1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Chirinos Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Htown Stros, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

I know these are generally reserved for players who aren’t resigned or retire but felt the need to do it now. I really hope we can find a way to bring this man back - ideally I’d like to see him retire in an Astros uniform. After watching him this year and getting to know more about him as a player/person, I now see why Rangers fans and his teammates there loved this guy so much. He’s such a like-able guy - I couldn’t be happier we signed him and for his success this year for us.

It would be such a great story if we do hold on and Chirinos wins the MVP. For those not familiar with his backstory, he didn’t stick in the Majors until he around ~30 years old and for a catcher that’s pretty old. He wasn’t a huge prospect so he didn’t get a massive signing bonus and spent 10 years in the minors playing for peanuts...he talks about his experience in the interview linked below.

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

He's been a pleasant surprise for sure. I didn't know much about him until he signed with us. Kind of our new Evan Gattis.

Htown Stros likes this.
  3. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

whiskeyred and King1 like this.
  4. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Likewise - I’ve lived in Dallas for six years now and the knowledgeable Rangers fans (few and far in between) that I’ve worked with around here always talked him up and were really disappointed he signed with us. Now I see why...he brings so much more to the table than just being an above average hitter for a catcher.

5. Buck Turgidson

They need to bring in another legit catcher to platoon with him. He can't and doesn't need to take the beating he's taken behind the plate, and it would absolutely keep them both from wearing down.

6. HTown2017Champs

I was on record for being VERY much against his signing. I've eaten those words. Pleasant surprise.
    That said, I wouldn't be too surprised if he retires if we win, he's 35, has an injury history, and has really taken a beating throughout his career. Thank you Chirinos, no matter what's in store after this year.

7. Major

Major Member

It sounds like Maldonado wanted to be here before this season and the Astros wanted him here too - would it be problematic to keep them both? Pitchers seem to like both of them, and they fit the team culture. There's enough offense on the team that the bat is not a huge deal, especially after Tucker replaces Reddick.

8. AkeemTheDreem86

9. Buck Turgidson

Dunno. If you're going to go platoonish (ie one guy gets 2 of 4 regular starters+, the other gets 2ish plus) you'd want someone better than Maldonado. Not sure that person exists or is financially viable or is even something the Stros are thinking about.

I just love Chirinos on this team with a reduced workload.

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I'll take a .781 OPS from a reasonably good defensive catcher as a backup

11. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Thread Theme

12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

In our effort to do some financial rearranging in the offseason, I think offense from catcher is what we may sacrifice.

I would be thrilled if we could bring back Maldonado and Chirinos as a platoon, but after his rock solid season I think some team will be willing to give Chirinos 8-10 million on a one year deal.

HTown2017Champs and Nook like this.
  13. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

I agree 100%...he’s too old to be playing as much as we played him this season and I think his decline after his hot start was somewhat related to that. Ideally would be nice to get a left handed hitting catcher to platoon with him.

14. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

I’m not so sure - I don’t think they look at it as “sacrificing offense” if we don’t bring him back. It’s the intangibles and leadership he brings this team on top of his above average hitting. I can tell you this...if JV is adamant about us resigning him, I think our management will make it a priority, and unless the price is ridiculous, I see him returning. I don’t think they’ll let him walk over $8-$10M for one season.

15. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

This would be my vote if there isn’t a lefty hitting catcher available at a reasonable price...my guess without looking it up is that’s not going to happen.

16. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think that's been a piece of his playoff resurgence. He started off the year great, but before Maldonado, Stassi was so poor that we ended up running Chirinos into the ground. I like him getting 2 days to prep with JV for game 6 (off day plus Maldonado with Cole).

17. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Thank you CHIRINOS for your contributions.

As far as next year, if he doesn't come back on the cheap or does, I'd like to go after Alex Avila, Romine or Austudillo.

Htown Stros likes this.
  18. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

I would be pretty surprised honestly - he’s got enough left in the tank clearly. His love of the game is apparent, the Verlander article I posted above and the fact he spent 10 seasons in the minors shows that.

Plus, even after getting the 1 year, $5.75M deal we gave him this season, he only has ~$13.5M career earnings and you have to consider how much goes to taxes (also have to factor in state income tax), agent fees, and other expenses. While it’s still probably enough to live very comfortably, it’s not the type of generational wealth where his kids don’t have to work one day. I find it hard to believe he’d pass up at least one more year of $8-$10M...people normally don’t retire when they have an opportunity to nearly double their career earnings by working one more year.

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Yet in his last 25 games started, he slashed .267/.343/.500/.843

20. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Yeah, after looking at his splits he actually was almost the same player in the 2nd half vs the 1st half so perhaps the real answer is he's just a really streaky hitter. His splits show some interesting things...he was a much better hitter against "finesse" vs. "power" pitchers (.825 OPS vs. .727 OPS) and he killed "ground ball" pitchers (.356/.472/.576) this season. I think everyone could have guessed that given his age, but if we are going to bring him back and have someone platoon with him, it probably makes sense to try to find a catcher who can hit better against high velocity guys, if there is even a catcher out there that fits that description as I'd assume most have similar splits as Chirinos does.