1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fort Worth cop shoots Black Woman at her home thru a window.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Mr.Scarface, Oct 13, 2019.

1. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Ok. I just think that the idea that this woman did anything remotely wrong is crazy.

Dark Rhino and Kim like this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

A former Fort Worth police officer who fatally shot a woman while she was at home playing video games over the weekend was arrested and charged with murder on Monday, the latest development in a case that has sparked national outrage and renewed demands for police accountability.

The officer, Aaron Y. Dean, who is white, resigned earlier on Monday, hours before the police chief had planned to fire him, amid growing anger and frustration in the community that the woman, Atatiana Jefferson, had become yet another black person killed by the police, this time in the safety of her own home.

Police officers were responding to a call from a concerned neighbor when Ms. Jefferson, 28, was shot through her bedroom window.

“I get it,” Chief Kraus said of the widespread public anger that followed the release of body camera video in the case. It showed that Ms. Jefferson had been given no warning that it was a police officer who had crept into her backyard, shined a light into her bedroom window and shouted, “Put your hands up! Show me your hands!” immediately before firing a single fatal shot.

“Nobody looked at that video and said there was any doubt that this officer acted inappropriately,” the chief said.

Mr. Dean had been with the Fort Worth Police Department since April 2018, after graduating from the police academy a month earlier, according to documents provided by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement, a state regulatory agency.

On Monday night, he was being held in the Tarrant County jail in lieu of $200,000 bond.

Ms. Jefferson had recently moved home with her mother, who was in declining health, and was selling medical equipment while she studied to enter medical school. She had been playing video games with her 8-year-old nephew in the early hours of Saturday morning when a neighbor called a police nonemergency line at 2:23 a.m., saying he was concerned that the front and side doors of Ms. Jefferson’s house had been open for several hours.

The authorities said Mr. Dean did not identify himself as a police officer before firing a fatal shot at Ms. Jefferson through the window.

Ms. Jefferson died in her bedroom after officers tried to provide medical assistance, according to the Tarrant County medical examiner’s office. Her nephew was in the room when the shooting occurred, the authorities said.

Chief Kraus said he regretted that the Police Department had released photographs of a gun found on the floor below the window in Ms. Jefferson’s bedroom after she was killed — though he declined to say if she was holding it, or if the officer saw it before he shot her.

She had every right to have a gun in her bedroom, the chief said. “We’re homeowners in the state of Texas,” he said. “I can’t imagine most of us — if we thought we had somebody outside our house that shouldn’t be and we had access to a firearm — that we wouldn’t act very similarly to how she acted.”

3. ThrillaNManilla

ThrillaNManilla Contributing Member

"Default position?" Give me a break. Yeah, cause that is exactly what they are trained to do. Ignorance at its finest.

Dark Rhino likes this.
  4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Police are not trained to handle people with mental problems or complex situations. They are trained to eliminate threats and subdue suspects. You seem ignorant about it. There are tons of videos where police shot innocent people. Remember the caretaker who caught a bullet in florida?

JeffB and amaru like this.
  5. amaru

amaru Member

Your opinion has been noted.

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

honestly, this is incredibly scary

police can just show up and not announce themselves...u have no clue what’s going on and make some sort of movement...before u know it, the cops are busting shots and you’re dead

1 of the scariest situations I can remember seeing is this one

man, it makes my heart pound seeing that

CCity Zero and Sajan like this.
  7. Sajan

Sajan Member

Yup. This is the stuff that scares me. You got police pointing the gun at you screaming and you expect a random citizen scared sh!tless to do EXACTLY what they are doing.

The other day I got pulled over on my street as I was pulling into my driveway. I rolled through a T intersection stop sign in front of my house.
    I was already in my driveway by the time he turned on the lights.
    I waited about 2 mins in my car and he still didn't come out. I got out...i didn't know if he was waiting for me and he screamed at me to get back in the car.
    Now that I think about it, that was a stupid thing of me to do. What if he felt threatened and shot me.

