1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you're in charge, do you let Gerrit Cole walk or pay him?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Marteen, Sep 18, 2019.

?

Do you let Gerrit Cole walk or pay him?

Poll closed Sep 30, 2019.
  1. Pay the man.

91.9%
  2. Let him walk.

8.1%
  1. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

Randy Johnson still applies...

2. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I think that number was more for 1st Championship after some drought.

When it starts getting to a few titles in a short time span, the return for each subsequent title run is less.

3. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

You are probably right but regardless, it's a huge boon for franchise valuation and ownership that lasts for multiple years. It is the only way to sustain a $200MM+ payroll in a market not named New York or Los Angeles.

The Astros could keep Cole and Springer if they are willing to go deep into the tax for '20 and '21. It's a tough situation but Crane has proved to step up time and time again so I won't count them out at all.

4. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

This right here. I think the biggest thing from winning a title or a few is a bump in fan loyalty. While every such run does bring with it some bandwagon fans, a percentage of those fans do eventually evolve into true fans who end up following and spending more on the team over a more long term time span. At least that is probably the hypothesis. Would be interesting to see if that pans out in the numbers.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

The diminishing returns on a net of 1 billion, pretty good. We have plenty of room to grow still given we aren't even valued in the top 10. The Astros left the million dollar poker table 2 years ago, where operating costs are high stakes, and now they sit at the billion dollar poker table eye to eye with the big boys and we're winning. Can't go back to the little table for the scraps. This is the table we need to play at. It's the right time as there is no bubble in sight.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

The residual payoff for winning the World Series lasts a LONG time. And I think if the team gets into dynasty territory (multiple WS and especially 3+), the payoff actually increases. Organizations are defined by those stretches.

7. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

8. Major

Major Member

Does it, though? It's hard to say with Cubs/Red Sox/Cardinals/etc since they have extremely loyal fanbases historically, but look at the Royals:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/KCR/attend.shtml

Making the World Series bumped them from 11th to 6th in attendance. 3 years later, they suck and their attendance is actually lower than it was before they won anything. This year, they had their lowest attendance since 2006.

The Giants sustained longer after winning 3 titles in 5 years, but 5 years after their last title, their attendance dropped to the lowest since 1999: https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/SFG/attend.shtml

Phillies won in 2008 and saw an attendance bump and had their best team in 2011. By 2015, the bump was completely gone. https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/PHI/attend.shtml

Fans are a lot more what-have-you-done-for-me-lately than people like to believe. If the Astros suck in 3 or 4 years, there won't be much residual payoff. I think the best long-term value comes if you happen to be renegotiating your TV deal right at the peak of your success.

9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I’d argue attendance isn’t a good measuring stick when trying to get to revenue, which is a fairly directly available number (that I am too lazy to go look up). The World Series victory payoff shows up when negotiating the rights deal.

10. awc713

awc713 Member

They’re best friends! Cmon!

the shark likes this.
  11. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

I think a friendship relation in the team may play a role in his decision, see what did Kevin Durant do for joining the Nets.

12. vonbock

vonbock Member

after today, are you sure he is worth it?

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

14. astros99

astros99 Contributing Member

Stupid post

15. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Totally right. One shitty inning erased 5 months of perfection. Good point.

ipaman likes this.
  16. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

he can get new friends with the many many many millions more he’ll get with the Angels. He gone. Just enjoy his last start as an Astro next week.

17. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Capitalize from your confidence by betting the outcome.

Bet big to match your confidence level.

18. astros123

astros123 Member

If we dont Win the World Series or get Swept, forget Cole id be more concerned with Crane maybe wanting to slash payroll next season a bit.

This is going be a tough pill to swallow.

19. rockets13champs

He’s going to Yankees. Next question.

KelvinCato13 likes this.
  20. vonbock

vonbock Member

I think you're right. I think Astros will become the 2018 Red Sox. Now Red Sox are looking to shed salary and rebuild with younger players. I think that is way Astros should go to. We can pay huge amount of money to players but if they go cold, it wasn't worth it.