1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans trade Jadeveon Clowney to Seattle

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Aug 31, 2019.

?

Do you like the trade?

Poll closed Aug 30, 2020.
  1. YES

5.6%
  2. NO

94.4%
  1. mario_v

mario_v Member

I think mercilus is just flat out better player than clowney. He’s a good run stopper but he can’t rush the passer like mercilus can.

Unfortunately for clowney, you get paid for rushing the passer, not for stopping the run.

The only thing clowney has over mercilus is name recognition. Clowney is a big name that’s still living off hype and potential, even though he’s 6 years into his playing career.

They should’ve traded him last year. At least they could’ve gotten a first round pick for him.

raining threes and Uprising like this.
  2. Nimo

Nimo Member

Yeah. People straight up tripping. I was one of those guys. He was one of my favorite players in this team People saying Mercilus is better are totally wrong or just have short memories. Same people that think Julio Jones isn't that good because he is not scoring touchdowns . Dude was a straight disrupter. An imposing figure that made you pay if you didn't have someone to account for him on the line of scrimmage. I wanted the Texans to keep him but it was clear the Texans (the head coach) did not want to keep him. I'm over it and past it. He is no longer a Texan, doesn't mean he wasn't good when he was in Houston.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  3. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

No one should be says Mercilus is a better talent, but he is a harder worker and fits the Texans' D better than Clowney when it comes to pass rushing.

4. Nimo

Nimo Member

That hard work reputation was false that has been disputed by many. But I get Mercilus might be a better fit for the Texans.

5. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you were saying Clowney sux, they should get rid of him so Mercilus cam shine 12 months ago, I have no issue with you.

It's people who thought Clowney was the bestest ever until the Texans traded him and at which point they started picking him apart like he's so obviously overrated that really get on my nerves.

red5rocket likes this.
  6. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

BoB defenders defending this sht trade, irritating as fk. If u dont want a player, trade him early not wait until literally the last second to trade him for sht value.

Its not rocket science.

7. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Take it for what’s it worth but the current PFF grades are Clowney 87.1, Watt 82, Mercilus 68.2.

Spacemoth likes this.
  8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Clowney is a lot better. It's not really close

9. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Really? The numbers as a pass rusher don’t bear that out when you put Mercilus at his Natural position.

Clowney is a better run stopper. However, you don’t pay run stoppers $100-$140 million over 6-7 years.

vince and Fulgore like this.
  10. Nimo

Nimo Member

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Please move thread to football forum

All this serves is for O'Brien haters to b**** while Texans are winning

Its over

BigShasta likes this.
  12. Mr. Clutch

Yes, mercilus won't be able to match what Clowney did last year imo. If you only look at traditional box you might think he's better but more in depth stats show that's not the case. The double team stat is one example

13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

They are not using Mercilus like Clowney. They are using Mercilus, Omenihu, Jacob Martin, and Brendan Scarlet in Clowney's role. They are using multiple guys in various situations. The Texans have been fine. Only giving up 88 yards rushing a game....but with better sack production. DJ Reader has helped with improved play up the middle.

14. Mr. Clutch

The defense has been fine, but I don't think it is top 10 like it was last year and several years prior

15. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Fans always get Deked by Crennels defense which takes 4-6 games every year to find their stride.

They very easily could have picked Mahomes about three times that game.

I still can’t believe the NFL didn’t review Justin Reid’s sideline interception. There was a still shot showing he got his feet down that Reid posted. Can’t hurt the poster boys stats.

vince and RasaqBoi like this.
  16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Problem remains the return, not the trade. Everyone else out here getting traded for multiple firsts, lol. I get Clowney had a contract issue that seriously lowered his value, but that return was insanely low.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  17. Mr. Clutch

Exactly. I think we had to trade Clowney because we already have Watt and Mercilus. No sense putting more money into that position, and we have to pay players at other positions.

But we literally paid Seattle to take him. At that point let him play on the tag, let him walk, then get a 3rd round compensatory pick.

We are "all in" on this year anyway.

18. vince

vince Member

Yes, you are right.

Problem is that disgruntled players kill morale and chemistry. The return was abysmal, by any standards. But the Texans did the right thing and cut ties.

Texans have good chemistry and are sitting on 4-2 with a power ranking in the top 5 in most publications.

Maybe we can settle this Clowney thing when we face each other in the Super Bowl.

19. Mr. Clutch

He wasn't disgruntled. He wanted to stay. O'Brien was disgruntled.

20. vince

vince Member

My bad, I should have clarified. Once Clowney got wind that he was being shopped around, I think that’s when he got disgusted by the way the Texans viewed him. At that point I think Clowney checked out of contributing further to the Texans.

Which left the Texans no choice but to beg for peanuts from any team he’d be willing to go to. Seattle probably gave the Texans an extra peanut as gratitude for gifting them our old Left Tackle Brown, who’s been pretty solid for them.