1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nets and Lakers attack Morey in backroom meeting with Silver

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealAllpro, Oct 14, 2019.

1. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Not a doubt in my mind Adam Silver bends over backwards to appease LeBron with this. Morey isn't just getting a slap on the wrist when the Golden Boy is mad at him.

malakas likes this.
  2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Lol, no it doesn't matter. I'm just saying by the definition of the word apology, DM's "apology" tweet was, indeed, an apology. Just not a good one ;)

I don't think ANYONE would hire him anytime soon. Nor should they. Regardless of your principals, the NBA is a business, China brings in revenue...

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

That's all fair and you're right that in any other workplace Morey would have been canned a long time ago. For better or worse, however, Morey works for an organization that really don't operate the same way as other Fortune 500 companies. In a way, he's one of the main reasons why this franchise cost Tilman $2+ billion dollars with Ballmer's $2 billion purchase of the Clippers being THE main reason. He was hired and made/lucked into moves that has placed Houston in the top 1 or 2 tiers for the past, what, decade now? Without him, I highly doubt this franchise would have done better than what it has over the past 10 years and without the success this team has achieved, the valuation of the franchise wouldn't have been sky high.

The concern about him doing his job well after this shitstorm is actually not a concern for me in the short term, with short term being the duration of his contract (5 years). Right now, we have Harden, Westbrook, Gordon and Capela locked up until 2022/2023 (with Gordon one year after that). That's also basically our championship window right? So we really don't have the necessary capspace to be players in free agency any time soon either. Sure you might whiff out on free agents at the MLE or LLE market but we've already done that the past few years. On the flip side of that, however, is that players at that mid or vet min level really don't have the extra endorsements/incentives from China to worry about--they are just wanting a contract and playing time. Could the collective agency community blackball Morey (ergo the Rockets) because of this? Sure they can but they've effectively cut out one less team that could have signed their players in a profession that have very limited openings just because of a tweet?

Also, if this season goes well and the Rockets make it to the Finals, whose to say that wouldn't cause our former Chinese sponsors to come back to us and say the past is in the past? Winning is everything in the NBA and our team with the wide open West this year can win it all. Morey isn't going to resign when he knows that this team can win a championship because I would think Morey would want to be there for it.

Basically my tl;dr is this: I'm not afraid of teams/agents/players shunning the Rockets in the short term (e.g. the 5 years left on Morey's contract) because we have our core already set. Harden, Westbrook, Capela and Gordon aren't going anywhere anytime soon either because they're untouchable or untradeable. Once those guys are gone in the summer of 2023 and the world is still out to get Morey then yea I can see a need to part ways. But right now, it is still too premature for Morey to resign or for Tilman to buy him out.

joshuaao likes this.
  4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Nobody is gonna care about this when players look at Houston.

It's about money, winning and playing time.

Do you really think this is gonna have any bearing on player trades?

Really?

5. JayZ750

I get your point, but I think now more than ever shrewd GM'ing is required.

That they're locked into Harden/Westbrook for 5 more years, and have so little "wiggle room" because of that, means DM or whomever the GM is, has an incredibly hard job of how to surround those guys with the right role players.

For example, without question, the Rockets need help at the forward positions. Principally power forward, but either forward. If for whatever reason - team owner, player agents, the NBA doing whatever crap they do behind the scenes - this China fiasco negatively impacts the GM's ability to take the crap that is tradeable and turn it into something that is helpful... that's a HUGE impact on the end goal. And you can be damn sure Harden, Westbrook, Tilman, and fans would be rightly pissed when the individual and organization legacy is so impacted.

Look, I'm not saying DM is a bad GM. To the contrary, your points are spot on. I'm just talking about going forward. And going forward, the China-stain on DM absolutely will impact the moves to come, one way or another.

malakas likes this.
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You have no idea how this will effect the bottom line of the NBA and by looks of it China is already backing down.

I agree that in a regular job Morey would be fired and rightfully so considering the dynamics of social media right now.

But I disagree that this will have any bearing on his job performance this year or any other, nobody is not going to make a trade just because of this China incident.

7. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

EXACTLY!! he called the president (all political views aside) of the USA a bum, you cant tell me that there were not people in the pro trump camp that did not boycott NBA as a result

BigShasta likes this.
  8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Anyone else read this thread as "Nets and Lakers attack Morey in bathroom meeting with Silver?"

lulz

BigShasta, malakas and Deuce like this.
  9. JayZ750

It will absolutely effect the job. Again it’s not just other GMs. It’s the players themselves. It’s their agents. Etc.

