1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tipping

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Roscoe Arbuckle, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Wrong! Tipping used to be 15%, 18% if the service was great. Then it turned to 18%, 20% if great. Now you're telling me to tip 20%, and more if its great.

There is a trend, regardless which way one wants to spin it. If people want to stop tipping for bad service, then place the burden back on the employers, not the customer. Stop rewarding poor service and the servers will be forced out of the business. If the businesses can't find enough wait staff, then they will be forced to pay talented waiters more.

BigM, likestohypeguy and Rocket River like this.
  2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Why not simply increase the prices 20% and leave me alone?

It's like gas being 1.99 and 9/10
    People can psychologically that they not paying 2$ for gas . . . . . .LMAO

Rocket River

3. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Tipping? Pitch Tipping is a very generous thing to do to help your opponent.

Oh, tipping at restaurants or service? Well, depends on the service.

4. likestohypeguy

I almost always tip at least 20% unless something has gone very wrong and the server is blatantly disinterested or oblivious; but I'll be damned If I have to (tip as much purely out of selfish interests- so I can return to said restaurant and have a better chance of continued good service and least amount of bodily fluids in my food)- business between the restaurant and their employees is their business. Let the employer feel the guilt and pay them more.

Now if they're being an outright dick, and I have to, that's a permanent boycott. Will never return to a restaurant where I've stiffed a server.

#104 likestohypeguy, Oct 14, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I do 15 to 25%. I hate tipping, I always will. I would be alright by just being charged accordingly.

6. Roscoe Arbuckle

If you're fine being charged extra, why would you have a problem with tipping? Most people know the rules and these people took the job because tipping makes it a nice living wage.

7. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Because I want to just be charged accordingly and not think about it. That's why.

BleedsRocketRed and Rocket River like this.
  8. Roscoe Arbuckle

In what world does this require thinking?

9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

It's literally an extra step. It doesn't take much thought but it also isn't necessary, so why not eliminate it?

BleedsRocketRed likes this.
  10. Roscoe Arbuckle

Because some of us are more generous than others. I get the sneaky suspicion that people who want to get rid of tipping are just cheap bastards.

Nook likes this.
  11. rhino17

rhino17 Member

If it was factored into the pricing of the meal, everyone could be so generous

12. Roscoe Arbuckle

I'm not sure you're clear on the concept of a "service industry."

Nook likes this.
  13. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Works fine in Europe

14. Roscoe Arbuckle

I've lived in Europe, and the service there is completely different. You obviously haven't been.

15. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Lol. You think you sound like a big shot or something? I've been to Europe many times

I just realized this is an old thread and I had already posted my feeling on page 1

16. Roscoe Arbuckle

You don't prefer the service. You prefer not tipping.

17. Nook

Nook Member

Ehh service in Europe in general is far worse.

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You and a buddy go to a restaurant. You order a $30 meal, your buddy a $15 meal. Y'all get the exact same good, friendly service. Y'all decide on a 20% tip. You pay $6, your buddy $3. Fair?

19. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Its not worse, its different. Like I said, different cultures. They think service here is bizarre

20. Roscoe Arbuckle

Nope. It's worse. They have zero incentive to do anything better. Look. If you like a cashier at a Burger King, that is up to you. I prefer concierge type service and tipping allows incentives to do better for their patrons.

And before you try to whine about this again, I run a business that is 100% commission. There is nothing wrong with earning what you make based on your service.