1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros vs. Yankees ALCS

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Wed- rain out
    Gm 4- bullpen
    Gm 5- greinke
    Gm 6- verlander(if necessary)
    Gm 7- cole (if necessary)

This is our best bet

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its the exact same situation they were in in 2017... and yes, I think our pitchers fair better in home games (regardless of the situation) vs. road games.

You don't necessarily win the series any faster when its 2-2 and pitching Verlander in game 5 and the bullpen in game 6 vs. the other way around.... and you certainly could lose the series faster if you don't win game 5 regardless of who's pitching.

Yes, its the worst-case scenario view-point and optimizing the pitching matchup in any possible elimination game. Thanks to today's win, the Astros can only be eliminated in a game 6 or 7. There's a much higher chance of that happening if there's a bullpen game 6.

I would love for them to just win the last 2 in NY and put all of this to bed. Pull the same pseudo-sweep the Red Sox did last year. Their best chance for that would be a rain-out tomorrow, win with Grienke and then win with Verlander.

#3882 Nick, Oct 15, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    everyday eddie likes this.
  3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

- No Germán
    - No Stanton
    - No Betances
    - Severino limited
    - Astros nearly full-health

We should win in 5, maybe 6.

Rock Block likes this.
  4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Greinke is pitching on Thursday without question.

kaleidosky, lw17 and Fullcourt like this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

Everyone loves you.

6. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Do you even talk baseball on here?

7. CrazyJoeDavola

Well see. None of us know what Hinch is thinking.

8. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

For sure. But Greinke has been slated for Thursday since game 1. He has the same pedigree as Verlander and Cole. You keep him in his routine and pitch him when he expects to pitch. You don’t go to him tomorrow and say, we’re going to move you back if it rains. Especially when there’s no advantage in doing so.

Fullcourt likes this.
  9. Elienator

Elienator Member

OK, but they still only have to beat one of them right now. There are potentially 4 games left and Cole and Verlander will only start 2 of those. The Yankees can win 3 of those 4 while only beating one of Cole and Verlander. If the Astros win another game not started by one of them, then they would need to beat both Cole and Verlander.

10. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

You have to avoid game 7 if possible. So I think if game 4 is delayed we go grienke, Verlander and Cole for 4--5-6 and hope to win 2. Keep grienke on a short leash

11. Jeremy Williams

Think of it this way--we only have to win one game out of three with Urquidy/Peacock, Greinke and Verlander (at home) going in order to get Cole in game 7 (at home). This is an ideal situation.

raining threes and sammy like this.
  12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Ok, I see what you're saying... going with the scenario of the Yankees winning 3 in a row.

13. vonbock

vonbock Member

Didn't Verlander beat the Red Sox in game 1 last year?

14. CrazyJoeDavola

The advantage would be having Greinke for a Game 6 instead of Urquidy. I mean Hinch had no faith in Urquidy for a non-elimination Game 4 of the ALDS. I would think there is even less faith for a potential elimination Game 6 of the ALCS.

If Hinch has no issues pitching Verlander on 3 days rest, then I dont think he would have an issue pushing Greinke back to 5 days rest. I just think you cant ask for a better scenario than your 3 aces pitching 5 6 and 7.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  15. Jeremy Williams

No way we pitch Cole on short rest unless we are down 2-3.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Why would you avoid a game 7, with Cole on full rest, if possible?

Did we not just go through this?

kaleidosky and sammy like this.
  17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

You are way overthinking this.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

In that case, just keep the order as is regardless of rain delay.

sammy likes this.
  19. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Agree completely. Punt game 4 essentially with them throwing Tanaka and hope you get a Brandon Backe type gem from the kid, but if not no big deal, because you are tied 2-2, have 2/3 at home and now have the pitching advantage in all 3 remaining games. So, if you go Uriquidy in game 4 after the rain out you have advantage in 3/4 games (and you only need to win 2).
    If you go Greinke, JV, Bullpen and Cole you only have the pitching advantage in 2 out of 4. It’s a pretty easy call in my mind and I agree with you 100%. I imagine this is an extreme minority opinion on here.

Handles and AkeemTheDreem86 like this.
  20. CrazyJoeDavola

I can see this too. Greinke/Verlander or Verlander/Greinke. I just feel pretty confident that the Astros are going to want to get the Urquidy/bullpen game out of the way ASAP while the stakes are the lowest and while the bullpen is rested (even more rested after a rainout).

AkeemTheDreem86 likes this.