1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nets and Lakers attack Morey in backroom meeting with Silver

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealAllpro, Oct 14, 2019.

1. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Have you ever been in a argument with someone and they seize the opportunity to bring up grievances unrelated to the point at hand?

That's what LeBron and other NBA players look like right now. They were furious because they believed if a player had tweeted this instead of a GM, costing the league millions of dollars, then there would have been serious repercussion from the NBA and Adam Silver.

Even LeBron's public relations representative Stephen A. Smith said, "this is a middle aged white man who went unpunished." That is the first thing that came to mind for many black athletes and black reporters. See if you've spent your entire career dealing with the power dynamic between black athletes and their white ownership and management, then of course you are going to flip out demanding something be done to management when it shoots the league in the foot.

Though, their grievances are genuine and the power dynamic and struggle is real, what LeBron and others failed to realize is the argument here was about freedom and human rights. The players' ranting and complaining about unrelated grievances that even their media savvy leader LeBron has a terrible time articulating publicly, was doomed to end in failure.

This is why you have the NBA Players' Association to address such grievances. However, since the NBA has chosen to make their athletes political figures by giving them social media platforms to speak about anything they want, this sort of thing was bound to happen where a superstar player publicly denounces management as being "misinformed and not educated."

gotsis and cur.ve like this.
  2. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Some of these diva's in the nba need to never act like they're tough in any way. In China concerned about their safety... ok lol.

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Usually you're ARE very calm whenever we respond to one another but your response to me seemed to be in line with your posts in other threads towards a certain group of posters that conveniently started popping up in here which I am certainly not try to troll or stir the pot. Nonetheless, if you're okay with it we can move on from that.

I guess I’m not following your assumption that Morey getting fired is a foregone conclusion. I guess if the team underperforms then Tilman has an out to fire Morey. Even then, however, it still reeks that the firing of Morey—one of the best GMs in the NBA—was due to his deleted tweet and not because of how the team performs. Firing Morey any time between now and next summer is bad PR—worse than Morey resigning.

As far as being blackballed by the league, didn’t we already go down this path/slant the past few years? Weren’t we at this junction when it was reported that Minnesota didn’t want to trade Butler to us? Or isn’t Miami out to screw us at every opportunity, whether it be stealing Butler from us, sabotaging a trade with Memphis, etc?

On the free agency front, aside from working with little to no cap room with an owner not wanting to spend, Morey and the organization is already behind the 8 ball. In addition to this, the additions that can be made to improve the team via free agency will be made with vets that don’t or no longer have any marketability in China. I don’t recall Luc Mbabane A Moute endorsing any Chinese products during his time here. I don’t think Austin Rivers have endorsements with Chinese companies and he seem perfectly fine with being on this team.

My point is Morey and the Rockets organization are already working from a difficult place because of where they are in the NBA hierarchy—they’re a very good team, coached by a very good coached and managed by a very good GM. Teams weren’t bending over backwards to help our championship cause and that’s not going to drastically change because of Morey’s tweet.

RichieBanks likes this.
  4. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Come on man - don't put words in my mouth. I don't think Tsai thinks he can make the Nets the unofficial team of China overnight but don't underestimate the opportunism of a billionaire - Tsai is wealthy for a reason and it isn't because he likes to help people out of tough political situations or to take a stand against Western Culture that he just invested 3.5 BILLION in. You also mentioned every Chinese with basic political awareness knows how troublesome that tweet is which is a curious statement given Twitter is blocked in China. Obviously people VPN around it which is also illegal but there is something a little twisted about that whole situation.

I am also VERY aware of similar PR missteps by other companies. I would argue the reason you perceive their apologies were accepted by 'the people as a whole' is because(as I linked to earlier) - this is really about a few very wealthy people being upset and not an actual entire country of Chinese citizens upset about some random organization stooge supporting Hong Kong on a platform they by and large can't monitor legally in the first place. As mentioned in that article, the argument that an entire country was offended is primarily a way to turn the issue into something it is not - Morey wasn't trying to wade into the complex sociological dynamics of the people in China and Hong Kong - this is about supporting peaceful protestors being physically beat up for their views. Obviously Morey's opinion is very much influenced by Western culture but its a point of view that is shared by probably most Americans - why the Chinese are singling out Morey and the Rockets for a view shared by most Americans they do business with is hypocritical.

5. Miracle

Miracle Member

I had more explanations in another post, which answers some of your questions.

The wording in other apologies was closer to what most Chinese were taught during their education. The statements more or less aligned with the core values of Chinese. This post provides another example of how the apology could be worded to get back the support of Chinese fans.

Also, I don't think it is "a few very wealthy people being upset", but instead government officials feeling necessary to take actions.

