1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would u give up 15% of your income to support HK protest?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingLeoric, Oct 16, 2019.

?

Would u give up 15% of your income to support HK protest?

1. Yes

29 vote(s)
    23.2%
  2. No

96 vote(s)
    76.8%
  1. dmoneybangbang

Which brings up a bigger issue than basketball... do we want this alternative Chinese internet dictating speech to us? It's not enough for China to ban Twitter, they need to go further to control the narrative. How's this alternative internet going to look in 5 years? 10 years?

At this point China is realizing it's bringing far more attention to an issue than it intended as they just wanted to "punish" Morey and the NBA.

Nook and malakas like this.
  2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Time for a 'Time to tone it down!' on the GARM political posts, @Clutch

#162 Xerobull, Oct 16, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  3. Miracle

Miracle Member

The tweet had already been forwarded, circulated, and drawn significant dissent on the Chinese social network (see this post for a complete description of the process).

Lovemachine2000 likes this.
  4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Technically with all the money we have spent fighting unnecessary wars - I am sure we have all spent more than 15%......so the rich can protect their interests.

The military is not in the Middle East fighting for our freedom, they are fighting for the rich's money.

DD

5. dmoneybangbang

I don't know about "complete description" but I understand what happened. I was more making a point about censure-ship and the increasingly powerful Chinese alternative to the internet.

I think China learned it reached too far here.

6. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

If I made as much as Lebron, Harden, Morey then yes.

7. Remlap

Remlap Member

LOL @ everyone worried about Lebron or Harden or AD or any of the NBA stars losing '15% of their income'
    We're worried about overpaid athletes taking a small cut from the MASSIVE salaries?
    This whole topic loses touch with reality. 15% to them is NOTHING like 15% to the rest of us.
    Most of US struggle to pay bills and make ends meet.
    Stresses facing these millionaires is, what color Lambo should I buy? Should I buy another vacation home?
    Is the gate around my home noticeable enough or high enough?

To apply this more appropriately to the average Joe (like most on CF), maybe the question should be re-phrased:

"Could you live on $20 Mil per year while opposing Chinese oppression and standing up for freedom?
    Would you be willing to trade places with these inconvenienced athletes?
    "

[​IMG]

#167 Remlap, Oct 16, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    ghettocheeze and JeffB like this.
  8. jojolover

jojolover Member

That's probably why you don't make $2 mil a year :)

9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Probably not. Being excessively wealthy today has more to do with rampant nepotism than merit these days.

Also, the vast majority of NBA athletes would still be worth over 2 million even if they gave up all their Chinese endorsements.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  10. icewill36

icewill36 Member

You guys are idiots. You think he should be ok with losing salary simply because he can afford it? Jesus Christ.

I’m sure most people here could afford to donate $500 you spend on BS throughout the year but I bet none of you will. Yet somehow you think athletes should be ok with giving millions. Gtfo

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I'm sure there is a threshold for you too. Hypothetically if you were 40 million dollars ans 10 million of it came from the Nazi regime supporting you, would you still take that 10 million?

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You can’t grasp the thought of relativity can you?

I’d like to see you b**** at an ATM when you get hit with a $3 fee. You’d probably waste $5 gas to avoid it huh?

fchowd0311 likes this.
  13. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’d give up 15% of my income to go back to life in 2001 before 9/11. I’d give up 15% if it meant a free liberal China.

malakas, Nook and Invisible Fan like this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

No, I would and many people would. Just because you wouldn’t doesn’t mean everyone else wouldn’t.

You may not give a damn about other people but there are people that really do.

malakas likes this.
  15. icewill36

icewill36 Member

The point is, none of you have given a dime yet you want to call for athletes to give up money.

16. icewill36

icewill36 Member

Then how much have you donated ?

17. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

Yeah, give us a number then?

18. AirPower

AirPower Member

For one, it's all theoretical. They may not end up losing anything in the long run.

And, they're not donating money to Hong Kong, they would be losing income from a repressive business partner.

Again, the question isn't whether or not people are donating to HK, because that's not what the NBA players or the league is doing. The question is would you give up revenue in order to stand by your morals and principles? Clearly the NBA and the players are perfectly happy to exchange morals and principles for revenue.

Let's say you have a business in the US. You own that business with multiple partners and your business takes strong positions in your local community against abuse towards women. You find out that one of your highest revenue generating partners is abusive to women, beating, raping, drugging them. Would you ignore it because that person generates a lot of revenue for the business or would you end your business relationship with that person.

malakas and Nook like this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

I donate about 5,000 a year to charities. The trust set up by my work matches dollar for dollar up to 5,000.

So either 5,000 or 10,000 depending on how you look at it.

While I have been blessed that my firm has been successful, I am not making tens of millions of dollars a year. If I did I would certainly give a lot more.

We have a responsibility to do what is right when we can.

You are certainly not the first person claim they wouldn’t help and assume that everyone feels the same or does the same. That isn’t the case there are lots of people that support just causes with money and time. Dying with a pot of gold and haven’t done much with it means little to me.

malakas likes this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

False.

Lots of people donate time and money to worthy causes.

malakas likes this.