1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nov 5: Texas Constitutional Amendments Ballot

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by JuanValdez, Oct 21, 2019.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

We'll be having a special election on Nov 5 (but early voting starts today) on 10 ballot measures in Texas. Now I think having referenda on what the law should be in Texas is a terrible way to govern. They write them in a way that most people walking into a ballot booth without having already educated themselves (which is most voters) will be led to vote how the framers wanted. But the future of ballot measures isn't on the ballot. So, I like to try to educate myself on the ballot measures.

Here's a summary of the 10 proposals: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/ne...guide-to-10-Texas-constitutional-14505093.php

cml750, Deckard, RocketWalta and 2 others like this.
  2. JuanValdez

I have more reading to do, but here's my feelings at first blush.

Prop 1: Yes. Probably useful for small-town Texas, which will likely continue to de-populate.

Prop 2: Yes. Water systems have the same sort of problem as municipal judges -- shrinking populations. And, it's not necessarily wise to keep sinking capex into sewer and water into small and shrinking communities. However, we can't really force the TWDB to make good financial decisions by taking away tools at the ballot box. Probably, we should give them the bonds they think they need and hope some other lever is helping them make good decisions.

Prop 3: Leaning Yes. Regarding tax relief in disaster. On the one hand, homeowners can really use the relief after a disaster. On the other, local government can really use the revenue after disaster. But, it sounds like the Prop is written to give the government flexibility on how to use it, and I doubt the needs of local government will really be ignored (unless they're democrats maybe). So I'm inclined to favor, but I need to read more on this one.

Prop 4: Hells NO. This one is the headliner, forbidding income tax. I think conservatives are anticipating Texas' flip to liberals in the future and want to preserve their regressive tax policy legacy as long into the future as they can. An income tax could do us good.

Prop 5: Undecided. Preserving a fund for Texas Parks. Well, they are terribly underfunded. But why do we need a Constitutional amendment to stop our own representatives from plundering the Parks' fund? I'm undecided. I don't like taking away flexibility from lawmakers when they might need it, but on the other hand I know they're a bunch of children who probably shouldn't be trusted with making long-term decisions. I also don't know what "while not increasing the rate of the state sales and use taxes" means here. If it means we can't raise the rate when we want, then I'm against it.

Prop 6: Undecided. Texan cancer research money will be spent disproportionately in Houston, so I think my self-interest says this is to my advantage. But if the whole state pays for a benefit taken mostly in Houston and Dallas and a couple of college towns, I don't know if that's fair. Up in the air.

Prop 7: Leaning No. Whether it's $300 million or $600 million, that's basically a rounding error in how much we spend in public education in Texas. So who cares?

Prop 8: Leaning No. This looks like a tricksy one. Spend $793 million on flood mitigation projects or $793 million on disaster relief. Where did the number 793 come from? Is this a scam to get Texans to pay more for flood control, or is it a scam to let the government use someone else's money to pay for flood control they're going to do anyway? Leaning against, but should read more.

Prop 9: No. The Gold Standard people seem to have gotten their talons into the Legislature. The explanation in the Chron here doesn't really make sense and I'm guessing the journalist doesn't understand it. But, it doesn't matter. Why shouldn't we tax earnings on precious metals -- especially when I don't own any?

Prop 10: Yes. Retired police dogs. How can anyone say no?

body slam likes this.
  3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

years ago David Broder wrote a fine book about the risks inherent to ballot referenda

Nook and B-Bob like this.
  4. JuanValdez

I'm sad that 10 decisions that many of the posters in this forum will have to make in the next couple of weeks, decisions that will have real-life personal consequences for us as Texans draws no commentary, meanwhile a crappy thread about how one terrible media organization has a gotcha on another terrible media organization is at 3 pages.

RayRay10, body slam, mdrowe00 and 2 others like this.
  5. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

that crappy thread is a mistake-in-chief thread, so of course it's going to be more popular. it's what the people want

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It is sad but it tells us the state of politics at the moment, nobody really cares about issues that actually affect them just the ones that they can be outraged about.

