1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

One Guaranteed win: Ravens or Colts or Patriots

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Nov 7, 2019.

?

If you could have one guaranteed win, which one?

1. at Baltimore

5 vote(s)
    8.1%
  2. vs Colts

35 vote(s)
    56.5%
  3. vs Patriots

22 vote(s)
    35.5%
  1. Nimo

Nimo Member

Some bye week discussion:

If you could pick one of the next three games as a guaranteed win, which would you pick?

at Ravens (Conference win, likely AFC North division winner, Playoff bye implications, regular season win at one of the best teams in the AFC)

vs Colts (Division win, a loss will give Colts the tie breaker for division title)

vs Patriots (Conference win, likely AFC East division winner, Playoff bye implications, regular season win vs one of the best teams in the AFC)

2. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Colts without a doubt. Based on remaining schedule it's not hard to see them getting to 10 wins. Can't give away the division tiebreaker by losing to them a second time.

3. conquistador#11

Why not 2? Wins v the Ravens and Colts, lose in overtime to the patriots.

4. Nimo

Nimo Member

Some would feel better about beating Brady than beating Jacoby (or Hoyer). Also some are jumping the gun and thinking about securing a first round bye where beating either the Patriots or the Ravens would help. But i'm with you, gotta secure the division title before thinking first round bye. When the Colts beat the Dolphins this week, they'll jump back into the division lead. A win in Houston, will give the Colts the edge in securing the division and Texans will be left fighting Buffalo and Pittsburgh for a wild card spot.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  5. Nimo

Nimo Member

I'll even take three. But if I could rank them I would go Colts, Ravens, Patriots.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  6. Nimo

Nimo Member

Colts remaining schedule (3 teams with winning records - 2 on the road):
    vs Miami
    vs Jax
    at Texans
    vs Titans
    at Bucs
    at Saints
    vs Panthers
    at Jax

Texans remaining schedule (3 teams with winning records - 1 on the road):
    at Ravens
    vs Colts
    vs Patriots
    vs Broncos
    at Titans
    at Bucs
    at Titans

It's very possible both teams end up with the same record. Texans need to hand the Colts their first division loss to even the score.

red5rocket likes this.
  7. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

In the scenario where everyone wins out after the respective meetup

A guarantee win against the Ravens basically will give us second seed if both team wins it out the rest of the win.

A guarantee win against the colts = we don't give them h2h which will b beneficial in deciding 2nd seed

A guarantee win against the patriots = jack sht in terms of playoffs implication, we won't get that first seed, but i guess braggin rights of beating the patriots

8. Nook

Nook Member

If the Texas go 5-2 the remainder of their schedule, they should be pretty excited.

I think 4-3 is the most likely outcome.

The Colts appear to have the easier schedule. The Saints game is likely a loss and the Texans game is a coin flip.

9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I don't think the Jags are easy wins for the Colts

Foles could play well

10. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I want them all.

I'd much rather win the Patriots game and get that monkey off our back. It'd give this team the most confidence it's had in a long long time. It's also set up a potential bye. I may regret this, but I think we're a playoff lock. Beating the Patriots would set us up for the long term bye, give us confidence, and I think they're the hardest matchup of the three teams. Don't need anything guaranteed against the other teams.

Nimo and Rudyc281 like this.
  11. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Ravens.

Be able to go to Baltimore and get a win on the road against The 2nd if not 1st best team in the AFC.

12. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Colts. That was a fluke ass win in Indy. Texans take care of business on the 21st. I’m expecting 2-1 with the next 3 games.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  13. Nimo

Nimo Member

What monkey? The game is in Houston and Texans have already beaten the Patriots at home. I think avenging last year's playoff lost might be the bigger monkey, if you will. If they get swept by the Colts in the regular season after losing last year in the playoffs, we have a new monkey.

Being a playoff lock and being a division winning lock are two very different things. If they make the playoff as a wild card, it doesn't matter that they beat the Patriots in week 12.

I actually think the Ravens are a harder matchup than the Patriots. The defense will have a hard time trying to figure out the Ravens rushing attack; especially sans Watt and Clowney.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Our run defense is much stronger than our pass defense. I think Brady presents a harder challenge, but both will definitely be tough.

Deshaun should have some juice for both matchups, bit for different reasons.

15. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Under BOB they're 0-5 though. Showing an ability to coach at his mentor's level is probably the biggest sign of growth to inspire confidence.

16. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Colts pushed us around...imposed their will on us.

17. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Not really. Jacoby was throwing against our practice squad secondary. We get Joseph, Roby, Johnson, and Conley on the field and Jacoby goes back to the game manager that he is

Fulgore likes this.
  18. Nimo

Nimo Member

I agree that the Texans have a better rush defense than pass defense. However, the Patriots offense isn't what it used to be. They don't have good receivers outside of Edelman. Plus Texans run defense has been against traditional offenses. This is different. The Patriots were a top 5 rush defense until last week vs the Ravens. They gave up 210 yards, now they're 12th. On the flip side I think the Patriots have a better defense than the Ravens and the Texans offense will have a tougher time trying to move the ball against New England.

I think (hope) Deshaun has juice to want to avenge last year's playoff loss and do what it takes to win the division.

I personally don't care about beating New England in the regular season at home. Get to the playoffs and beat them there.

19. Nimo

Nimo Member

Texans should have had that game. Penalties and mistakes did them in.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  20. raining threes

Gotta beat the Colts to get a top 3 seed.