1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did the Rockets make a mistake not re-signing Iman Shumpert?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Yordan, Nov 2, 2019.

?

Did the Rockets make a mistake not re-signing Iman Shumpert?

1. Yes

25 vote(s)
    28.4%
  2. No

63 vote(s)
    71.6%
  1. JackLordsHair66

This is beginning to look concerningly so, he has looked awful Shumpert wouldn't help all that dramatically on d and he was pretty bad offensively last year so doubt he would have moved the needle much at all.

2. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

What will it take to get draymond?

Highlyrated likes this.
  3. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

We need interior d ,not perimeter d

4. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

We already have plenty of guys who can't shoot, so no.

5. Air Yordan

Air Yordan Member

Sounds like we need some D :eek:

6. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Somebody probably stated this already but I stopped checking after the third post. You guys do know....we offered him a contract. He turned it down.

7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I voted yes - but its not due to his play or the assumption that he could help fix this mess - I don't believe he is the solution.

My Yes vote is strictly about an asset and movable salary.

What they should have done was sign him to a what amounts to an expiring contract - (bird contracts have to be three years but the 2nd and 3rd don't have to be guaranteed) just below to the point that BYC is triggered. I forget what the exact numbers were but they could have had $12-13m contract to move allowing them to take back 125% of that for a player that can actually help solve their problems.

As it stands now , all they have of substance is two small TPE's and it appears that they will let those expire.

8. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Did Clutch make a mistake giving you thread starting privileges? Yes. 100% of voters agree.

D-rock likes this.
  9. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

He’s so clearly the key to improving this team that the other 29 teams have also chosen to not sign him.

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I'd like to think Morey was thinking bigger as well …. I just don't think he has a whole hell of a lot to work with in terms movable salary to make a bigger move.

Its hard to trade Capela because you really need what he brings in the pick and roll game that spreads the floor and makes this entire offense tick. Do you really expect to move him , find an upgrade at the 3 or 4 spot AND bring back a Capela replacement? That's a big ask.

Doubt they move Tucker , he's a big part what makes this team tick and in the locker room.

I keep coming back to the same conclusion - dump Anderson and Hartenstein for nothing, use the two TPE's on incoming players NOW and make a move at the deadline.

We know they offered Shumpert a contract but it was probably vet min with a few incentives …. not the ready built $12m expiring it should have been constructed as - that the league couldn't shoot down instead of playing games with the Nene contract.

They have wasted an awful lot of assets since Tilman took over all in the name of avoiding the tax , so Anti-Morey to do. I don't know how they improve this team now.

napalm06 likes this.
  11. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

resign mianimal and shampert

12. Air Yordan

Air Yordan Member

What is your deal?

13. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Use your instincts.

14. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Shumpert is trash. We made a mistake trading assets for him and dumping salary in the first place.

15. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Iman would be a PF/C like Thabo

16. lionaire

lionaire Member

Seeing as though he's better than McLemore and Sefolosha, I have no choice but to say yes.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Joe Tsai is cheap!

Having signed with the Nets on November 13, Shumpert quickly entered the club’s rotation, averaging 4.2 PPG and 2.6 RPG in 13 games (18.5 MPG). He didn’t shoot well during his time in Brooklyn (.328/.242/.571), but he provided head coach Kenny Atkinson with another reliable perimeter defender.

D-rock and Vivi like this.
  18. RealRocFan47

RealRocFan47 Member

Not sure if better than BMC

19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

You quoted a tweet from early November when everyone was better than BMAC.

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

D-rock likes this.