1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Official] Astros Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I really hope Houston only trades Marisnick if they get really really good value in return. Not only is he a pretty good proven player and easily one of the 10 best defensive OF in the league, he’s obviously extremely well liked by the players and coaches and he’s a helluva lotta fun to watch play. His salary isn’t very meaningful in the greater scheme of things (<1.5% of total payroll), so getting rid of him in a salary dump would be a real shame and waste.

Smacktle, htwnbandit, awc713 and 5 others like this.
  2. HTown2017Champs

For some reason, I thought his arb would be higher (like, 5M). $3M is still a solid value for everything he offers. Keeper for at least one more year. Definitely dump Reddick's $$$, use to go after Grandal.
    I'd even consider shopping Osuna, $10M is steep for an average (IMO) closer, especially one who is VERY controversial to say the least (not going into that further). Explore options, like Treinen if he's non-tendered. Kick the tires on Yates (SD) maybe?
    For SP, I definitely believe we should do an outside singing/trade if we can't keep Cole. Urquidy is still unkown, LMJ may not be 100% immediately, and Whitley is still not big league ready. If Wheeler is too much, Wood, or Matt Boyd if DET will deal him for a reasonable cost.

3. Nook

Nook Member

They really like Zach Wheeler.

4. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Sure, but will they win a bidding war against all the teams that lose out on Cole and Strasburg?

That's why I said I would be surprised.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Why is your opinion of Osuna that he is an average closer?

chievous minniefield likes this.
  6. awc713

awc713 Member

probably because he is not Mariano Rivera

Marteen and Madmanmetz like this.
  7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Its possible Houston goes straight after Wheeler and signs him before Cole or Strasburg sign. I wouldn’t be surprised if Wheeler signs this month.

mikol13 and Nook like this.
  8. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I really like what Jordan Lyles did in Milwaukee. Might be a nice reclamation project. Though Brewers probably put up a fight to keep him.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You’re probably right. I’m curious as to what fans expect out of a closer. Osuna had a better save percentage, more saves and less blown saves than Hader (for example). That being said, I’d rather have Hader than Osuna, but to say he is average, then one expects way too much out of a closer.

10. Screaming Fist

Strictly discussing on-field performance, Osuna is an above-average reliever but is nowhere near the guy the Astros thought they were getting. To add insult to injury, Giles regained his form last season and was far more effective than Osuna.

texans1095 likes this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

Honestly, yes I do think there is a solid chance that they would win a bidding war for Wheeler.

If the number goes north of 100 million then it would be less likely, but the Astros do believe in him.

There are a lot of pitchers on the market, and a fair share of bats as well.

We know the Red Sox and Cubs are cutting payroll and the Cardinals are more interested in resigning their own players.

The Nationals are going to be lucky to keep their two best players.

The Padres and Angels and Twins and Giants and Rangers and White Sox have money to spend.

texans1095 likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

What makes you believe that Osuna isn't the player they thought they were getting?

He has done with the Astros exactly what he has done through out his career.

Also, there is no way that the Astros would have any trust or comfort in Ken Giles and would make the trade again if presented with the opportunity.

The Astros also have an extra year of arbitration control with Osuna.

13. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Exactly. Marisnick is an OG too, been here since the dump years.

14. AirPower

AirPower Member

I would hate to lose the guy. It seems like he is good for team chemistry as well.

But.... it's a business, and if losing him gives us a better chance to win I guess it is what it is.

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Anybody know Evan Gattis’ status? I figure it’s highly unlikely, but I would love it if he has been getting healthy and could spend a year as the backup catcher.

awc713 likes this.
  16. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Wasn't his catching beyond suspect? I liked Evan especially given where he came from and what he suffered with. But there really is no position for him on a major league team.

17. elrond

elrond Member

I'm really hoping for a Springer extension. Just love the way that dude plays and always get a bit verklempt hearing him talk about his stuttering work. I keep thinking, assuming we only have one player in the HR derby, who makes more sense, Springer or Alvarez? I think we saw this year that Bregman doesn't really have the extra power to get into the bonus time.

On another note, slowly going back over some of the previous articles, now that I'm awakening from my Astros related depression. This was probably one of my favorite articles:
    https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27972114/houston-astros-great-team-fell-short-true-greatness

Not sure if most of you saw the previous spring training promo, but I got a kick out of it when I came across it earlier during the postseason this year. Was gonna post it after we won the WS, but we all know how that turned out :(.

18. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

No doubt Giles rebounded but it was in a low pressure environment and the is no way in hell AJ wants Giles back. The dude punched himself in the face and screamed at AJ on the field. Osuna isn't Rivera, nobody is Rivera. Closer get beat this day and age ask Chapman, Hader, Jensen, Kimbrel...

19. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

heard a rumor last week shortly after the WS that the astros are at least targeting Rendon. hometown guy, recently bought two lots in memorial... it ould definitely be an interesting move.

20. SemisolidSnake

[QUOTE="elrond, post: 12697139, member: 10177"I keep thinking, assuming we only have one player in the HR derby, who makes more sense, Springer or Alvarez? I think we saw this year that Bregman doesn't really have the extra power to get into the bonus time.

now that I'm awakening from my Astros related depression...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I feel that. It wasn't as bad as I expected for me, but it's certainly left me with a lot of doubt going forward. Still, I enjoy hanging out with you guys, so I don't mind talking about trivial baseball topics after having some time off from here. Certainly, spending time in the GARM is like choosing to get relief from the rack by choosing the iron maiden.

Alvarez would be the obvious choice for the HR Derby in my book. Hell, he basically put on his own derby in Baltimore cranking one out against a lobbed pitch from a position player.

However, I really want to see him get a good handle on his swing and plate approach next season before even considering letting him take on the Derby just in case it does have the effect of throwing off a player's swing.