1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Spurs @ Rockets 10/16/2019 (Preseason)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Mr. Space City

Clint Capela peaked.

BasketMAD and BigShasta like this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Mike:

Jet lag legs?

Well I hope so. If not, we're in trouble. We just didn't get into anybody. They scored at will. They didn't feel us. It's been that way for a couple days. I get it. We gotta put the alarm bell out there & get ready for the season. We're not there. You can see it. Our legs weren't there. We'll see Friday if we're a little better. It wasn't good tonight. Defense tonight didn't give us a chance.

It was bad yesterday, the day before. I'm hoping it's the trip. There's no excuse. ...

How do you like the look of Danuel House starting?

Yeah, Eric is a big punch off the bench. He'll get his shots. Danuel gives you good energy & athleticism. A lot of good things.

Gerald's injury have anything to do with that?

No.

Russ still working to find his spots?

He hasn't played all summer, plus I think he has a couple dislocated fingers. He'll work into it. He'll be fine. You can see when he goes, he goes. He'll be alright.

Where are you in terms of figuring how he fits in the half court stuff?

We're gonna run our stuff and he'll find a way. We'll get a little better. Right now, he's just maybe just doesn't feel good for him. You can tell. He's struggling to make the pass or the finish or whatever. That's normal when you come back. He plays so fast that the game just goes like this and if you haven't played for awhile, you can lose your rhythm. He is a MVP and triple-double guy so that's probably not my worry. You don't have to worry about him. He's gonna be fine.

What did you see from Chris Clemons?

That's what he does. I like him. He's got a real shot. I like Ben McLemore. He played well. Those two together played well.

Think a question about 9-man rotation?

We'll see. Still trying to sort some guys. Want to give everyone a chance. Thabo is gonna help us. He knows how to play. Gotta get Clint going. He didn't play very well tonight. He's gotta play better.

Going small/rebounding

I don't disagree with you, we can do a better job but second chance points the same (13). They had 7 OR, we had 10. They got a couple over us but overall not where we got beat. Got beat because we didn't get into them. They shot 57% and we didn't. They shoot 57% and we shoot 43%, they win. We gotta do a lot better job. 18 turnovers, way too many turnovers. They had 24 points off turnovers. We gotta clean things up, get our legs & play better. We just didn't play well.

#262 J.R., Oct 16, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    Vivi, BaselineFade, ico4498 and 7 others like this.
  3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

128 points surrendered is our doom.

We will win 50 games, then lose 2nd round or CF mainly because of weak defense.

RichieBanks, saleem and BasketMAD like this.
  4. magichat281

magichat281 Member

LOL

bro2044 and saleem like this.
  5. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Right before contract was signed.

Hmmmmm

BasketMAD and Mr. Space City like this.
  6. alethios

alethios Member

So, not MVP-caliber?

7. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

OMG OMG OMG, the season is doomed. What is going on? Who is going to fix this? Why is Westbrook missing so many shots? Is he out of shape? Harden and Westbrook better start clicking fast or we might as well tank this season for a lotto pick. Clint and all our centers are terrible. Where's our defense?

LOL, that's what this game thread sounds like. Chill out people. Quit panicking and bashing everyone in a preseason game on a team that has been flying around the world. Give it time. Mark my words. You will start to see that this team is pretty good. The Rockets always take awhile to get it right, and then we will start to see the magic.

8. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

Not concerned yet but Westbrook seems lost at times. When Harden is on the court, everyone clears out for him to go one-on-one. Want to see more offense and plays made for Westbrook for layups or him throwing it out to perimeter shooter while driving in. We know what Harden can do already so why give him 34 minutes of playing time in preseason?!!

Crashlanded19 and saleem like this.
  9. Eleazucena

Eleazucena Member

defense is the problem on this team. book it. their opponent will put up more number than the rockets.. this is will be a repeat of 18-19 at the start of the season.

saleem likes this.
  10. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

MDA needs to be fired. He's never going to win a championship. You homers can whine all you want about my comment, but history shows that it's the coaches that were willing to be tough on their players without making excuses that win championships, not the cheerleaders.

JW86 and BigShasta like this.
  11. icewill36

icewill36 Member

I’m not so sure about 50 wins right now. This team has some MAJOR flaws. I am not sure the offense is going to be as good as we were all hoping to make up for some of the porous defense.

Are we better than last year? We added a poor shooter to a lineup that already has a 5 who can’t shoot do anything but dunk, and pj tucker who is average at best shooting but in general no threat on offense.

BasketMAD and Houstunna like this.
  12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

That’s pretty much it. Westbrook looks rusty after offseason surgery, only recently cleared for 5 on 5, new team.

Maybe I mistook the lack of chemistry for disinterest. Hopefully they gel soon. I don’t expect Westbrook to completely reinvent himself, but so long as we take advantage of his positives (competitive nature, drive to the basket, rebounding).

Fingers crossed, rubbing that rabbit foot.

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Let me give the Reader’s Digest version:

Reporter: Coach, what happened out there?

Dan Tony: We sucked ass. And not in the good way. We’re still dragging from the trip. Russ has been out of it. Clint played with his head up his culo.

Reporter: Thanks, Coach.

Dan Tony: We done? See you Friday.

J.R. likes this.
  14. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Just watched the highlights. My biggest takeaway? Those white jerseys make my eyes bleed. Worse than the pajamas

15. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

Like most centers do around the young 20's. After that, they get too comfortable and lazy.

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

@pippendagimp :eek::eek:

Fri, WB out to rest his fingers
    Thu v Bucks: WB insists on playing season opener. Pulled in first 2 minutes of game
    Frid: Looks like we'll have to shut him down for a week until swelling subsides
    week later: not responding to treatment, needs MRI
    1st opinion: Minor procedure to drain fluids
    2nd opinion: Major Surgery

#276 heypartner, Oct 16, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    alethios, Vivi, RichieBanks and 4 others like this.
  17. Rochut

Rochut Member

And this might actually help our offensive efficiency!

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Lol im not worried about Westbrook at all.....guys its preseason, with a big piece you trying to integrate. Preseason is the best time to f around with stuff

Again harden alone gets you 45 wins.

Come on guys lol. Its gonna be bumps. I cant wait till the playoffs tho

19. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

This game was sloppy from the beginning.

Not going to take much away from this one.

I think the rockets will revert to what won them slot of games last year early and hope Russ and the rest of the new guys start to gel by December.

We have to get off to a hot start and imo that will come with just playing the Houston Harden way.

I wouldn’t be to worried.

It’s preseason and we looked pretty good in every game but this one.

We’ll be fine.

Harden is a machine he could easily avg 40ppg if he just wanted to make the playoffs and not win a championship.

Russ is a great player and it’s so clear how much better harden is then him.

Harden is one of the best players ever it’s just so easy for him to do everything on offense.

I think the D will lock in come reg season but I’m worried about the rebounding. House really needs to start and take a step he’s honestly the key to this whole thing.

Ryno has a place on this team but it’s not in certain situations but he’s been shooting pretty decent again which is a good sign but he gets abused on D and he’s actually trying and in the right spots he just gets scored on it’s crazy but I think the law of avg will prevail because some of the shots guys made over him tonight we’re not easy.

don grahamleone and Houstunna like this.
  20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Westbrook looks awful, like really bad :(

daywalker02 likes this.