1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fort Worth cop shoots Black Woman at her home thru a window.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Mr.Scarface, Oct 13, 2019.

1. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, I do the same thing when I get stopped, easier to not escalate it. And def understand why people would (but I think it's a bad idea to)- better to not escalate the situation and make it more tense. Obviously if you get stopped for something more serious that can change things, but a simple taillight/speeding ticket/stop sign etc etc - no use in getting into it with the cop.

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Anytime I get pulled over, I pull into a lighted parking lot.

I've seen people who park into the median strip of an onramp. Maybe 20 years ago, I'd agree with making it harder for them in order to stick it to the "greedy bastards". Entitled or privileged thinking notwithstanding, boy has times changed.

I read a while back that when you do get pulled over, you turn on your blinker, then turn on your car lights to illuminate the inside. I've driven 5 minutes with that blinker on to find a safe and lighted exit, like a stripmall, burger joint, or taco stand.

Once you stop your engine, put the keys on the dashboard and your hands visibly on the wheel with your license in hand,

This de-escalates a lot of things for the officer. You aren't a flight risk and making your hands visible shows them you're not going to reach for a gun.

When you need to get something, like registration in the glove compartment, tell them you're getting your registration and don't jerk or move there.

Some people might bristle at all this out of principle, but it works both ways. There are stories of police getting shot on a routine stopover, so why pretend you're above all that and your rights are the one at stake?

Anyways, even doing all this doesn't mean your ass will never become the victim of police brutality (Tyisha Miller...), but I believe it's still a better way to live by giving other people the benefit of the doubt. Sometimes anticipating a negative outcome is a self fulfilling prophecy.

CCity Zero and Sajan like this.
  3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Jumping through hoops in a country where you're considered innocent until proven guilty.

4. likestohypeguy

Yeah they do have to be ready for situations to go south, in a second...

I take a similar approach.

#64 likestohypeguy, Oct 18, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Trained Professionals are allowed to be panicking little b****es
    but
    we are unforgiving of a civilians being scared or the slightest bit put off. . .. . civilians have to be the ultimate in cool calm rational and collected.
    They are expected to handle these situation in the highest level of decorum
    Meanwhile. . . cops are allowed to kill on the slighted provocation or something as simple as THEY DID NOT RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH AND MOVED TOO SLOW!!

Rocket River