minute, the number of people who want Bloomy to be president of the United States can probably be counted on no hands.

Bloomberg is an effective manager. If he were your boss, you’d feel very comfortable about the future of your company and position, but you would also be vexed by the fact that the soda machine in your office only carried V8 and pomegranate juice. Bloomberg’s political style, which emerged and evolved over his three terms as mayor is basically, “I’m a billionaire, I dated Diana Ross, and I’m going to tell you what you can and cannot do.”

Michael Bloomberg was once a Republican. Following in the footsteps of Rudy Can’t Fail, he secured a third straight term of GOP leadership in Gotham. The city was hopping. It was like “Mad Men” and “Sex in the City” out on a hot date. He helped carry us past 9/11 into a mid 2000s of decadent debauchery and Brooklyn high-rises. And then he became an independent. An independent.

Now Mike wants to be a Democrat or maybe just team up with Justin Amash and do a national, “I’m morally superior to you” stadium tour. Bloomberg is the answer to a question nobody is asking. I get it, some mythical, nameless Democrat donors are queasy about Elizabeth Warren and her little red Medicare for all plan. Don’t be surprised if one of those donors is named Michael Bloomberg.

But let’s be frank. All the gold in Fort Knox could not get Michael Bloomberg elected president. There is a simple reason for this, the man’s entire raison d’etre is an anti-fun agenda that slowly sucks the joy out of life and replaces it with cogs turning wheels in the factory of progress. Nobody wants that. Running the country through the deflavorizing machine, as Woody Allen once put it, is not a winning message.

But one thing to know about Michael Bloomberg is that he isn’t dumb. He knows he’s more likely to be elected pope than president, but he knows what he’s doing. Now that gun-grabbing, pretty boy Beto is out of the race, there is nobody running in the repeal the Second Amendment lane. That’s where Mike comes in. Bloomberg 2020: Strong Fiscal Management and Gun Confiscation.

As I wrote back in 2016 when Trump was elected, New York City is now the center of federal power; D.C. is more like the lake house. But regardless of what Frank Sinatra says, making it here does not mean you can make it anywhere. Michael Bloomberg has a solid legacy, and he’s a better retail politician than most people outside New York would know. But he is completely ill-suited to the current political moment.

There may be some significant segment of the Democratic voting base that says, give me the safest hand at the rudder even if it constricts my freedom. But all the current candidates fit that bill. The Republican Michael Bloomberg of 2002 would be a compelling and potentially significant entry into the 2020 Democratic primary. The “Hey, I’m a Democrat!” Michael Bloomberg of 2019, not so much.

You kind of have to feel bad for the Democratic primary. It dutifully holds its town halls and debates, but the other network has the Game of Thrones impeachment inquiry that sucks up all the ratings. A very special episode with Michael Bloomberg isn’t going to change that.

The frustrating thing about Bloomberg is that he really is an effective leader and manager. He did some wonderful things in the Earth’s capital. But his Fran Drescher nanny routine has become his lock, stock, and trade. And no reasonable conservative or even moderate can trust him.

The American people are up for a fight. It’s the electoral equivalent of Daniel Day-Lewis and Liam Neeson at the top of “Gangs of New York.” Bloomberg’s wet blanket “lets be calm and calculated” shtick is the last thing anybody wants. Michael Bloomberg is a good and decent man, was a great mayor, an out-of-sight businessman, but that’s not what the people want right now. The people want fighters. Bloomberg is a nice guy, and as the saying goes, we know where they finish.

David Marcus is the Federalist's New York Correspondent. Follow him on Twitter, @BlueBoxDave.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Yep. This is just another Scrooge McDuck candidate looking for a vanity project to burn money on.

More cash for media companies and advertising firms, so good for them.

FranchiseBlade likes this.