1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Astros Staffer's Outburst at Female Reporters Illustrates MLB's Forgive-and-Forget Attitude Toward D

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Pringles09, Oct 21, 2019.

1. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I don't get how Footer's antagonism towards the Astros over Osuna (this is the press, after all) in any way excuses Taubman's behavior or the Astro's awful response to the article. It's barely relevant.

Nook, prospecthugger and Joe Joe like this.
  3. AstrosRockets1818

So much bullshit. We gave in.

4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Guess it wasnt a non story after all.

5. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

What an idiot. Bye bye career in baseball!

6. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

It was the right thing to do. Now let's move on from this bullshit, and get back to winning some ****ing baseball games.

Nook, mikol13 and astros123 like this.
  7. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

From interest from the Red Sox to a contract extension/promotion to fired in a matter of a few weeks. Yikes.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  8. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

hopefully the baseball gods will be pleased with this move and look favorably upon our Assh... Astros

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I did remember him getting to sit at the podium for the Cole press conference... implying that he had a big role in that trade?

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

They gave into that b**** Alyson Footer.
    Keep her b**** ass out of the clubhouse.
    Somewhere she's smiling but still not satisfied because Roberto still has a job.

[​IMG]

11. awc713

awc713 Member

Taubman is likely done in the MLB. Maybe another team will take him on as an assistant or in a lesser role. I don’t know. Sad day for him...he was surely going to nab a GM spot in the very near future.

I’m a bit surprised, but this just goes to show what external pressure on this issue is capable of doing. I don’t know Taubman personally, and I’d like to hear his side of things. It’s hard to take a stance without knowing exactly what happened, so it’s sad to see everyone in the media clamor against him without hearing his side of things.

If there was a true miscommunication, then this is just a sad situation all around. If he was truly taunting or patronizing her, than he needed to go 1000%. My fear is that the headline caused a ripple affect, and the media and people just started going after him due to emotions tied to DV instead of what actually transpired. I hope that’s not the case. At this point, I sincerely hope that he actually was taunting/patronizing her. That way the firing is justified. You can’t just fire someone because of allegations alone, no matter how heinous or repulsive they are—so part of me hopes that he actually did it.

If they fired him despite believing that his intentions were misinterpreted, we’ll than that’s just as much of a travesty in my opinion. I’m not supporting what he allegedly did, but to be fired because someone’s feelings were hurt because they misinterpreted or misread something is not just.

If I had to guess what happened, I bet Taubman was blowing off steam (inappropriately) at reporters who (rightfully) criticized the Osuna trade. He probably had a big say in the trade and took their criticism personally, which is warranted since several media members, probably including those present, called for jobs and heads when the Osuna acquisition occurred. Taubman, in a moment of passion, let them hear it. I wouldn’t be surprised if Taubman wasn’t thinking about DV at all, and was more thinking “I told you so”, but alas here we are and that’s how his comments were construed. That would explain why the Astros initially refuted the story—their FO exec was just celebrating a controversial move that paid off. However, once NPR reported the history between Taubman and the reporter, he was sunk.

I guess we’ll never know. I’d love to hear more than a paragraph from Taubman. Maybe that happens now that he needs to clear his name.

#451 awc713, Oct 24, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  12. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

Good. He can go back to being a fantasy baseball expert.

13. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Should have kept his mouth shut. It wasn't a good look for the team heading into the World Series. Definitely created some haters out there who are piling that incident on as well now that we are down 0-2.

Sajan likes this.
  14. MystikArkitect

He insinuated support for a domestic abuser towards 3 women and our own beat writers corroborated the story.

Moron isn't even the word I'd use. Dude needs counseling and his wife should worry if she hasn't had a black eye already.

Sajan likes this.
  15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

This was the right move. You can't have that type of behavior or attitude reflected at the highest levels of your organization. Kid (and the Astros) learned a hard lesson. Time for everyone to forgive and move on.

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If I were to guess, they probably fired him more for lying about what happened in the incident which caused the org to back him up against SI.

He didn't eat the bullet with an apology he ultimately made the next day and got cute by denying his low key 90s sitcom flirting with footer.

What a dumb entitled b*stard. ^5

REEKO_HTOWN, awc713 and phasors28 like this.
  17. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

When you are the Assistant General Manager for an MLB team, you cannot conduct yourself towards members of the media like Taubman did, regardless of the circumstances. There’s a certain level of professional decorum expected, and he failed to meet it. His firing is not unfair or unjust.

18. phasors28

phasors28 Member

He apparently was in the wrong and deserved punishment.

What irritates me is that the SI article did not include the context of his statement. This does not change the fact he should have been punished but rather speaks to the quality of the news received today.

RocketJedi, awc713 and Houstunna like this.
  19. vince

vince Member

Wow.... And just like that his baseball career is over.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Not hardly. Sports orgs are willing to give second and third chances to guys who legit beat the piss out of women. A guy being a d******d is not a career ender.

Invisible Fan likes this.