1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New NFL rule I'd like to see

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by deb4rockets, Sep 29, 2019.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Minutes long stoppages in play for nit picky things are to all fans’ (who haven't sworn off the NFL) disadvantage.

2. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

I want to see pass interference being a 15 yd penalty instead of spot foul. 40 yd penalties are dumb.

3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Guys would interfere all the time on long passes if they did that. That would frustrate me if it was happening to us. A 15 YD gain would be a sacrificial penalty to save a 40 yard gain and possible TD.

4. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Players wouldn’t keep giving up 15 yd penalties. Pretty much all you have to do is throw a pass up and the wr flops and can be a 40-50 yd penalty. Even with the challenge the chances of the refs overturning it is slim

5. PhiSlammaJamma

There are two instances where I think the technical part of replay will oontinue to bother people and it will take a culture change. When an NBA player knocks the ball out of your hands it will almost always roll off the offensive player's fingers last. On video they will see it. But most ballers won't like that call. The NBA just has to live with it. And everyone has to get used to it.

And in the NFL the hail mary is going to be controversial because everyone is used to a lot of body contact, and if they follow the letter of the rule it's going to take a major change in everyone's approach.

#25 PhiSlammaJamma, Oct 2, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  6. SemisolidSnake

Honestly, in addition to not having a team worth rooting for while a certain black hole of a chin is still in charge, I've just come to see the NFL as a hopeless morass of rules, many of which can't even be clearly decided even with replay, and which seem to only get worse the more people try to fix them. It's like having the government run a sport.

I have no doubt that if you got the right people to look at the overal situation, you could probably solve a lot of the problems and optimize things, but that seems like it'll never happen.

I'd put John Bois in charge of that committee if I was allowed.

7. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You know what? A simple nit picky call can also be the difference between winning and losing a game when the score is close. I've seen plenty of "turn a blind eye" refs. A bad call is a bad call, and a blind eye is just lack of eyes or crooked officiating. Either way, a coach challenge might be the only way to get those kind of calls. Just limit the ridiculous amount of commercial time outs and use that time for challenge flags. It's all about making more money than being more fair.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

9. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Think the Hail Mary is somewhat of a different case because both sides are playing for the ball. Outside of something egregious, think you can chalk it up as incidental contact in most instances.

I think Belichick has got it right though, let coaches challenge everything. Don’t give them anymore challenges, just let them decide what they want to use it on. Just this past week, the Flowers hands to face call vs the Packers is easily overturned. Refs missed Watson getting hit on the head? Easily overturned, automatic 1st down.

deb4rockets likes this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

bump. continues to be a complete waste of time