1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Impeach, or not? A poll on the current status.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DaDakota, Sep 25, 2019.

?

Would you vote to start impeachment proceedings based upon current information?

Poll closed Oct 2, 2019.
  1. Yes

75 vote(s)
    77.3%
  2. No

22 vote(s)
    22.7%
  1. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Well, Boy Blunder, there is an inquiry taking place as we speak which you have already alluded to in your pic of the hour.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yep, let them investigate and strengthen or weaken the case, this is what happens in an investigation - they get as many details as possible......no need to put the cart before the horse.

The Republicans are pushing because the don't want that, they want this over ASAP......**** em - this is their fault for electing this turd anyway and sticking by someone they know is corrupt.

So **** em!

Take your time, be thorough, and get to the facts - let them speak for themselves.....and then Impeach.

DD

3. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

- Because the constitution grants extremely broad power to the House to pursue impeachment, with almost no specifics on how to proceed. They could hold a formal vote at the beginning, they could hold none. They could vote to impeach tomorrow if they wanted. Back in the 1800s the House impeached Jackson without even presenting articles demonstrating what for.

- With the above in mind, the democratic House leadership sees it to their advantage to continue taking evidence and testimony and a nice steady drip of daily bombshells hit the media, keeping this investigation in the headlines while every republican in the republic is asked over and over again if they agree it's okay for the president of the United States to ask a foreign power to investigate a political rival, and they visibly squirm with non-answers. Why give them a chance to change the topic? Let them squirm and hedge.

Rashmon and mdrowe00 like this.
  4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Pelosi wants this phase of the hearing to wrap up by EOY.

2020 Will be interesting time for this telenovela.

Almost makes you think he isn't still wrecking **** up with his "deals"

5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Slim Majority Now Supports Trump's Impeachment and Removal From Office
    https://news.gallup.com/poll/267491/congress-approval-support-impeaching-trump.aspx

6. Invisible Fan

Something tells me that need 67% polling majority before the denialists scream bloody coup and constitutional overturn in 2020 of all time and places...

Republican talking points need to either sound nasty (#shiftySchiff #neenerneer) or terrifying because the intended targets don't even really know what the words mean but their gut tells'em itsa bad.

7. NewRoxFan

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Personally I’m for impeachment sooner rather than later but this strategy seems to be working in bringing the country along. On top of the at Trump keeps on doing all he can to alienate more and more people.

9. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

Just checking in, If Trump already got impeached. Nope, not yet. My insider was wrong last week. Just more Fake news.

10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I hope you don't run your household finances this way.

"Nope, there's still a non-zero amount of money in my account! No worries here."

FranchiseBlade and MiddleMan like this.
  11. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

I thought you promised me that you were not going to reply to my comments? Change of heart?

12. NewRoxFan

Gee, you take pride when people choose to ignore you?

Invisible Fan and FranchiseBlade like this.
  13. NewRoxFan

14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Glittering Eye on Trump's poll numbers:

http://theglitteringeye.com/wheres-the-approval-collapse/

Where’s the Approval Collapse?
    Dave Schuler October 15, 2019

At Bloomberg Jonathan Bernstein muses over why President Trump’s approval rating hasn’t collapsed following all of the bad news and the House Democrats’ “impeachment inquiry”:

He comes up with three prospective explanations:

• The news sources for those who support Trump and those who oppose him are completely distinct. Trump supporters haven’t been hearing bad news.
    • Trump supporters now equate opposition with impeachment and they don’t support impeachment.
    • The numbers are just locked in. Not many people are changing their opinions.
    Add to that two more. First, as I’ve suggested, Trump supporters, while fully cognizant of the bad news, just don’t see what all of the hooplah is about. It’s just Trump being Trump. Another possibility is that the Democratic presidential candidates are so discouraging that to a lot of people Trump still looks good by comparison.

Regardless of the reason, so far this situation is very different from that which confronted Nixon. Nixon’s very high support practically collapsed overnight. Trump’s comparatively low support is remaining pretty much where it has been for the last six months to a year.

It’s more like the situation that Bill Clinton saw—the domestic economic situation was good enough that people weren’t discouraged by the president’s misbehavior and they didn’t think it rose to the level of impeachment. Maybe something will change. Or maybe it will unfold much as the Clinton impeachment did.

15. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

It is more like Trump supporters do not care what is legal and will support him no matter what, all you have to do is look at his supporters on this bbs.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

the argument has been that he won’t lose support among republican and there is nothing that would cause him to be removed from office

if you find a valid point or data set that is against that argument, you got something

when you make an argument out of a non argument - it’s just a bunch of straws

17. Invisible Fan

I don't think this situation has precedence given how digital media now shapes opinion as strongly as Old Media. There's a 538 article that's been posted before of "Nixon's high support".

I suspect it's the 2nd point, that polling has become the de facto proxy for a Recall (or as Cons put it, a Coup). Doesn't matter if this "Recall" is the path stated in the Constitution. They think approval polls dominate Senator decision making, so why play their cards early until the other side reveals the "real" smoking gun behind their closed doors? The way politics is now set up, I'm sure either party's constituents would follow this game theory.

As for the bloomberg op/ed
    A second possibility involves something I speculated about months ago. There’s a “priming” effect in public opinion in which the answer to a question can change depending on the context in which it’s asked. A classic example was during George H.W. Bush’s presidency. To oversimplify a bit, most people thought Bush was good at foreign policy and bad at domestic policy. So when foreign policy was in the news, people interpreted the question “Do you approve of how Bush is handling the presidency?” as a question about foreign policy, and said yes; when domestic stories were in the news, the opposite happened. People weren’t changing their minds about Bush. They were just evaluating him on different criteria.

A similar thing could be happening here. Once impeachment is the story, Republicans may think of the approval question as equivalent to whether they support removing Trump from office, and therefore say they approve of him; if the story centered more on the scandal, they might be more likely to disapprove of Trump’s overall performance. If that’s what’s happening, it’s possible that the Syria story, taking place outside of the impeachment context, might damage Trump where the Ukraine scandal hasn’t.​

He's overthinking here. The economy is going great. All the belly aching Dems have is for when the music stops. When the tax cut sunsets and when responsible people have to think of ways to either pay for it or explain why it goes away.

Everyone knew Bonds, Sosa, and the rest of MLB were juiced. Didn't stop the fans from filling into stadiums. It only hurt years later and only when the "bad news" came out. Is it that surprising or depressing? Results matter here...if you aint cheatin, you aint tryin.

Since I usually waste time thinking about things two steps down the line. I'm not sure if there will ever be a time when the "bad news" of the past comes out. It's mostly the next person eating **** sandwiches and eyerolls when that person blames the President before.

But hey, if we're still digging up Her Damn Emails, this might be the precedent that starts unraveling peaceful power transfers.

FranchiseBlade and mdrowe00 like this.
  18. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

19. Agent94

Agent94 Member

Here is a shower thought. Pelosi's mantra was beat him at the ballot box. I think they have waited so long because they don't want this whole thing resolved before the election. Who is more beatable than Trump right now? I doubt they will get the votes in the Senate to remove Trump anyway. Trump will call it a witch hunt and claim he has been vindicated like the Muller report. Its better to just drag this out and keep bringing up dirt during the election cycle.

20. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

A better question might be if the House will be able to muster the votes to impeach Trump. And if so, for what?

You would be wise not to hold your breath waiting for either of those questions to be answered.