1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Jump] Adam Silver: China requested Daryl Morey's firing; We said "No Chance"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Oct 17, 2019.

1. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I can’t fault him for that, I really can’t. I mean, it’s a business and losing millions for any reason I’m sure is difficult.

I still don’t care for him, and I’m really not sold on how he will be as an owner, but that’s a different topic I guess.

snowconeman22, gotsis and Nook like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

I am going to be curious to see how this experience has changed Daryl and his approach to social media and his standing with his employer.

I have to think that we will not see Daryl Morey on social media for awhile, if ever again with the Rockets.

In all of this, what is over looked is that the Rockets organization has had warnings in the past. Morey was very lucky some of his other tweets did not draw more negative attention, the Tad Brown tweets and the public comments of the owner....... HIRE A PR FIRM TO MONITOR SOCIAL MEDIA BEFORE IT IS PUBLISHED.

3. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Good for the NBA.

I don't care if players and teams get butthurt about potential loss earnings from China, it's about sending a message.

We shouldn't let a foreign nation bully us around, especially when it comes to freedom of speech.

4. Nook

Nook Member

This.

It isn't hard.

Morey is a very bright, well educated and socially informed person.

He tweeted what he did because he supports democracy and supports Hong Kong.

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

We have the only ethical/forward-thinking commissioner in professional U.S. sports.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

As I said, I think there is a 50/50 chance he is gone by this date next year (Morey) and I have serious concerns about Tilman as an owner, especially when nepotism is involved.

BigMaloe, HP3, GermanRoxFan and 2 others like this.
  7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Well played, Perk. You reside on Cred Street USA.

8. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Morey had many tweets about politics, anti-discrimination and specifically gun controls issues before.

Just because he doesn't need to ride a horse, with a band to follow and then to announce his views on things like the King did, doesn't mean he is not caring anything happening in his country.

clutchdabear, malakas and Nook like this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

As for Kendrick Perkins........

He was a fake tough guy with a low IQ when I played against him 20 years ago and he still is one today.

He won't admit it but he became a bully because he was sick of getting his ass beat every day after school despite being a foot taller and 50 lbs heavier than everyone else. He got his face stomped after a tournament in Houston by a 6'4" white small forward that ended up playing in an Ivy league school. Perkins tried to pick on him and provoke him in front of the kids parents and high school girls.

Deuce, Richie_Rich, BigMaloe and 8 others like this.
  10. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Except rig 2018 WCF right?

11. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

And where exactly is that small forward today? What NBA team did he play for?

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Credit Silver for drawing a thick line when I thought he'd slither and squirm.

I do, however, think he chose the most optimal solution considering you had spineless "no comment" Senators coming out the woodwork to slam him and the league.

malakas likes this.
  13. Mr. Space City

14. Mr. Space City

Tillman will probably fire Morey anyways after the Rockets don't win the Championship. This is still a good gesture by Silver to have some type of spine.

He's been consistent about sticking up for NBA employees speaking about political issues, and has shown he's willing to take the heat for it.

15. Nook

Nook Member

He didn't play in the NBA. He played in college. I don't know what he does now, but with a degree from an Ivy League school I am sure he is doing fine.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  16. jayland

jayland Member

Tilman might be too cheap to fire Morey since he likely still has to pay most of Morey's remaining contract if he does. And then he has to hire another GM and pay the new GM too.

17. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Morey has friends in Hong Kong.

18. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Morey's own fake apology said he had "personal" concerns with situation in HK so it's possible he has either family or friends that are directly impacted. If he is sincere (I believe he is) then that connection is more than enough to get involved at any level.

I'll use MLB and it's players regarding Venezuela. Many many players had tweets supporting the people. Many supporting peace and the suffering people, none that I know of supporting the regime causing the crisis.

Just this past year MLB banned players from participating in the Venezuela Winter League.

NO ONE got into any trouble or issues for their tweets or comments. Why??? 1) because Venezuela has no money to spend and create any influence on any league or player and 2) because supporting peace and suffering citizens is a GOOD thing. Always has been until this China debacle. Leave it to China/CCP to get folks to stand against Freedom and suffering people. Shameful.

Like Chappelle said, if MLK had a shoe deal we'd still be at the back of the bus...

Remlap, malakas, clutchdabear and 2 others like this.
  19. caneks

caneks Rookie

I dislike Morey's moves most of the time, but chinese government acted like terrorist on Morey, a nation against one person over a tweet?

20. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

[​IMG]