1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Profiteering G-7 Summit To Be Held At Trump's Miami Golf Resort

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Oct 17, 2019.

?

Do You support Trump funnelling events to his properties to make money?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  2. No

41 vote(s)
    97.6%
  1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

G-7 Summit To Be Held At Trump's Miami Golf Resort

Next year's G-7 gathering of the leaders of the world's biggest economies will take place at President Trump's Doral golf resort outside of Miami, acting White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney announced on Thursday.

"We used a lot of the same criteria used by past administrations," Mulvaney said. He later said it was almost as though the resort had been purpose-built for the event.

The Trump administration's decision to host the high-profile international summit at Doral is sure to stoke the ongoing controversy about Trump's decision to maintain his ownership of his businesses while also serving as president.

"We know the environment we live in," Mulvaney said, adding that Trump was willing to take the scrutiny.

Mulvaney noted that Doral was Trump's suggestion that staff followed up on. He said "no" when asked if it was better to avoid the appearance of self-dealing, pointing repeatedly to potential cost savings. He said he would not share documents on the decision-making process.

Trump made his interest in holding the summit at Doral known in August, while attending this year's gathering in Biarritz, France.

[​IMG]
    POLITICS
    Trump Financial Disclosures Show Drop In Mar-A-Lago Income

According to Trump's financial disclosures, he earned $76 million in income from Doral in 2018. But in a sign of how the Trump brand has struggled since he became a political figure, that's a substantial drop from the nearly $116 million the resort earned for him in 2016.

Reaction from Democrats was swift and negative.

"The Administration's announcement that President Trump's Doral Miami resort will be the site of the next G7 summit is among the most brazen examples yet of the President's corruption," said House Judiciary Committee chair Jerrold Nadler, D-N.Y., in a statement. "He is exploiting his office and making official U.S. government decisions for his personal financial gain."

While Trump stepped away from running the Trump Organization before becoming president, he never gave up his stake in his various businesses, which include golf clubs, hotels and office buildings around the world.

[​IMG]
    POLITICS
    'Allowable But Not Advisable': Air Force And Congress Review Stays At Trump Resort

There are several lawsuits moving through the courts that allege Trump is violating the Emoluments Clause of the Constitution, which bans the president from accepting gifts and payments from foreign and state governments.

Noah Bookbinder, the executive director of Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington which is one of the groups suing Trump over the emoluments issue described the announcement as "unbelievable."

"Given the potential consequences the president is facing for abusing the presidency for his own gain, we would have thought he would steer clear of blatant corruption at least temporarily; instead he has doubled down on it," said Bookbinder.

Since Trump secured the GOP nomination in 2016, his properties have become favored places for Republicans to hold fundraising and political events. Federal Election Commission records indicate that Trump's reelection campaign, GOP committees and candidates have spent millions at Trump properties in 2019.

Mulvaney said on Thursday that he himself was initially skeptical of the idea but said the event would be "dramatically cheaper" if held at Doral. He said Trump had "made it very clear" that he would not profit from having the resort host the summit.

Trump's international properties also have come under scrutiny. This summer, the U.S. Air Force acknowledged that hundreds of service members had stayed at Trump's Scottish resort during refueling stops there. Vice President Pence also came under scrutiny for staying at Trump's Irish golf resort during an official visit to Ireland.

===============

Do you support this or Not?

Rocket River

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Completely absurd.

Nook, weakfromtoday and justtxyank like this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Clear violation of the Emoluments clause.

DD

Ubiquitin likes this.
  4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Definitely just a coincidence.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Self-dealing.

6. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

He said he won't make any money off of it, so it's all good.

Ubiquitin and dmoneybangbang like this.
  7. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

He is losing billions to be president, so it’s only fair he gets some back. Get over it.

Ubiquitin, IBTL, mdrowe00 and 3 others like this.
  8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

All I care about is real jerbs, guns and God.

LIBERAL TEARS

Ubiquitin likes this.
  9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Any for-profit corporation that hires Mick Mulvaney in any capacity should immediately be sued by its shareholders.

Ubiquitin, mdrowe00 and B-Bob like this.
  10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

If he doesn't profit i dont care. I wouldn't care anyway but directing this event to his property is the issue obviously as opposed to dignitaries staying at his hotels when they have a choice

I just don't care if dude makes some money from his presidency. I understand why people care, i dont.

Im not makimg that money and i dont care if Paris Hilton isnt either. They are all rich, they own hotels, they will be alright losing business to Trump

The emoluments clause was a lot more relevant when the Constitution was written when most of the founders owned businesses

#10 pgabriel, Oct 17, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

On the serious, I bet the rate of his losses has slowed a bit and his creditors have to back off for 4-8 years.

Of course, in the long run, it's going to hurt his only remaining lender because if people think the scrutiny is harsh now, just wait until the dude can actually be brought up on charges and financial liability for all this crap. Deutsche Bank better be destroying documents and servers on the daily.

mdrowe00 and RayRay10 like this.
  12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I'm sure they're way ahead of you, my brotha from anotha motha.

B-Bob likes this.
  13. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's doing everything he can to solve the conflict of interest by getting impeached well before it becomes an issue.

AleksandarN and Ubiquitin like this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

B-Bob likes this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

Rashmon and DaDakota like this.
  16. dmoneybangbang

So you are a tool?

Blatz likes this.
  17. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Would you be ok if government contracting officers "make some money" from their positions? Would you be ok if contracting officers award contracts to their own family's business if they can show they don't profit from the contract (there may be some totally unrelated "favors" received from subcontractors though). Keep in mind the gov awards $460b+ in contracts a year, but you're not making that money so I guess it's ok?

Nook, RayRay10 and Pbev99 like this.
  18. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

trump supporters are now resorting to suggesting that the U.S. Constitution isn't relevant anymore in their defending trump's crimes. I wonder what other parts of the Constitution that aren't relevant?

19. IBTL

IBTL Member

get over it

pgabriel likes this.
  20. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

:D...I've heard that there are more than a few people who want to take another look at the 13th, 14th and 15th amendments...

...I mean, those ARE amendments...they weren't part of the "original intent" of the Constitution...;)

...as our glorious president has shown us:
    ...what good is a law if you can't break it when you need to?:D:p

Nook, Invisible Fan and Rocket River like this.