I am as guilty of this as anyone and I will read about these myself and get back.

body slam and mdrowe00 like this.
  7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t live in Texas anymore so have no vote but these propositions are an example of a problem plaguing many state Governments. A constitution should be a foundational and organizational document not a legislative document. Many of the issues in these propositions should be handled through the legislature. Many states have started using Constitutional amendments because it takes their legislatures off the hook for controversial or unpopular legislation. As noted by the OP too many citizens aren’t informed of the details or background regarding why this legislation is being put forward to them. In our republican system it is the job of elected legislators to legislate and then subject themselves to the approval of the voters. Not pass the buck to the voters.

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

It's extra sad, b/c as I try to tell my hair-on-fire liberal friends in SF, act LOCALLY. Your efforts could really accomplish something. Railing at national level click bait will accomplish a lot less. But easy for me to say, right? Here I am, typing on the regular about federal level issues. So much sexier, I guess. Or the stakes feel much higher.

I guess, posting about national politics is like playing the lottery -- maybe a one in 100 million chance your voice makes any difference, but it is so easy to play the lottery! Versus acting locally is like putting your 1$ in savings and watching it accrue 0.7% interest or whatever. LOL

RayRay10 and mdrowe00 like this.
  9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

These are some fairly mundane propositions

10. Buck Turgidson

Here's my in-depth analysis: Anyone who votes "no" on prop5 can kiss my ass.

11. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

TheFreak, Nook and Rashmon like this.
  12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I looked through them and have to do it again soon. I think I will be early voting
    I want to make sure I know what the f*ck I am voting for

Rocket River

13. dmoneybangbang

Gotta know your audience... :)

mdrowe00 likes this.
  14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I, too, do not like direct democracy. However, Broder is talking about ballot initiatives, or other such ballot measures not referred by legislators. There are different degrees of direct democracy, and the Texas constitutional amendments are far from what Broder is warning us about.

This thread is about "Legislatively Referred Constitutional Amendments"

For an amendment to be made to the Texas Constitution, it first must pass both the Texas Senate and Texas House by 2/3rds majority. Only then does it go to vote by Texans.

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/CN/htm/CN.17.htm

JuanValdez and Os Trigonum like this.
  15. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

good point, not being from Texas I wasn't clear on the process for getting these on the ballot.

16. Buck Turgidson

Here's what the Austin Statesman's editorial board thinks:

Prop 1: YES to allow municipal judges to serve multiple cities at once if voters elect them to the bench. This would help smaller towns that don’t need their own full-time judge.

Prop 2: YES to allow the Texas Water Development Board to issue up to $200 million in general obligation bonds to help local governments build and improve water supply and sewer services.

Prop 3: YES to allow residents in a disaster area to be exempt from some or all property taxes for that year.

Prop 4: NO to a measure that would make it even harder to impose a state income tax, something that is already very unlikely. This measure’s flawed wording could allow courts to kill the business franchise tax, which raises billions of dollars for public education and other programs.

Prop 5: YES to guarantee all sales tax revenue from sporting goods purchases would go toward maintaining state parks and historic sites — something lawmakers have long promised and largely failed to do.

Prop 6: YES to allow the Legislature to issue another $3 billion in general obligation bonds to fund cancer research and prevention, an effort that is saving lives and generating economic activity for Texas.

Prop 7: YES to allow two agencies — the State Land Board and the State Board of Education — to put more of their investment income into a fund that supports school districts.

Prop 8: YES to create a $793 million fund to finance local flood drainage, mitigation and control projects.

Prop 9: YES to ensure precious metals stored at a bullion depository will be exempt from property taxes. No jurisdiction charges such taxes now; keeping it that way will prevent these investments from going out of state.

Prop 10: YES to let law enforcement officers adopt their police dog when the animal retires, cutting through red tape that currently requires a third party to facilitate such adoptions.

Rashmon, Nook and mdrowe00 like this.
  17. heypartner

This is my go-to site for monitoring the evolution of direct democracy. (Of course, the site serves a much wider purpose, but I haven't found a more concise listing of how states do ballot measures, and what they are.)

https://ballotpedia.org/2019_ballot_measures

Nook and Os Trigonum like this.
  18. heypartner

Here's Ballotpedia rather enormous amount of info on the Texas Props ... includes how the legislature voted on them (requiring 2/3rds majority), supporting organizations and media endorsements, and even comprehensive budget analysis/etc for those who really want to research

https://ballotpedia.org/Texas_2019_ballot_measures

click on proposition title to get the full details.

19. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

hard to believe that something like this requires an amendment to the state constitution

20. heypartner

TheFreak and Os Trigonum like this.