1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Moving to Germany

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Roc Paint, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've got some delightful old German books from the 1930's - real classic German literature done up in in Fraktur. I haven't actually read them, but I'm sure the stories are very benign. You can pack them in your luggage when you go. The customs people will love you.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I was born in Germany....

...but came back to the States when I was 2.

I've always wanted to go back and visit.

My parents lived for five years at Spangdahlem. They loved it. I'm sure it has changed since though.

Yung-T and daywalker02 like this.
  3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Congrats! I have zero useful advice but this sounds exciting. Someday I'd like to do something similar and totally change my familiar setting.

4. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

Congrats bro! I've heard the Christmas season and celebration are the best in Germany. It's like right out of the scenes from classic Christmas movies. I don't celebrate the holiday, but love the feeling of it and would love to visit Germany during that season.

AroundTheWorld and Yung-T like this.
  5. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I just returned from Germany yesterday, as I go there for work 4 to 5 times per year. Typically in the Ruhr area (Duesseldorf, Essen, Bochum, etc) where you will be moving to. I cannot say that the Ruhr area is my favorite part of the country. It's very industrial and there's frankly nothing "special" about it. But at least there is good flight availability out of DUS airport and not too far from some more interesting places.

A few cultural thoughts, as an American who has spent a large amount of time over the years in Germany:
    1. Be quieter than you're used to. They don't like noisy people, or loud people in general.
    2. Learn the laws. Recycling and noise laws on the weekends are some of the more curious ones for a foreigner.
    3. There's a hell of a lot less tipping, which is easy, and prices almost always include tax. That's easier for you.
    4. Driving: the Ruhr area traffic can really be awful, and be careful - there are speed cameras that will mail you a ticket, along with a nice picture of yourself behind the wheel driving.
    5. People: it takes a while for people to open up to you. It's a cultural difference vs the US. Try to find a few core friends and get to know them well.
    6. You'll struggle to learn the language, as people speak English too well and will just respond back to you in English because it's more efficient. You'll need German in a few settings, such as some taxis, some restaurants, some government institutions, your speeding tickets (!), etc. So keep learning it.
    7. Back to recycling and environmental friendliness - this has become a religion and some people will get upset with you if you don't do everything correctly.
    8. Learn to do your job very well - this is something I admire about Germans - there's not the "cool factor" that some Americans have for "winging it" and trying not to always do your best. This is a concept that's hard to explain. One part of it is called Sitzfleisch (power to persevere) where a good employee can power through their job even if they don't like it.

just a few tips from me...good luck - there's some great people in Germany and I always enjoy my time there.

AroundTheWorld, Yung-T and malakas like this.
  6. malakas

malakas Member

Speaking of religion, I doubt this affects the OP but you never know.. if he's some kind of american evangelical christian..

Don't talk about religion to people unless they are really your friends.
    No preaching or advertising faith and churches etc
    People will get offended and actively avoid you or even report you to their boss if they are your coworkers.
    Religion and faith are considered deeply personal matters.

You can ask from a touristic point of view for example: in germany what is the faith practiced and how? but more than that it is considered an invasion of privacy and annoyance.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Germany must be one of the deepest Catholic strongholds.

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Only in the Southern half. North is protestant, East is mostly atheist.

Yung-T and daywalker02 like this.
  9. Raz

Raz Member

Little late to the party, but yeah... I live in Essen, not exactly around the corner, but it's the same area. Since I'm only here for a couple of years I know my home region Stuttgart a lot better, pretty sure @heypartner could identify me as someone who grew up there.

I can confirm anything noted here. Some random additions:

* Learn and use the metric system, otherwise you won't get far.
    * If you're handling the bureaucracy, always keep an eye on deadlines and closing dates, they're usually strict.
    * Get a German bank account asap, as a non-native speaker: make sure a branch is near your location, don't rely solely on online-banking.
    * Regarding supermarkets: Lidl, Aldi and Netto are the cheap brands, I personally prefer to pay a little more and go to Edeka and Rewe. You'll find them anywhere.
    * You don't necessarily need a credit card or use your debit card, cash is accepted pretty much everywhere, unless you rent a car or so.
    * On Sundays and bank holidays, shops are generally closed (except gas stations).

Guess some more stuff will come to my mind later. Feel free to ask if there's anything unclear.

daywalker02 and Yung-T like this.
  10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

There are strip clubs in Germany?

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Yes...and actually, prostitution is mostly legal.

12. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Absolutely loving all the information about Germany, but I must say the marketing director from there showed up in Houston three days ago and has told me that they need me here in Houston. I will be the face of OMAC Houston within six months

Life just keeps getting better and better

Yung-T and malakas like this.
  13. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

This freaking cat :rolleyes:

14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Like with most places in Europe and even NY or others there are some cultural differences. Bathrooms and living spaces are generally smaller. That doesn't mean they aren't nice. It's just a different norm regarding space. Enjoy!