1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros vs. Yankees ALCS

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 12, 2019.

1. mick fry

mick fry Member

Stephen Uzick (@stephenuzick) Tweeted:
    @mattlanza @Climatologist49 I believe that hazard should be reserved for tomorrow night with a 30 MPH wind blowing out to center.

vince likes this.
  2. Nero

Nero Member

This, right here, is exactly my thinking. They should not decide who is pitching game 5 until we know the results of game 4.

But since they have already announced Verlander as game 5 starter, is that written in stone? Could they change their minds and start Urquidy or Peacock in game 5 if game 4 goes down as a loss? This is not a knock on JV, but I like him much more in game 6 than in game 5.

Verlander in game 5 ONLY makes sense if we win game 4. Otherwise, it just feels... wrong.

htwnbandit and marks0223 like this.
  3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

A higher launch angle maybe good for hitters tonight :eek:

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not according to Hinch, “As soon as we can use our best pitchers, the better for us,”

vince and conquistador#11 like this.
  5. AstrosRockets1818

Wow are some of you idiot callers on 790 right now still complaining about Verlander game 5? Some of y’all are absolutely 100% clueless.

BigM likes this.
  6. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

he lost me at the problem is you’re up 2-1.

7. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Pitching Verlander in a potential game 6 has merit but there’s nothing dumb about pitching him in game 5. If that’s your take, you’re just wrong. This is the best approach.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Ha! That's awesome...I sincerely don't remember that at all. I think 2001 playoffs are the ones in Astro history I remember the very least.

Plowman likes this.
  9. likestohypeguy

Looks like the series is no longer on the schedule in the OP.. what is the time/channel now, for today and going forward?

10. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

im Not saying Hinch is wrong/ I’m just saying consider the following:

Tanaka v bullpen- edge NYY
    JV v Paxton- edge- Hou
    Greinke v bullpen- edge HOU
    Cole v Severino- edge HOU

So if we got the bullpen out of the way tonight that’s advantage in 3/4 games for us only needing to win 2.

As it stands right now you’d have to say edge NYY in 2 and Houston in 2.

We only need to win 2. Also, aces get cracked all the time so it’s not like one way is perfect and the other sucks. I just happen to think that of the goal is to get 2 wins in the next 4 games we aren’t doing it in the most optimal way possible.

11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/us/ny/manhattan/40.77,-73.98

According to this, 13mph out of the west for a 8pm est start time, decreasing slightly to 11-12mph by 10pm. Of course, this is a weather forecast were talking about here :rolleyes:

12. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I get what you are saying. However, you would basically be throwing the game tonight if we pitch our bullpen against Tanaka. That is unheard of. That isn't just an "edge" to NYY, that is an unbelievably massive advantage to them. I would be worried their bats would awaken in a bullpen game by the Astros in 30 MPH in Yankee Stadium. Sounds like a recipe for a disaster and huge momentum swing. I will take Tanaka vs. Greinke and hope that Tanaka can not strike lighting in a bottle twice against us and Greinke pitches a little bit better than he did in GM 1.

I actually like a potential GM 6 matchup of NYY bullpen vs HOU bullpen mainly because it will be at home and I would much rather have Urquidy/Peacock/James/etc. pitch in HOU rather than NYY. Also, hopefully NYY bullpen is taxed by then. Would still give the edge to NYY in that type of a game which is why it is so important that we play our best in GM 4 & 5 to try and close this out. Also, Yankees bullpen could potentially shut us down similar to the way the Rays did and then we wouldn't have the edge in a Greinke vs. Bullpen matchup as you mention above. That game would be a toss up no matter what depending on if we can hit their bullpen or not.

jim1961 likes this.
  13. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I do see that point of view and its fair. But there are four things I dont like about it.

1) I like seeing SP pitch on their regular day. Delaying to game 6 gives JV an extra day. Probably not a bad thing, but who knows what changing someones rest schedule will affect?

2) I like pitching your best as often as possible. Sorta like a lineup card, you want your best hitters coming up in the order as often as possible.

3) I dont like the idea of delaying a better pitcher in favor of a lesser one unless there is some very compelling reason not to. The main and perhaps only reason given ive seen is that JV will pitch better at home. Well, that may be, but whether a bullpen or Urquidy or whoever for game 6 or 7, they will probably pitch better at home also. I would also add that JV is made of stouter stuff than any bullpen guy we have and handling the pressure of pitching in NY favors JV more than anyone else.

4) Pitching JV in gm5 lines up better for the next series.

#4213 jim1961, Oct 17, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Why would Greinke have the edge over NYY's bullpen?

15. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

I'm just nervous about Verlander pitching in Yankee stadium with the wind blowing out and a short RF porch. Not ideal for the fly ball pitcher that he is, and how many of the fly balls that went to the warning track in his last start now just get over that fence.

Just seems like a waste to me, and we should be putting Verlander and Cole in the best possible conditions to get Ws since those are the only 2 games we need to win to get the series. The Bullpen/Greinke games are just extra opportunities to give us cushion.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  16. AstrosRockets1818

If we did a Bullpen day for Game 5; all of the Yankees would be doing cartwheels before, during, and after the game. Thank God our manager is A.J. Hinch.

17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

No advantage tonight, agreed.

Both bullpens are well rested and have had 2+ days of rest. But by gm 6-7, this may not be the case.

18. rdsgonzo13

rdsgonzo13 Contributing Member

Seems like the opposite to me.

MMP - Short field is Crawford boxes
    NYY - Short field is Right Field.

A righty is more vulnerable in a park with a shorter left field than a shorter right field.

The ball did not seem to be carrying well at all in Game 3. Didi, Maldonado (2X) hit what seemed like homers but the ball wasn't carrying due to the cold weather.

I think Verlander is better suited for a start in the Bronx. You can rely on your strong HFA to have a chance at a win in Houston no matter who trots the mound but on the road I think the value of your aces is higher since it can effectively negate traditional HFA for the opponent.

Aces also are less likely to get rattled on the road than would relievers in a Bullpen. Aces have been there, done that in every MLB stadium. Verlander has pitched well in NYY as an Astro in 2019 and 2018.

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If it gets to Game 7, NYY bullpen will be mostly done and they will need a good game from Severino. Astros got JV going the night before Game 6. Not sure NYY's best bullpen pitchers will be toast for Game 6 unless the Yankees beat JV.

20. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Up 3-1...100% yes to pitching Verlander. This issue is if the series is tied 2-2 then I feel like the season is riding on game 5 if you pitch Verlander. A loss in game 5 and then hello Urquidy and the bullpen to save the season in game 6. If tied 2-2, they fly Verlander home early which is customary for starting pitchers pitching the next day in a different city. Who are they flying home early if it's a "bullpen" day on Saturday?

If you're saying there is no question that you pitch Verlander when the series is tied 2-2 then you must also be ok with a bullpen day to save the season if down 2-3. Verlander pitched in a game 6 down 2-3 in 2017 and that worked out great and this year Cole would follow in game 7. It's a gamble pitching Verlander 2-2, it could work out great, or it could be a big reason why our season ends in game 6.

Just win today and its all good...