1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros vs. Yankees ALCS

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 12, 2019.

1. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Cole on short rest followed by a bullpen game 7..all because we pitched Verlander in a game that wasn't a close out game

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

So now you've compounded one bad situation... and made it worse.

Cole has NEVER pitched on short rest in his career, not even a bullpen appearance like JV had done before.

I'd say the Astros have a better chance of winning the series, if down 3-2, by pitching Verlander and Cole.... vs. going to Cole on short rest, and then Santa Clause for game 7?

Nick_713 and mikol13 like this.
  3. AstrosRockets1818

Jesus y’all are clueless. If it’s 2-2 and Verlander is on normal rest he is ****ing pitching. Do you really think Hinch is gonna okay Bullpen go get them and increase our chances of coming home most likely down
    3-2? **** no.

Elienator likes this.
  4. Major

Major Member

In this scenario, there's no reason to pitch Cole in game 6. You're going to have to win both games regardless, and one is going to be a bullpen game since neither Greinke or Verlander will be available, so you might as well give yourself the better version of Cole in one of them. Your options are:

Short Rest Cole and Bullpen Game
    Bullpen Game and Regular Cole

If you have to win both, you go with the latter every time.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  5. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Yeah your pretentious yet clunky post sniping is so much fun day in and day out. You really aren’t needed for that role.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The bottom line is that there's only one way the Yankees are beating the Astros in this series... and its that they have to beat Verlander and Cole.

If they pitch Verlander in game 5 when the series is 2-2 and the Yankees happen to win (which isn't impossible... Verlander hasn't won a road playoff start as an Astro), and then you decide to pitch Cole in game 6 on short rest, that's pretty much the pathway for how the Yankees get there.

everyday eddie and CheezeyBoy22 like this.
  7. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I'm hearing conflicting things. If it rains and the game is rescheduled, is that ultimately better for Astros or the Yankees?

8. Sajan

Sajan Member

If you are watching at home and you have true 5.1 surround, do this on your receiver:
    Left and right front channel: turn all the way up
    Center channel: all the way down

This takes out the announcers to almost non existent level. These announcers add nothing to the game now. Just talking for the sake of talking.

SemisolidSnake likes this.
  9. AstrosRockets1818

So if game 6 is an elimination game Hinch is going with the pen over Cole on short rest? Please tell me you’re joking with me. Please?

no **** you have to win 2 games at that point. But you have to win the first one no matter what

10. conquistador#11

Y'all making my head spin. How about just win the next 2 games.

11. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Conversation with the wife
    Me:Yankees fans are throwing **** onto the field.
    Her: what kind? dog? human?
    Me: No, debris, not actual ****.
    Her: They are Yankees fans. Seemed reasonable that they would throw actual ****.

#3852 Joe Joe, Oct 15, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    Jake Tower, SLRokJok, red and 5 others like this.
  13. AstrosRockets1818

Game 3 was huge.

jcf, lw17 and desihooper like this.
  14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Thus why you consider holding Verlander back if the series is 2-2.

Verlander can lose a game 5 at Yankee Stadium. His road playoff starts for the Astros were games 2, 6 against LA and the short rest game 4 against Tampa, he did not qualify for any wins. Meanwhile, he's already proven he can win a game 6 at home against the Yankees being down 3-2.

15. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

I feel good about game 4. We are in their heads now and we still haven’t started to hit yet.

Astros win tomorrow. Astros win the series in 6.

everyday eddie, jcf and RKREBORN like this.
  16. SemisolidSnake

Yeah, good call. I forgot that they're on a specific channel. That's a great idea for people that have the option.

17. Anticope

Anticope Member

I agree with most of this but I think if you go up 3-1 that's when you'd want to pitch Urquidy and have the bullpen game. Worst case in that scenario is games 6 and 7 at home with Verlander and Cole needing just one win.

tmoney1101 and AstrosRockets1818 like this.
  18. Major

Major Member

Yes, absolutely - because game 7 is an elimination game too. If you can't win game 6 with your bullpen, you can't win 7 so all you did was make your life harder by getting 75% Cole. The Astros understand math, and math says the best way to win 2 games is get 7-8 elite innings out of Cole and piece together the rest. The best way to do that is if you pitch him on regular rest.

The Astros' goal is NOT to maximize their chances of winning game 6. It's to maximize their chances of winning both games - even if that means reducing your chances of winning game 6.

19. CrazyJoeDavola

Here's my scenario:

Wed - rainout
    Thus - Bullpen
    Fri - Verlander
    Sat - Greinke
    Sun - Cole

Here, you have your 3 studs (well, 2.5 maybe) going up 3-1 (assuming we win Game 4) or worst case tied 2-2 (if we lose Game 4).

I like Verlander going to either clinch the series or put us up 3-2 coming back to Houston, needing Greinke or Cole to win 1 at home. Game 5 is the key game for us IMO.

I also like getting Urquidy's start out of the way ASAP to avoid having him pitch in a high pressure game 6 or 7 (I have recurring nightmares about Pete Munro in Game 6 circa 2004). If he bombs Game 4, we are still in good shape.

desihooper and Wulaw Horn like this.
  20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It's possible... but then again at that point, the Yankees would have now lost 3 in a row and any possible easing up of your pitching matchup could possibly give them new life.

If the Astros go up 3-1, I would pitch Verlander in game 5.... but either way, I don't see the Yankees beating the Astros 3 games in a row with both Verlander and Cole pitching 2 of them.