REEKO_HTOWN, CCity Zero and Reeko like this.
  8. Reeko

Reeko Member

I can only imagine what the man was going through...he probably knew he was about to die

I get ridiculous anxiety just watching that. Experiencing it 1st hand? I don’t think I would’ve been able to think straight in that situation. It would’ve been a wrap for me, I would’ve been shot too.

1 day u could run into that 1 cop who’s trigger happy or on a power trip, and it could be all over.

CCity Zero and Sajan like this.
  9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Well that may be the case but this is the force we have

10. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

So not guilty... and 2nd degree manslaughter was all he could have been charged with, that's bullshit. They had multiple ways of handling this situation and did everything wrong.

Obviously not all cops are bad... but this video, the one of the lady that was just murdered in her own home, and the one that only got 10 years for going into the wrong apartment are awful. And sadly these last two are only just being talked about because they're current. I mean imagine if we went into the wrong apartment and shot someone - "oops... I didn't know I was in the wrong apartment, nothing matched my place but I shot anyway", man **** that, we'd be getting a lot more than 10 years.

I'd like to see the stats/counts of wrongful deaths by police and then the conviction rate against them. Most of them just get a slap on the wrist from what I've seen, and then move to another PD, what a joke (to put it lightly).

These cops are getting out of hand and need real training. Most of the time the way the bad ones handle everything is to escalate it and then ask questions later. Such BS. On this latest murder I can't imagine how the nephew is going to grow up as an 8 y/o and even try to understand why her aunt was murdered through the window (and watched the whole thing), America isn't supposed to be some War zone and while we can say "oh these are isolated incidents" they happen far too often. I can't even imagine what her family/friends that were involved are going through. This is so awful, I mean wtf.

Reeko likes this.
  11. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

This too. I mean an average citizen, would **** up all the time, do we need training on what to do (like seriously)? In that video you showed, the guy knew he was probably going to die, I don't even know how I'd handle it... I mean even if he laid down and ignored them he'd still be shot probably. And now with these latest situations you're not even safe in your own home. I also like how the Houston one where they shot up the wrong house basically got buried (and sadly it was because there were more wrongful deaths to report on that were even worse).

Reeko likes this.
  12. Reeko

Reeko Member

10 years for killing someone due to your own negligence and incompetence. It’s a joke, but sadly, I’m glad she even got that.

it’s so true...they are often escalating situations, and then on top of that, they’re trigger happy

the cop shows up, starts yelling out orders, and then not even 2 seconds later just shoots...she doesn’t even know who is there, why they’re there, or what is going on...before she even has time to blink she’s shot dead...it’s tragic

that child will probably need therapy

Sajan and CCity Zero like this.
  13. Reeko

Reeko Member

laying down is the thing that most comes to mind of what I would’ve tried to do in that situation...keep my hands outstretched at all times and slowly lay down hoping they don’t shoot me on the way down and just play dead praying they’ll come and cuff me

more than likely I would’ve accidentally twitched a finger or lowered a hand just slightly because I’m not able to process these commands while freaking out and fearing for my life, and I would’ve been killed

I haven’t even heard about the Houston one...it’s crazy man

Sajan and CCity Zero like this.
  14. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, I'd probably mess up too in that situation, especially being yelled at with commands and guns pointed at you. Trying to just survive etc. Just hard to even try to imagine, and you only get one chance without practice.

Reeko likes this.
  15. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, it's just sad, I'm glad she got 10 years too (even though I definitely agree it wasn't enough, but certainly better than none).

And for the child I mean, it sounds like he viewed her as a second mom, it was already awful but I think it makes it even worse for him, just saw some more news on it...

And from what they've shown on the bodycam footage, there was literally no way (gun or not) that she was at fault, he gave her like no time (as you stated), didn't announce himself, and she's allowed to have a gun in her own home etc. (I honestly can't even tell if it's clear in the bodycam footage she even had it out, and if she did... It's still her house). From the basic cop knowledge I have, he did nothing right. I'm sure the PD/court case will state otherwise, but we all know better. I hate the cops that state something like this is a one off incident, but don't take into account that this "one off incident" just destroyed a family/took a life, life is too fragile and the bad cops that are trigger happy should scare anyone.

