1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 31, 2019.

1. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

I think Mad Bum has enough mileage to be questioned for a longterm deal from a random. May receive hometown sweetheart deal. Only possible target's are Odorozzi & Wheeler imo

2. awc713

awc713 Member

I think we’ll sign Sanchez. He’s should get around 5/6m in arbitration IIRC. That’s a valuable asset all things considered, especially when you consider how desperate some teams are for SPs.

I could see him sent off on his own, or even paired with Reddick and a prospect like Martes to ship off Reddick’s salary if need be. That said, the cases for Sanchez and Marisnick are intriguing. I love Jake, and I’m sure the clubhouse does as well, but we seem to have his replacement in Straw all but lined up.

lw17 likes this.
  3. raj87

raj87 Member

I wonder when we’ll see Cristian Javier on the big club? He has been lights out.

IowaAstro, Fiah and awc713 like this.
  4. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When we initially made the trade, I thought it was a great way to get a #3 starter upside under arb control. But, it depends on his injury. I’ve seen some speculation he may be out the first half of the year or more — that makes it hard to justify paying him.

5. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

Pomeranz is intriguing based on his results as a reliever this season.

HTown2017Champs and AznH-TownFan like this.
  6. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

I think it can be expected for Sanchez to be brought back. We made that trade for him...

7. Nook

Nook Member

Wheeler is aiming for a deal similar to Corbin...6/140.

I think he gets less because of serious injury concerns and Corbin was coming off a really strong year. Also there are a number of others on the market.

The team to keep an eye on is the Twins who have a need for starters and can add payroll. The Yankees also could make a run.

There will be a QO to Wheeler so he will cost a #1 which may push his cost down a little.

My guess is 4/80 is a number the Astros would go to.... probably a little more.

8. Nook

Nook Member

Pomeranz threw a lot harder out of the pen, he sat 96-98 on his fastball. Daniel Hudson is another starter turned reliever that threw a lot harder out of the pen... it comes down to contract costs for guys like these.

Brandon Morrow is another. He is coming of injuries but has been completely dominant when healthy and is a good buy low candidate. Same with Trevor Rosenthal.

Jeremy Jeffress is another.

Lots of risky but high upside guys, just a matter of not over paying.

everyday eddie likes this.
  9. HTown2017Champs

A's are considering non-tendering Treinen, who is in his final year of club control. If they do, I'd take a flier. Nasty stuff, just one year removed from a DOMINANT campaign. Coming off injury, if he stays healthy, I'd love to see what Strom can do with him.
    More I think about it, the more concerned I am with Wheeler's injury history. VERY high upside, LOVE his stuff, but health is a very legitimate concern if we were to pour a lot of money on a long-term deal. What do you think he'd command?
    A 1-year prove it deal for Alex Wood would be great, though I don't see us doing that.

10. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

4/80 seem's like the limit from my ear. If we're willing to do that going ball to wall, for 7 years on Cole isn't insane

11. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

I'd wish as a a fan. We can put forth a stronger team than last season. Brantley isn't getting traded. Reddick, sure. Sign 2 starters. Resign bullpen arms and expect 100 wins

12. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

I 100% believe Cole is gone fwiw

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

players who seem like a good fit at a good price:

Grandal
    Wheeler
    Ryu
    Gibson
    Odorizzi
    Hamels
    Pineda
    Harris
    Pomeranz
    D’Arnaud
    Porcello
    Castro
    Lyles
    Hudson
    Bailey

If Chirinos is going to get $9M I hope it’s not from the Astros. Houston is lucky there is such a deep starting pitching crop in the year they need it.

15. right1

right1 Member

Deadline today for teams to make QO's. Bumgarner and Wheeler will probably receive offers. Maybe Odorizzi gets one from the Twins. Keuchel and Ryu are ineligible to receive a Qualifying Offer.

16. Screaming Fist

Blows my mind that some team did not lock up Grandal last off season. Brewers got a 5 win FA last season for very cheap.

17. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Coming from a casual (e.g. you can call me crazy and i probably won't dispute it) Astros fan, what are the odds that we sign Rendon, move Bregman to SS, and trade Correa for top prospects? Rendon didn't bite on the 7/210 offer from the Nationals but maybe he'll bite to not only come home and play in front of his family but also to avoid paying state income tax?

18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

0%.

Why:

Houston could not get fair value for Correa.
    Houston can not afford a $220M+ contract.
    Houston needs pitching more than a 3B.

The logic for Houston signing Rendon (he is from Houston and is a very good player) pales in comparison to the logic for why it cannot happen.

steddinotayto likes this.
  19. Screaming Fist

Gibson looks like he could provide good value with a relatively low AAV and similar projected WAR as Ryu and Wheeler. Excellent secondary pitches and the ability to generate both GBs and Ks.

20. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member