1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Staffer's Outburst at Female Reporters Illustrates MLB's Forgive-and-Forget Attitude Toward D

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Pringles09, Oct 21, 2019.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Oh, good, I can't wait to read several more pages of frustrated GamerGate rage in defense of Nelson Mandela Taubman.

topfive, Beezy, keeley and 2 others like this.
  2. Newlin

Newlin Member

Glad he's gone. What an ass clown. You don't need guys like this in your organization.

3. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Hmm, a classic case of shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted.

4. PhiSlammaJamma

The part of it is that everyone in the Astros organization from the GM to the broadcast team is a hot commodity right now because of how well the team is doing. He could have ridden that to the top easy. Wasted it. You don't even need talent, you just need to ride being in the right place at the right time.

Invisible Fan, topfive and Sajan like this.
  5. Major

Major Member

LOL at everyone here who said the reporter was lying or that there was no way to determine intent or all sorts of other inane things. Glad the Astros admitted their initial statement was wrong.

elrond, Nook, DonnyMost and 1 other person like this.
  6. likestohypeguy

No. Anyone who gives him a job going forward, is themselves promoting domestic violence by doing so.

He is not allowed to work again.

airflights92 and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm completely sure she is happy she got intimidated and taunted.

They are for the most part when the guy is talented on the field. He'll probably end up consulting for sports, but doubt he can land with an MLB team in a public role.

8. Major

Major Member

My issue was with the Astros dismissing her reporting and calling her story wrong. Fortunately, they have since apologized and said they were wrong to do that.

Nook and airflights92 like this.
  9. AstrosRockets1818

What did he say in regards towards domestic abuse? Tell me the exact words he said.
    Don’t assume. Tell me ****ing words. Because zero words were about abuse.

fiersdownbelow and J.R. like this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Saying Thank God we got Osuna is taunting? :D
    On that same note then, she was taunting him & the Astros every time she tweeted about him.

What @CometsWin said...

fiersdownbelow likes this.
  11. AstrosRockets1818

We caved like a bunch of p*****s. Why not fire him days ago then? Because the media made it a huge story and we folded like ****ing p*****s making us look even more stupid to the public now.
    And we are also folding like p*****s in the series.

fiersdownbelow and Houstunna like this.
  12. Major

Major Member

Turns out there was a definitive answer, and the Astros just didn't do much to find it out when they made their judgment.

Here was my comment on it:

3. The Astros came out in support of the guy and essentially caller the reporter a liar, and then she was backed up by multiple other reporters, all of which have something to lose and nothing to gain by doing so. It makes the Astros' position much harder to believe.

#3 is the most problematic part of it to me. If the Astros want to defend him, fine - but they need to give a lot more details. Who was he yelling that to? Why? What game situation was he talking about? None of that context should be hard to produce, and if we're wrong, we apologize. Until then, it sounds like the Astros PR department either jumped the gun without knowing the facts or is bunkering in regardless of accuracy.

I didn't say exactly what happened - I said the Astros shouldn't be saying what happened unless they knew it. And if they knew it, they should have given the details. As it turns out they did jump the gun and have since admitted it.

Instead of asking the right questions about this story, you looked for every excuse to equivocate and defend the Astros against the reporter, going all the way to the point of even making weird statements on DV itself ("I have never hit a woman and don't think I ever would but **** happens and emotions can get the best of you."). I don't even know what that was trying to accomplish.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

One drunken night and bam!

let that be a lesson kids, being a frat douche bag outside of college will get you canned.

good riddance

elrond, mikol13 and Gray_Jay like this.
  14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

you cry any louder and Trump my tweet about it

Nook likes this.
  15. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Not mad he got fired. Acted like a clown.

But he got a bad deal.

Like has been said by others, it seems like to me this was clearly just rubbing it into a particular reporters face for constantly hating on Osuna.

This was not a guy saying he doesn’t care about domestic violence or that Osunas trouble should be forgotten, but a guy saying **** you we are in the World Series and the guy who you can’t stand played a decent sized role in that.

Gray_Jay and BigM like this.
  16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

A man yelling it at a woman in an effort to taunt is taunting and intimidating. As far as I know, the Domestic Violence Hotline isn't known for hitting sports teams.

17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

The Astros were wrong in the way they handled the situation. I still don't know what Taubman did though, At best it was something unbecoming of a future GM or current assistant GM. But, I'm not sure he deserved firing. Would like to see the details MLB turned up.

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

The Astros really ought to fire the idiots who decided to attack the journalists and die on this hill to begin with.

That, to me, is almost as bad, if not worse, than what Taubman did.

Such an unforced error.

Invisible Fan, Nook and Major like this.
  19. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I'm going to update this comment as the facts have certainly changed. Since that post, I learned that Taubmann had a history of beef with the reporter over her DV comments, which adds a lot of context that was initially missing for me . It seems clear then that his actions were in part targeted against her. I was naive to think anyone could be that much of a douche in a professional setting. I support his firing, the firing of any "eyewitnesses" that may have misled the Astros, and any penalty that may be levied on the Astros for their statement in the immediate aftermath.

Apologies to @REEKO_HTOWN as he was right from the get-go.

K mf G, elrond, Invisible Fan and 7 others like this.
  20. airflights92

airflights92 Member

If god is real, she's a woman.