Reeko likes this.
  16. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Exactly, shot over a stop sign incident, maybe it could have been good you got out of the car, especially after waiting for a few min. You honestly never know with this stuff we're seeing, the cop might have seen you as a threat waiting in the car, fortunately it didn't happen but as stated earlier you never know when the cops stop you (which one you're getting).

For example, I don't think they're all bad or trigger happy, and I'm sure the job is hard etc., but how do we know that when we get stopped it doesn't go wrong - ie bad cop that's trigger happy/not following basic protocol. I mean they justify their actions the same as us - "well we didn't know if they were armed or not", but on our end - we know they're armed. I'm almost wondering if non-violent crimes should just get a slide/mailed ticket, the interactions when you get stopped for doing 5 over the speed limit aren't even worth the reality that you might be shot for getting your license or insurance out wrong. I don't see California rolling a stop sign at your neighborhood as being a serious crime... Especially if it's not busy and you know the area. I mean the cop definitely ran your plates and knew it was your home.... I mean after waiting a few mins wth else were you supposed to do?

I think these bodycams are at least catching some of this trash behavior, but without them I'm sure the story would have been different in this latest murder, they'd make all kinds of **** up, and I'm glad that's at least becoming harder (hopefully).

#56 CCity Zero, Oct 16, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    Reeko likes this.
  17. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

So the houston one is a bit different but it's a cluster ****: https://www.click2houston.com/news/...cking-investigation-of-deadly-police-shooting

This was a completely botched /no knock raid, the couple returned fire (I guess, this is questionable with some of the evidence being released) but both are dead and didn't have any reason for being on the police radar - just a completely false report (ie not dealing drugs), completely botched. I think there are criminal trials going on for this against the cops but..... Yeah... So houston pd really wants this one to go away, some independent investigation done brings out even more botched issues. At first the police were parading around all excited, and then suddenly it was realized this was all done wrongfully. I want to say the couple lived in the house for 20 years and the guy was a navy vet of 20+. The independent investigation that's been released is making this look very bad for the police. And it probably will have the potential to open up previous convictions by these cops. This honestly looks straight out of a "Training Day" movie situation.

Here's one in Hutto (way north Austin) I think looks bad too : https://www.kxan.com/investigations...indicted-related-to-forceful-may-2018-arrest/ yeah the guy probably didn't help completely here but he also didn't deserve getting handled/tased (the cop claimed on his report he was assaulted by the perp... Uh no) . Here's how you know they screwed up, the cops/city already dropped all charges, I'm not sure the video here shows body cam and fortunately this man is alive (not shot) but when I saw it, it's just crazy how this was handled (I've seen the footage of people making it hard or pissing cops off in their car, especially when something wrong was done, but the guy doesn't appear to be doing much here, no crazy threat). And for what, some mar1juana (iirc the guy had nothing)??

Reeko likes this.
  18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The life ruined is rarely the cop's life

The problem with cops making excuses is .. . . .these are not excuses we would never accept from anyone else.

Putting you life on the line is part of the job.
    We would not accept a fireman refusing to go into the fire because he might not come home if he did .

Rocket River

CCity Zero likes this.
  19. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Agree with you on both

20. Sajan

Sajan Member

To be honest, I had no idea at first why he pulled into my driveway. I have grown accustomed to rolling through that stop sign for 20 years now. There's no traffic ever on that street. It's a dead end.

And after waiting a few minutes with the car on, I turned it off and go out because I was confused. I was like is he waiting for me? I had my phone, keys and wallet with me. He could have mistaken it for a weapon. Lesson learned. Just wait.

I have gotten pulled over before and I keep my mouth shut. I don't go "did i do something wronggggggggggggg?". I just wait for them to talk and ask me things. I don't become a smart ass. And I am not rude to them either but i realize people are pissed off or mad that they got pulled over and then take it out on the cops.

CCity Zero likes this.