1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] MDA plans to use Sefolosha at the 4

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Oct 15, 2019.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Now that Green is out, here's a reminder about Thabo ... which maybe was lost in China week. This is from Oct 4th

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rockets notes: James Harden getting in playing shape
    Jonathan Feigen Oct. 4, 2019

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...-James-Harden-getting-in-playing-14493907.php

Power plan for Sefolosha

Most of Thabo Sefolosha’s playing time in the Rockets’ second preseason game came at power forward. This was not an experiment. It is the plan.

A 6-foot-7 small forward through most of his 13-year career, Sefolosha will likely work as a backup power forward behind P.J. Tucker and possibly Danuel House Jr., depending on House’s playing time at small forward.

He’ll play a four,” Rockets coach Mike D’Antoni said. “If he plays, it will be (as) a four. We’ll have Danuel House and Gerald (Green). Three is pretty loaded with Eric (Gordon) and everybody else. That (power forward spot) will be Sefolosha’s spot.

“Thabo looked good. Just his energy and smartness, he played really well.”

Sefolosha, who made 40.7 percent of his 3-pointers the past two seasons with the Utah Jazz, took just one shot, a 3 that he missed. But he had four rebounds and a pair assists, including one on a nice pass to set up a Tyson Chandler dunk when he attacked a closeout.

Sefolosha’s shooting range is no longer the novelty at the power forward spot it once was with the Rockets in particular keeping a shooter at the position at all times. But if that takes away some of the advantage that once came when power forwards had to defend at the 3-point line, it does make the transition easier.

It’s just a matter of learning to play a different position,” Sefolosha said. “As the camp is going along, I’m feeling more and more comfortable with everything we’re trying to do offensively and defensively. I’m pretty comfortable at this spot.

“It seems like everybody knows that people can shoot. It’s four guys outside and one closer to the paint. I think I’m moving enough. I know teams like to switch. I’m picking my spots to offensive rebound, just take advantage of what the defense gives us.”​

2. JW86

JW86 Member

Right now, it’s likely to get Thabo some 3/4 time and House some 2/3 time.

jcf likes this.
  3. Mr. Space City

Hell yeah, more SF's turned into undersized 4's :cool:

4. topfive

topfive CF OG

The way D'Antoni works, I'm wondering if he's planning on using Clemons at center.

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

No surprise, this has been known for a while.

6. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

[D’Antoni]: ummmm it has its bright sides. Don’t make me do it!

7. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Love Thabo, but not exclusively at the four. This takes away some of the advantages he has against 2/3's....and leaves us wanting defensively and on the boards against certain matchups.I was afraid MDA might do this.We still need another 3/4/5 swingman. ( long w/defense&rebounding)

da_juice and slothy420 like this.
  8. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Why are we still surprised that we are playing one position down? That is our identity. That is our advantage.

da_juice, RudyTBag and Patience like this.
  9. Rochut

Rochut Member

Why stop there? Let’s go all-in and run Clemons at the 4...

pr0wler likes this.
  10. dmoneybangbang

At the 4.....? Booooooo

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Personally, it's not surprise, but dissapointment.

Cause playing down in size might be an advantage in the regular season, or against 80% of teams, but it becomes a disadvantage against most of the better teams. Because they can either do the same with better players and/or also have the ability to play an actual power forward sized power forward, who is versatile enough to guard SFs.

Playing down in size used to give you an advantage cause you had "bigs" that weren't good at guarding the perimeter. It became even more of an advantage as bigs further lost the ability to be big, and the three pointer became more important.

But along the way, bigs learned how to guard the perimeter effectively "enough" - certainly enough to guard one position down - while also adjusting their offensive games to once again become effective offensively.

Long-story short, a 6'7 power forward is just not going to be effective if the other team has a 6'10 power forward that can shoot, cut, dribble, move and defend as effectively as your 6'7 guy...

jboslett likes this.
  12. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Come on man, stretch 5 with handles! Would drive opposing centers mad!

I’m all for Thabo getting more minutes. Think he’s going to be important. Hope he’s able to play a little more than he has in recent memory.

topfive and BaselineFade like this.
  13. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

All your 6’7 PFs are belong to me!

14. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

The best basketball team that has ever graced the hardwood had a 6’6 center.

Skill beats size every day of the week and the Rockets have more skill than any other team in the league.

jiggyfly and hakeem94 like this.
  15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Which team?

16. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

When Thabo called for help when he was guarding the post during a preseason game, I left the chat. Luc, Harden, PJ, EG would never...

Junebball likes this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

Why is this surprising?

Why is everyone upset?

Thabo has a wingspan of like 7’2”-7’3” and defended PF’s almost half the time he was on the court last year.

He defends both SF and PF’s well and he isn’t a bad rebounder.

His issue isn’t WHERE he plays on the court, but HOW much he plays. He is 35-36 years old and similar to Nene in that he needs to be played for 10-15 minutes a night. Much more and he isn’t as effective and has a high risk of breaking down.

He should a 9th man on the Rockets getting a highly effective 15 minutes a night, but out of necessity, I fear they try to play him 20-25 minutes a night and he will break down.

18. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

It's sad that MDA will never be self-aware enough to win a championship. Playing this undersized just because you hope at some lucky point the 3s start falling to carry you to the promised land is an idiotic strategy. Rebounding gives you far more margin for error, which a lot of these stupid decisions eliminate.

Highlyrated likes this.
  19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Another year of poor rebounding.

20. Nook

Nook Member

Bill Russell 500 years ago in a league with like half a dozen teams... and Russell wasn’t as good as Wilt... but whatever.