By the way, at the time when Morey sent the tweet, the protesters were already throwing petrol bombs towards police and destructing the entire city. "Supporting peaceful protestors being physically beat up for their views" did not stand at that point (it would stand a few months ago).

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Bad financially to be correct.

But still , morally the correct opinion.

The league / players cant have their cake and eat it too - if you are going to speak out on human rights / social justice , you cant slam the door shut when there are negative consequences for your position.

You have to be consistent.

Nook and Manos like this.
  7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Just my opinion , take it for what its worth from a fiscal conservative , social liberal , independent minority voter (Native American) -

The backlash wouldn't come from just the left …. they aren't the only one's who care about human rights.
    Neither side of the American political spectrum believes in what the Chinese are attempting to do to those in Hong Kong.

It would be a sh!tstorm from everyone who was paying attention - Left , Right and Center.

As for Trump supporters viewing the NBA …. Sports are supposed to transcend race , religion and politics.

8. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Silver shouldn't have messed with Morey ….

Silver cost the league a 10-15% decrease of its cap next year screwing with Morey's Nene Contract.

9. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

The more I read this, the more it sounds like LeBron was trying to have a backdoor meeting with Silver, but Adam was having none of it.

Nook likes this.
  10. Miracle

Miracle Member

LeBron already had meetings with Silver when he was in China.

11. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

i'm getting less excited about this season every day

12. Rocketsfan3422

Key to it all. Silver is on the freedom of speech side. Didn't get into it with players talking trash about Trump...and he's not a hypocrite and going to attack Morey. Silver is bad ass

13. Pizza_Da_Hut

I don't think you got my post. It's a double entendre.

14. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

The reason Morey still has his job is the same reason Lebron still is an NBA player: they can both help their teams win more than almost every other human in their shoes could.

Can you imagine if Morey had the chance to draft high and put together a team from the ground up? He's never had the chance in 15+ years. The Rockets are keeping him because Harden and Westbrook will be good for another 3 years max, and in the rubble of their expensive deals we will need a guy like Morey to guide us back to contention. May it be a fast and successful rebuild. If the Rockets were to fire Morey he would be scooped up by an inferior team within months. All these other critics asking for his head are just secret fans for other teams. Or Chinese sleeper cells.

Long live freedom and the opportunity afforded in America for the cream to rise to the top.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Daryl Morey Was Targeted By Coordinated Pro-China Troll Accounts

Daryl Morey is believed to have been targeted in a coordinated harassment campaign following his Tweet showing support for Hong Kong.

Morey's account was flooded with comments from pro-Chinese-government accounts that mentioned him more than 16,000 times, according to an analysis by Ben Nimmo, senior fellow at the Atlantic Council’s Digital Forensic Research Lab.

“It looks like there were humans at the keyboard for many of these posts,” Nimmo said. “This wasn’t primarily a bot swarm. It was a troll mob. Which is a lot harder to deal with.”

The study shows 22% came from accounts with 0 followers at some point last week and 50% were from accounts with fewer than 13 followers. There were 4,855 total users in all who had never tweeted until they replied to Morey, and 3,677 accounts didn’t exist until his Tweet.

“I’m not saying this is a state-affiliated operation,” Linvill said. “But I’ve only seen so many brand-new accounts used at one time when it was a state-affiliated operation.”

Morey deleted his tweet in less than an hour.

16. Pizza_Da_Hut

No... That can't be... You're lying... There's no way that could happen...

Personally, I want to see the Chinese bots take on the Russian bots in a fight to the death.

pantherheat1022 and Nook like this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

If they do this to a general manager thousands of miles away....... just imagine what they do to their own citizens.

Pizza_Da_Hut likes this.
  18. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

In China, troll farm employees call this a typical Friday. Generally low volume, low consequence busywork. PC load letter?!

Nook and Pizza_Da_Hut like this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

I keep reading this in mainland news sources (which is basically just what the CCP is putting out there) and from mainland Chinese.

So? You have an oppressive government attempting to crush basic human rights. What do you think IS going to happen? Further, I don't want to hear about the CCP not beating up "peaceful protestors"...... 30 years ago this same government rolled out 200,000 soldiers, barred all non CCP media and then slaughtered 10,000 of their own citizens that were peacefully protesting.

Further, Jimmy Sham just had his face caved in by hammers...... and there have been nearly a dozen other prominent pro democracy leaders that have been attacked or are missing in less than 6 weeks.

Beijing is on the wrong side of history they have to resort to "protests are destroying Hong Kong" or "US has vile plan to destroy Hong Kong".

Everyone sees what is happening. mainland China wants to absorb Hong Kong, take away all their rights and liberties and enforce they same draconian rules that mainland China has, because it is the only way to break the backs of those who have experienced freedom.