1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Catalonia Spain independence referendum

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Commodore, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The government in Madrid is ****ing crazy. It's like Franco is reborn.

malakas, pippendagimp and Nook like this.
  2. omgTHEpotential

My sister lives in Barcelona with her family. She's saying the Spanish media's propaganda regarding the events unfolding in Barcelona is on Soviet Union's level.

3. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Speaking of
    Speaking of Russia.. why the hell is the Russian station in English and the English station in Spanish in Brcelano... actually the Russian and Korean station are in English...

T_Man

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I believe it. I'm shocked at Madrid's behavior towards who they claim are "their own citizens." It's Fascist, as in turning back the clock to Franco, and I'm not talking about James. I had some great times in Barcelona many years ago, and the people don't deserve what's happening to them. I'm worried that it will become really bad, like Northern Ireland was for so many years. I hope I'm wrong.

malakas and FranchiseBlade like this.
  5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's eerie how similar scenes look in Barcelona like how they look in HK. It makes me wonder if Brexit does end up going through if we see Northern Ireland and other parts of the UK looking like that too.

Nook likes this.
  6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Are there any Spaniards that are pro-Spain? Basque Nationalists, Aragonese Nationalists, Valencian Nationalists, Andalusian Nationalists and more...

Nook likes this.
  7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

And in Chilé to some extent. We have some restlessness on this planet.

8. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Spain needs to hurry up and implement UK style de-evolution. The current structure isn't sustainable over the long term. Not to suggest that UK's de-evolution is the perfect but if it hadn't been implemented, Scotland would have already seceded (although Brexit might make that happen anyway).

malakas likes this.
  9. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And Beirut and Baghdad

B-Bob likes this.
  10. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

And Papua

11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

this is the same concept going back millennia, of bringing in outsiders to police the local populace. because otherwise catalans would likely not kick/shoot fellow catalans. this is how the roman empire controlled all its different regions, and this is now why the EU wants a national army

Nook and malakas like this.
  12. malakas

malakas Member

Madrid "cares" about Catalonia especially now that they are rich.
    England on the other hand doesn't care at all about Northern Ireland. Never did and it does even less now.

13. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Can anyone recall a peaceful exit occurring? To say you want to leave means you are so hungry to leave you are willing to fight and possibly die for it. Do you think these protesters are at that point?

14. malakas

malakas Member

Yes, Slovakia left Czechia peacefully. (after both having gone through extreme oppression by the communists).

Deckard likes this.
  15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That's a great example. We were in Bratislava, the capital of Slovakia, about 3 years ago and really enjoyed it. We felt perfectly safe. It's smaller than most European capitals, not a lot over 400,000, but in a beautiful setting on the Danube. It's quirky, with bronze sculptures sitting on benches in the old part of the city, or crawling out of manhole covers. I would like to go back sometime.

A Christmas market:

[​IMG]

#55 Deckard, Oct 21, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    Nook, B-Bob, FranchiseBlade and 2 others like this.
  16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

As a tourist, I never understood how deep the separatist movement was. Thought the Catalon flags draped were like Texas flags.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  17. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

It's spreading again

18. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Thanks to all for the info...

The trip was great!!!!

Those knuckleheads were still protesting when we Disembarked...

T_Man

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

It’s spreading?

LOL it isn’t a disease and it is a good thing that when enough people are not having their needs met by the government or ruling class, that they protest or lash out.

Civil disobedience is a catalyst for change.

malakas and FranchiseBlade like this.
  20. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

I think "good" is subjective here. Sometimes protests are for the good reasons, sometimes people just get manipulated by political or foreign powers. Sometimes it can help a country move forward, sometimes it can set things back for decades. (I find especially young students who lack the life experience to understand how the world really works are more easily manipulated into pursuing unrealistic ideals cause they feel they are more "educated".)