1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros land Zack Greinke

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by J.R., Jul 31, 2019.

1. SuraGotMadHops

It's been ridiculous the hate he has been receiving, even from local media like Brian T. Smith. In the post-season he has had one bad start, and one solid start. That's it. I really think the media slams him on purpose because he is short in interviews and pressers, and this is their way to retaliate, I really do.

2. Nook

Nook Member

This.

No I don't have the same level of confidence in Greinke that I do with Verlander and Cole.

However Cole is the best baseball player in the world and Verlander is one of the 3 best pitchers in the world.

Greinke was 8-1 with a 3.02 era and a WHIP of 1 in a third of a season of work with the Astros.

The game against the Rays he hadn't pitched in 12 days. He bounced back against the Yankees and had gone 5 innings of 1 run ball against the Yankees and in the 6th gave up a homer to the best offense in baseball.

Also all this talk about him sucking in the playoffs is over kill.

He was bad in 2017 and started this post season poorly, but he was awesome in 2013, 2014 and 2015.

3. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Hes been fine... I wish he was a a tad more dominant but the Yankees lineup is tough!

lw17 and dmoneybangbang like this.
  4. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

5. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Zach was great tonight.

We’re spoiled with verlander and cole but have Zach pitch behind them is a luxury it could be much worse.

We got almost 6 inning of 1 run ball and he was in some tough situations and grinded his way to outs inning after inning.

I had a feeling Zach would have a good game and he did the whole team played well tonight.

Not everyone can throw 98mph like cole and verlander Zach is older and is just getting by on being smart and understanding the game. It’s why he’s still one of the top 10 pitchers in the league still.

6. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

jiggyfly, MadMax and lw17 like this.
  7. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member

**** all Yankee fans. All of them. Even the ones trying to cover their ass piece saying "Not all Yankees fans are like this".

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Greinke out-pitched Tanaka.

Woot, woot.

rpr52121 and lw17 like this.
  9. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

He did. He was not giving an inch which caused the early walks and just barely missed (some were strikes). Yankees were not very aggressive at all which was probably the right move but once Greinke got settled into the strike zone he was unstoppable. How many of you freaked when they took Greinke out and put in Pressly? Good to see Pressly pitching pretty well last night and hopefully gaining some confidence. He has a good mentality for a reliever. Sounds like his knee is still bothering him but he is gutting it out and finding a way to just get past it and perform.

Was also nervous after James gave up the 2 run home and then Hinch left him in there! I don't think any manager would have left James in there but Hinch has confidence in all of his pitchers no matter what us fans think. Great job by James to maintain his composure in a hostile environment and get the outs needed to get out of that inning. Great job by Harris, Smith, and Osuna as well.

ima_drummer2k and Jake Tower like this.
  10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The Yankees hitters have done a really good job of running up the pitch count on our starters.

11. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Aye. I thought Greinke was pitching great and was stunned that he was pulled in the 5th. That move was questionable since it caused us to have to use our best bullpen arms. With that said, Hinch was managing last night as though it was a Game 7 - which I can't fault. Winning last night was as close to a death blow as you can get for the Yankees, since we have Verlander and Cole waiting.

ima_drummer2k and Jake Tower like this.
  12. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Greinke's placement on his pitches is amazing. He's got an unbelievable ability to hit spots and get pitches to move exactly how he wants... and does it all with an overall pitch sequence plan to confuse the hitter. He is incredibly advanced on the mound. Probably as close to Greg Maddux as you'll find today.

These focus and muscle memory skills are why he is a world class golfer as well, and could be a PGA tour player.

Rock Block and Jake Tower like this.
  13. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Makes me root for Zack even more, no one deserves that!

Rock Block and conquistador#11 like this.
  14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Greinke has grown to be Maddux-esque

Rock Block likes this.
  15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Yeah the only reason we even criticize Greinke at all is because we compare him to 2 other pitchers on our team who are having cy young years.

YaoMing#1, Rock Block and vator like this.
  16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

We have a couple of fireballers and a surgeon.

Rock Block likes this.
  17. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

I would hope that most fans dont think like this but unfortunately its this attitude and ignorance that continues to plague our society in regards to understanding and properly treating mental illness.

desihooper likes this.
  18. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

He's pretty much a scratch from what I've heard. Just an amazing athelete

19. htownbball

htownbball Member

That ump was straight trash last night. Greinke gets through 5 if the ump gets the calls right.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  20. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Point of order here- there is a world of difference between scratch golfer and PGA Tour golfer. I was the former. I’ve played with the latter. It’s like they are playing a different game altogether.

jiggyfly likes this.