1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros vs. Yankees ALCS

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

No. They’re not changing game 6 and 7. They’ll still be on Saturday and Sunday.

lw17 likes this.
  2. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Slim to none. No rain tomorrow during day or night. Would have to be due to some weird field not draining water issue, or random damage to Yankee Stadium from the wind/storm coming tonight.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If Urquidy pitches well, Urquidy pitches. Advantage Astros.
    If Urquidy isn't pitching well, Hinch goes to bullpen. Advantage Astros.
    There is a small area that Urquidy implodes faster than Hinch can yank him that would give the Nationals the advantage.

On Urquidy's shaky 1.2 innings, it was 1.2 innings, and the only reason it was shaky is that the Rays weren't able to hit the ball far enough for the outfielders to catch it.

On Sanchez pitching deeper, why is this an advantage to the Nationals? The longer the 4th starter goes, the likelier they will be hit. Nationals will probably get 3 innings to score off Urquidy unless Urquidy is dominating.

The Nationals are the second best rotation.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  4. AstrosRockets1818

please tell me you’re trying to be funny?

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Greinke was always going to pitch either game 4 or 5.

6. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

But if Urquidy wins, JV is preserved for Game 1 WS.

7. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Why are people terrified of Greinke? He has generally been a good pitcher as an Astro. If it’s because it’s somebody not named Verlander and Cole, fine. But he’s going to be good more often than not.

8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

No real surprise with Greinke and Verlander, it was the only logical option.

If the Yankees beat both of them, then so be it. More likely we win both and end it or split, which leaves us with 6 and 7 at home with Cole fully rested as the safety net. Makes no sense to assume worst case scenario.

Joe Joe and AstrosRockets1818 like this.
  9. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Random question. In this day and age, why is that basically only baseball and cricket are postponed due to rain? I know people say increased risk of injuries, but isn't that also true for other sports?

Can't they have better technology of cleats, ball, bat, gloves to play during rain?

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I need Urquidy to be Backe-like, please.

11. SemisolidSnake

I'm not. I made a mistake. I was looking at the official Astros tweet earlier in the thread that said "Tonight’s Game 4 of the ALCS has been postponed due to inclement weather conditions. The game has been rescheduled for **Friday** with a 6:08pm CT first pitch. " It seemed a little odd to me, but I didn't see how you could screw up something that important, so I didn't question it until until @Nick made me think that something wasn't quite right with my post.

Ok, then, I guess it's going to be a hectic, draining Thursday through Sunday.

12. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

People are conditioned to have Verlander and Cole like performances....

Grenike is fine as #3. Give us 6 good innings of 2-3 run baseball and that's good enough for me.

lw17, SemisolidSnake and BigM like this.
  13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Other sports aren't throwing potentially lethal objects 100 MPH.

Buck Turgidson and Wulaw Horn like this.
  14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Golf, tennis also get postponed. And now most football games get postponed for any sort of severe lightning.

Add to the fact that fans don’t want to sit in the rain. Ever.

15. AstrosRockets1818

This reminds me of the ALCS last year... but now we are the ones about to win 4 in a row after dropping the opener at home.

Kill

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Assuming Greinke wins.

Personally, I'd pitch Urguidy in the event of a Greinke win, but everyone should be pleased that I am not in charge.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I think it was fair to discuss/debate. I’m sure in the end they left the option up to JV and he chose this.

If they do come to Houston down 3-2, and have to think about using Cole on short rest, it most certainly will be second guessed and criticized.

In the end, they do likely split.

18. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Agreed, I thought he pitched well in GM 1. The thing I worry about is this gives the Yankees a chance to go with Tanaka again on normal rest right? I don't like the matchup of Greinke vs. Tanaka but it is by far our best option. Anything on who the Yankees are rolling with for GM 4 & 5? I assume Tanaka and Paxton? This might keep their bullpen fresh unless we can get to Tanaka and/or Paxton early and often causing Boone to go with his quick trigger.

BigM likes this.
  19. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

That makes sense.

Lightning of course, but more often for baseball the issue is rain delays.

Most of the major tennis centers have or planning to have retractable roofs to eliminate delays of the important matches. Golf makes sense to delay because of basic physics of the sport and everyone carrying bags of lightning rods.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They should have more retractable roofs in baseball too.

any sport where the field or the game fundamentally changes due to rain should be postponed. Running in mud, Ground balls dying on the field, and Rain impairing sight would make Baseball in the rain awful to watch.

lw17 and Joe Joe like this.