1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros vs. Yankees ALCS

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 12, 2019.

1. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

[​IMG]

SemisolidSnake likes this.
  2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

The 2-3-2 format really favors the home team IMO. Even with the Game 1 loss, all we have to do is win 1 of the next 3 and we're coming back home for the rest of the series.

I actually HATE the 2-3-2 format overall....but I like it here!

When the Rockets beat the knicks, we split the 1st 2 games at home and then lost 2 of 3 at MSG...then we all know what happened next.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

yuli has gotten contact on the ball. just unlucky on line drives

whiskeyred likes this.
  4. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

Yeah I feel Yuli has been making solid contact, just right to Yankee gloves

5. astros123

astros123 Member

This isnt about Yuli not hitting, this is giving Bregman protection with Correa behind him. Lets hope Yuli comes through solid today but I just dont like leaving the hot hitter at the bottom of the lineup.

6. AkeemTheDreem86

Agree 100%.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

why wouldn't it be? Yuli is getting contact, there's protection there. lets see what correa does today and then we'll see how "hot" he is. he was great last game but remember he has 12 so's thus far for the co lead on the team

snowconeman22 likes this.
  8. Handles

Handles Member

Correa has struck out in nearly half his at bats this postseason (44.4%). Can't have that strikeout rate behind Bregman. Correa had clutch hits last game, but that's been his only decent hitting game so far. Can't forget he struck out twice too.

Gurriel hasn't struck out once this postseason. He's making solid contact, just unlucky on some liners right to Yankees fielders. I honestly believe Gurriel's hitting better right now. Stats are misleading if you just look at last game. Over postseason Gurriel has been more consistent and putting the ball in play way more.

I agree with AJ's move. Gotta go with consistency. If Correa keeps it up he will move up too.

jim1961 likes this.
  9. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I didn't understand why the Yankees pitched to Correa when he hit the RBI double Sunday in the 2nd. Two on one out with Chirinos and Marisnick coming up? I'm walking Correa there if I'm Boone and making Chirinos or Marisnick come through, not Correa.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

you're walking the so leader for the team?

11. astros123

astros123 Member

i find it crazy that Astros tickets are just about the same price as those of Yankees tickets. The suite, dugout, and bleacher tickets are about the same. Average suite price for game 2 was about 285 and its about the same for the Yankees.

Its crazy that we pay some of the highest prices in the league for a so called "medium size market." Houston is an underrated sports city when it comes to $$$. **** New york.

Plowman likes this.
  12. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Yes, I'd set up a double play for Chirinos' at bat and make him or Marisnick show something at the plate.

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Extremely rare for any manager to intentionally walk a guy in the second inning with a runner on first and one out.

YOLO likes this.
  14. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Then there should be plenty of money for Cole's contract.

Houstunna likes this.
  15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I always love the "protection" discussion. Having a great hitter behind you doesn't protect you. It means the pitcher tries harder to get you out. Having great hitters bat together is beneficial because the guy behind gets more opportunities with men on base, has a pitcher in the stretch, and the defense can't shift as easily. As long as the drop off isn't from Bregman to Verlander, walks are beneficial. If you want to protect Alvarez, put him in front of Reddick, and pitchers won't try as hard to strike him out.

There is a reason the Astros didn't intentionally walk anyone this year.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The point of the protection argument is that the hitter being protected should see more strikes because the pitcher is trying to get him out.

kaleidosky, astros123 and Handles like this.
  18. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

This season, attendance went down while ticket prices went up.

Net win for Crane because he made more money.

19. Handles

Handles Member

Protecting isn't really the right word. More like giving them a real chance to hit. For example, if Reddick were behind Bregman, pitchers would paint the corners on Bregman. He wouldn't get a good pitch to hit without a pitcher mistake. If you end up walking him who cares? Reddick will get out much more easily. Compare that to putting a real hitter behind Bregman. They have to pitch Bregman and walks are potentially much more harmful. You might be setting up the next hitter with an RBI if you have a threat following Breg.

kaleidosky likes this.
  20. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The likelihood is greater that you will get a pitch to hit...probably a fastball.

kaleidosky likes this.