1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sabonis on Trading Block...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JayGoogle, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Jontro

Jontro Member

he's a better looking chandsome

2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

If I were the Pelicans I'd strongly consider sending them Jaxson Hayes for Sabonis. Or somebody else on that roster. A big that can hit the three would be very valuable next to Zion.

3. magichat281

magichat281 Member

one young up coming player for a old scrub. smh

4. omgTHEpotential

Apparently a quote from today:

Domantas Sabonis: “Theres not really much to talk about. I know exactly how the Pacers feel about me now. They know how I feel about that. There’s not much more to say. I’ll let my agents do the rest of it, we’ll see what happens”

Sounds like the Pacers FO is lowballing him hard on that extension.

5. malakas

malakas Member

It also sounds there is no way he will stay even if they decide to change course and want to trade Turner.

Why did the Pacers leaked this now? Unnecessarily burning bridges with their players and pissing them off?

6. omgTHEpotential

I wonder. It might have been another team who leaked it. Danny Ainge might still be salty about how Pritchard screwed him during the Paul George negotiations.

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

First there was Buddy Hield. And now Domantas Sabonis. Gonna be interesting to see what happens.

D-rock likes this.
  8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Personally I'd trade Tucker for him over Capela.

I know Tucker is everyone's favorite player, seemingly. "Oh no, what will our defense be like without PJ?!?!?!" I don't not value PJ, and he is very solid defensively... in a way PBev was - he tries really hard at it basically. But I think Sabonis is solid defensively even if not as versatile as PJ, but gives the roster way better size, rebounding, youth, scoring and overall balance ... but for the fact MDA is allergic to actual bigs.

Jayzers_100 and BaselineFade like this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

so 3 guys around harden in the starting lineup that are unable to shoot the 3. boy is that going to be fun for harden

BaselineFade likes this.
  10. JayZ750

I think Sabonis can shoot threes. He's shot less and less every year (though at higher and higher %s). In either case, I get it's not an MDA fit, so won't happen.

BaselineFade likes this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

he doesn't. I think sabonis is solid but the fact that he isn't a stretch big, there isn't much of a fit here. I wouldn't mind him as a backup at all but from the looks of things he isn't asking indy to pay him backup money

12. omgTHEpotential

I wouldn't go as far as to call him a three-point shooter, but he can definitely knock down wide open threes at a decent clip, keeping the defenses honest. There's definitely potential there and I think later on in his career he could become more of a playmaking stretch 5.

hakeem94, BaselineFade and Vivi like this.
  13. Lovemachine2000

We already had a player like this, his name is D-Mo.

14. JayZ750

He can. Not he does. He shot them with some volume as a rookie and wasn't horrible. Then he's been more respectable %-wise since, but has been reluctant to shoot them. Which is fine.

My point is more... do I personally think in this system he can hit the wide open (all that PJ shoots) three with enough consistency to force defenses to respect him?? Yes. I also think if MDA was willing to do something other than spread the floor completely every half court possession, they're offense would have more wrinkles, which 3 straight playoffs has shown is absolutely required.

Remember those Harden-Josh Smith-Dwight triangle PnRs for example.

Sabonis is highly skilled.

Does he give you a higher ORtg on the regular season? Meh... yes, no, it won't be meaningful. But I've seen enough to know it's not just "math" and sooner or later the style will hit on all cylinders for 4 straight playoff series... cause that hasn't worked for MDA teams ever. They need offensive variability. Oh, and he rebounds really well.... 18.4/100 to Tuckers 8.4/100...

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Sabonis shoots threes so sparingly we can consider him a floor spacer at all. I doubt it's team system because Turner takes almost three shots from deep per game and isn't considered a shooter himself. Sabonis must be restricting himself.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

/thread

malakas, BaselineFade and Vivi like this.
  17. JayZ750

Yes, I get that.

My point - theory?? - is that I think you're right, he isn't eager to shoot threes. And I think that's fine and right of him. But I also think that he can shoot them if required.

The Pacers were 18th in ORtg and 29th in 3-point attempts last year. It's not an offense geared to get threes, and then on top of that Domantas was fine with that and wasn't eager to shoot them.

I just nonetheless think he can. See what I'm saying?? I'm not saying it's like trading for Harden and feeling really great that he could be a #1, but to me it's somewhat like that in the sense that it'd be a risk of a move - if he just can't shoot threes he doesn't fit your system for **** - but I think he can, and if MDA mixed up the offense would provide much needed variability.

18. malakas

malakas Member

at least this one got paid normal money.

19. JayZ750

Well.. there you go.

Everyone that's been extended recently, when do they become trade-able out of curiosity.

malakas likes this.
  20. omgTHEpotential

Both Sabonis/Hield signed reasonable contracts, based on their worth. And if they don't work out, both contracts are very tradeable. Jaylen Brown on the other hand... Seems like it could backfire heavily.

Vivi and malakas like this.