He already has multiple people really mad at him and asking why he isn’t being punished.

malakas likes this.
  10. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I mean, if I'm a guy who had an Anta sponsorship and lost it, I don't know that I'll be benevolent and say "well hey, it was lost supporting freedom and democracy". I'll probably instantly blame DM and that's that. If I'm an agent of that player, the ramifications could be even worse.

With that said, if that's what the NBA is about, money over activism, then let's market it that way, end the fallacy of goodwill and move forward. I have nothing against Silver saying this league is a group of whores who will do what's best for the money. You just can't lust for money and claim moral superiority as well.

malakas likes this.
  11. malakas

malakas Member

It's naive to think otherwise.
    We have had many stories so far of how this league works. It is based on the largest part on relationships.

When a GM is hated by most of the players agents and owners, and probably even the commisioner at this point then it's impossible to do his job sufficiently.

I mean I am sure that Morey could still do a Grunfeld level job but that's not real GMing that's being an idiot.

Pizza_Da_Hut likes this.
  12. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

The bolded part--that's how Morey has been operating since the Harden trade and especially moreso since the Paul trade. This scenario wouldn't be anything new if you removed the China equation out of it because 1. the NBA knows how Morey operates from a trade perspective 2. GMs, collectively, are smarter now than 10 years ago when Billy King and the Colangelos of the world were given GM jobs and 3. every GM is trying to take advantage of one another (see: Memphis, Iguodala). Basically Morey has had to live out your scenario over the past few years because of the success he's had, the hubris he might have exuded over the years, or both. Adding on this China fiasco really don't change much UNLESS the GMs around the league, collectively, blackball and don't pick up Morey's phone calls. Of course if that ever occurs that's a pretty strong case of collusion in favor of Tilman and the Rockets.

A scenario I COULD see playing out is Morey wants Player A on this team and can only acquire him via trade with Team 1. Team 1 gives him a list of demands in exchange for Player A and Morey agrees. Unfortunately, Player A tells Team 1 and Morey that he won't report for physicals or to the team because of other "obligations". Comes to find out said "obligations" include lucrative deals with companies in China. Now in that scenario, it wouldn't just be Morey that is negatively impacted. Both the Rockets and Team 1 are impacted because a deal can't get done and now, Player A, has more or less put himself in a scenario where he prioritizes not just any money--China money--over joining a championship-caliber team. But even in this scenario, there would be a collective agreement by Player A, Player A's agent that this is a sound decision, Player A's sponsors, etc.

Honestly, even without the China fiasco, I didn't mind moving on from Morey after Harden and Westbrook's time in Houston are done in a few years.

13. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If other GMs lose salary cap space and players lose potential contract value and the league loses market value due to the CCP hissy fit over Morey commenting on Hong Kong, then I just don't see the league dealing with Morey without trying to punish him or the Rockets. Maybe overpay a player or GM here or there, but no goodwill points going forward.

malakas likes this.
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Why would the vast majority of players care about what Morey said?

Who are these multiple people?

Would they bypass a chance to better their teams or themselves because of this tweet?

Come on son.

15. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

He was clearly advocating for basic human rights in general and did not favor or suggest for mainland China or Hong Kong. In what world do we live in if that was an opinion that couldn't be ignored? He clearly didn't do anything wrong...

malakas likes this.
  16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Do you really know if Morey is hated by most players, agents and owners?

Teams and players will not go against their best interest just to stick it to Morey.

This will all be an afterthought by the playoffs if not Dec.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

How's it feel to have your cucked post liked by two chinese plants?

malakas likes this.
  18. malakas

malakas Member

Colangelo has been give a GM job more recently than 10 years ago. Still plenty of idiotic GMs and POBOs around. Heck Magic Johnson was in charge of the Lakers till recently!
    Grunfeld just finally got rid of. The Suns are no different than having an actual goat making their decisions. etc etc

But this is really the only scenario you can think of?
    How about the team that is looking for a trade doesn't even call Morey? How about they turn down all discussions?
    How about the whole agencies from the biggest star to the smallest scrub blacklist us? It will not be the first time this happens in the league!
    Agents have blacklisted other teams because of their GMs, and those GMs didn't cause an international incident.

19. CHI

CHI Contributing Member

20. malakas

malakas Member

Do not underestimate the influence that Lebron James has in this league. And do you REALLy believe that he is the only one with that mindset?
    He afterall is already a billionaire how about young players or scrubs who are also losing money if the cap goes down? You think they love Morey?
    I am sure that there are some people also in the league who understand and support him. I will not put everyone in the same basket.