1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans legend announces his retirement

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Oct 16, 2019.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

“It was extremely unfortunate we were not able to come to a deal in Denver because I absolutely love that organization, love that city,’’ Osweiler said. “But that’s the business side and how things work out. As far as my time in Houston, it was a learning experience that will carry me through the rest of my life.’’

With a bigger paycheck came raised expectations. Although Osweiler led the Texans to the AFC South Division title and first-round playoff win in his first year as a full-time NFL starting quarterback in 2016, Osweiler was traded to Cleveland after that season.

“There were so many learning moments throughout that year,’’ he said. “Don’t get me wrong, there were hard, trying moments. But the lessons I learned coming out of the season is something I wouldn’t trade for anything. I’ve always been a glass half-full guy. The things I will take from that season is I made relationships that will last the rest of my life. I had tremendous teammates. We won a division championship and we won a playoff game.’’

[​IMG]

#1 J.R., Oct 16, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    vince likes this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

#2 J.R., Oct 16, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  3. conquistador#11

I won't expect him getting a coaching gig with this squad.
    Although, he could train the rookies on press conferences, "every interception has a story" > "Great teammate. hard worker."

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

It is kind of sad that he wanted to retire a Bronco like...he was there for a hot minute and barely did anything but be a good backup QB.

Dude is at best a Jeopardy question...but seriously he was at once a starting NFL QB and not many people can say that so he's already been super successful in life.

BigShasta likes this.
  5. whozee

whozee Member

6. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

How much of that salary was because OBrien liked him?

8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Um....I know u HATE BoB, but Rick Smith signed Brock without O'Brien meeting him (at the orders of Bob McNair to find a QB).

O'Brien HATED Brock. Remember, O'Brien almost threw punches at him at halftime.

9. Mr. Clutch

Plenty of film study

After the Texans' 30-0 loss to Kansas City in the playoffs, O'Brien took off a couple of days before returning to the film room. First, he evaluated each of the Texans. Then, he turned to prospective free agents and watched tape before filing his report with Smith.

When O'Brien finished, Osweiler was at the top of his list of quarterbacks.

"We study all these guys," O'Brien said. "We watch their (regular-season) tape (and) their preseason tape. When you threw the tape on from (last season), it was impressive. He played in some very tough games, some very meaningful games.

"It's not easy to be a starting quarterback in this league. It's one of the most difficult things in sports to do. I think we got the right guy."
    https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...uisition-began-in-film-room-ended-6886807.php

The Texans coach gushed over Osweiler during Tuesday's AFC Coaches Breakfast, talking about what he discovered while watching every snap from the former Broncos passer.

"I think the first thing you look at is his film, how he plays the game," O'Brien said. "He's a big, tall guy with a strong arm and he stands in the pocket. When the rush is bearing down on him, he delivers the ball. Now, look, it's not always clean, but there's a lot that goes into that. I think the one thing I like about this guy is that he's got good leadership ability."

The Texans pounced on Osweiler only after an extensive review of every available quarterback, with O'Brien saying the team "spent a lot of time studying a lot of different guys, college guys, pro guys," but felt like "Brock gave us the best chance to win
    ."

"I thought the New England game was one particular game that stood out to me because they were really, in coaching lingo, they were 'getting after him.' They were hitting him and he was delivering the football and getting right back up and calling the next play. One of the main requirements for a quarterback in this league is the ability to stand in there -- when everything's flying at you -- take a hit and deliver the ball, and that's one thing in that game that really stood out to me."

On the Raiders tilt: "(Pass rusher) Khalil Mack must have hit him, I don't know, eight to 10 times in that game? Stood in there, delivered the ball, maybe statistically it wasn't his best game, but to someone who's been coaching that position for a while and has really studied it, that means a lot to us."

Not everyone believes that Osweiler's ready for prime time, but at least one NFL coach is completely sold.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000646489/article/what-made-bill-obrien-fall-for-brock-osweiler

10. Mr. Space City

11. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Why bother
    Mr. Scarface is gonna deny that BoB never said any of these thing, BoB can do no wrong. He's the chosen one who will lead us to another AFC south title and maybe Superbowl and we are all just haters who will find any reason just to hate on BoB.

TheRealist137 and Nook like this.
  12. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

LOL...O’Brien is not going to **** on a QB he was stuck with that season.

“Yeah, I didn’t want Brock but he was forced on me by management. I think he sucks but I have to work with him and keep his confidence up”.

Have to find John McClain’s take back then.....

Sort of like denying u hate O’Brien, right? “Why bother ?”

TheFreak likes this.
  13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

https://www.google.com/amp/s/toroti...rock-osweiler-was-never-bill-obriens-guy/amp/

Texans owner Bob McNair said the folllowing at the NFL owners meeting:

“We didn’t know Brock well enough,” McNair told the Houston Chronicle. “Coach [Bill O’Brien] didn’t have a chance to get to know him….You can’t talk to them (players on other teams’ rosters) before they become a free agent. You can’t work them out. We didn’t know him that well.”

Other than admitting they made an ill-advised signing, McNair also proved that O’Brien did not have much of a say.

When asked why the team did not start Savage over the recently signed Brock Osweiler, Lombardi exclaimed:

“If we go back and really analyze the Brock Osweiler signing, I think Rick Smith went ahead, acted on his own as the general manager … and went ahead and signed him. … I talked to the coaches there and there wasn’t a lot of love [for Osweiler]. My sense of it is, yes you’re right, you can make that statement. But I think the general manager made this [move] more than the coaching staff in a unified decision.”

That’s how it is done, right?

mario_v likes this.
  14. Mr. Clutch

15. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I dont deny hating BoB. This guy isnt gonna get us anywhere especially not to the superbowl. He has proven in playoffs and in other hugh stake matches that he sucks (beside chief game). U r the one who claims to not b a BoB defender but u will defend him on even the shttiest of moves.

Thats the difference. I call sht when i see it and will praise accordingly, ex hc coach a solid game vs the chiefs. U just balls deep defend BoB to the very end. Dont group me with u

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  16. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Fking hell, its like u didnt even read and just grab some bs writing to back your stance to defend the holy one. Here at the very bottom of the opinionated article.
    These are all opinions for now, but in the near future I expect the whole truth to come out about the Brock Osweiler-Bill O’Brien forced marriage of 2017.

17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

That was the truth. Actually the Truth was worse.

18. Mr. Clutch

That truth is worse. O'Brien really wanted Brock as John McClain has reported. Lombardi had no info, he was opining.

It's not like obrien hasnt immediately changed his mind after bringing someone on multiple times

Nook likes this.
  19. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Compared to your opinionated evidence of Brock being forced onto BoB.

The other poster has an article with direct quotes from our hc slobbering over Brock.

Ones from nfl.com, the other lol. Its not hard for people who arent bias to see the "truth"

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  20. Mr. Clutch

@McClain_on_NFL: For the 1,000th time: Bill O'Brien and Rick Smith wanted Osweiler. For anyone to say O'Brien didn't want him, they're blatantly wrong!

Nook likes this.