1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I have a bitter taste in my mouth [harden, lebron--all these guys]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LosPollosHermanos, Oct 14, 2019.

1. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Lol. How is Harden hypocritical? He's basically just a extension of the organization. Athletes have always got ridiculed for taking unpopular political stances, and ppl like you are quick to criticize them. But when a so called "genius" GM does it, the criticism goes off the GM and back to the athlete. It's a no win situation for today's athletes

hashmander likes this.
  2. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Morey most def could be doing a lot of other jobs.

But what said jobs is as great as being an nba GM and making Millions a year doing it?

I don’t doubt Morey could maybe find similar pay although I’m not super sure on that but I don’t think anything would be as exciting as constructing an NBA team while also crunching number which is what Morey really likes to do. He’s a mathematician at the end of the day.

ilias likes this.
  3. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

At least Harden back tracked and supported Morey he can be forgiven in my eyes

4. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

You seem to be very well versed and passionate regarding the the abuses going on in China. I don't have a problem with your position because you seem like you are being real about it.

Most of this is fake outrage. If LeBron, Pop or Kerr had spoken up in support of the NRA or if they spoke out against BLM or any other issues that are deemed liberal you wouldn't here a peep right now. It's not that they speak about politics, it's the side of the issues that they have chosen to speak about that have caused all of this so called outrage.

Do you think they would be asked to shut up and dribble or coach by these same critics if they were pro-Trump?

The answer is hell no.

hashmander and slothy420 like this.
  5. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Lol

That is a woke athlete actually I feel that.

6. malakas

malakas Member

Pop and Kerr maybe not but Lebron WOULD.

I don't think that any sides of american politics is supporting what goes on in China in regards to human rights violations and suppression of basic freedoms and democracy.
    And Lebron attacked the freedom of speech clearly with his own words.

However keep in mind, that the NBA itself has for many years now methodically cultivated and promoted a liberal image.
    As a result it has also attracted many fans who share those morals and ideas.
    I for one wouldn't be watching the NBA if the league was like anti abortion or pro NRA.
    There are other bball leagues elsewhere.

So the league has had it coming.
    If they wanted to be all about the money they shouldn't have been moving the ASG over a bathroom law!

Patience and BaselineFade like this.
  7. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

This is sad to watch as a lifelong basketball fan and as a proponent of human rights and general decency in the world.

The NBA carefully crafted its image around certain ideals and thought it could have its cake and eat it too. Now, that perception is being publicly shattered and the true character of these otherwise good-intentioned athletes is being put to the test.

Yes, they do extraordinary things with charitable contributions and help their communities for which they must be given credit for their overall positive impact. That's why I'm saddened by all of this. There is no victory for anyone in this debacle.

However, social justice is the hill upon which the NBA made its stand long ago in Charlotte and now that's where it may have to die as a platform of social change. The league has no leg to stand on in the future in regards to political and social issues.

The bigger culprit in all of this is social media and how the league championed its athletes to use it to get closer to the fans. Now, those athletes have become outspoken public figures in all sorts of political and social issues except for the big one right now hurting the NBA's pockets.

Perhaps the NBA should have stayed in the era where social activism was done with a simple "NBA Cares" campaign showing athletes doing good in their communities. Granting every athlete a platform to speak in the public microphone is going to lead more situations where the league's biggest superstar calls an MIT graduate, "misinformed and not educated on the situation." Again, there is no winning in this situation.

Finally, as for anyone who believes these athletes deserve a free pass to continue their duplicity, then let me remind you that not long ago there was a time when athletes risked life and blood to stand up for their beliefs. Muhammed Ali went to prison for his beliefs. So don't tell me Harden or LeBron can't risk taking a pay cut in China to stand up for human rights and decent treatment of people. History will not be kind to them. Like I said, there are no winners in this matter.

payaso, malakas, daywalker02 and 2 others like this.
  8. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Let’s be clear, Harden threw morey under the bus with that

malakas likes this.
  9. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

No, put yourself in his shoes. Present yourself with a situation where you can either (i) be quiet; or (ii) Give up your career, move your family, and put yourself back in the job market at that age and with that on your resume.

Moreys subsequent tweet showed that his original tweet was not something deeply premeditated. It was just something he felt like tweeting because he has some friends there and probably agrees with the HK protesters. It’s not something he would turn his life upside down for, IMO.

10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

B
    He was actually trying to save Morey’s job...

11. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

I'm confused. can you quote all the exact words Harden said regarding this China debacle and which were blatantly disrespectful towards Morey???

BaselineFade likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is a tricky matter if the other side has been fed or as you said 'brainwashed' for at least 30 or 40 years that you cannot say a word against China.

It's a no go.....there is the line to not cross.

For China, they are afraid of those words against 'One united China', any words.

So the population has become too sensitive as well.

Probably you would understand that it if you changed the angle.

And Morey would have not tweeted that, if he really understood/knew that 1 billion were getting mad about it.

#32 daywalker02, Oct 15, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  13. malakas

malakas Member

Sure.
    "WE are sorry China"
    Not his place and not his right to speak FOR Morey.
    Morey made his own apology non apology and made clear his stance himself.

14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

In harden's defense he's never pretended to be any thing but a basketball player. His sole concerns in life are to get buckets, cash checks and f**k thots. He basically apologized without knowing what he was apologizing for, and then backtracked to a more centrist stance when he was told to backtrack.

LeBron on the other hand. That spinleless POS has built his whole platform on being "more than an athlete", so for him to turn around and throw all ethics out the window in defense of the bottom line is as low as you can get. And he had a lot of time to think this out and this was what he came with.

If LeBron would have spoken out on China it would have sent shockwaves throughout the entertainment industry. Had he just said nothing he likely would have maintained the status quo. Instead he went full on commie fellation when his bank account came into play.

Seriously f**k him. I was never a fan, but I've more or less respected the way he has carried himself. That is all out the window now.

15. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Liberty is not free and these guys are picking profit.

16. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am checking out this season. If the Chinese audience means more than the American audience maybe it’s time they rebrand and relocate. And stop playing the national anthem.

BruceAndre and malakas like this.
  17. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

At the end of the day it's about money for these athletes and making the most they can to set their next 4 to 5 generations of family up so they don't have to grind just to survive.

These dudes ain't "woke" like that and they don't have it in them or they don't value the stance of representing a deeper cause and fulfilling a higher purpose over just generally making as much money as they possibly can.

Not intentionally bashing them but few are meant to walk that narrow path of not being a sellout in action. Most would sell out.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

In terms of social justice, the athletes today are leagues better than Jordan.

MJ is the epitome of being "money friendly" and keeps all of his opinions inside a triple lock vault.

I don't expect NBA people to know everything that's going on in China.

When it takes at least a 12th grade vocabulary to parse out a two sheet press release that doesn't make either side throw shitfits, it's a pretty tough problem. Shoot, some of these folks haven't finished their college education, if they're planning to.

And yes, it's different than talking about BLM or gun violence because the people who have spoken up usually have at least one experience to anchor the message whereas the player's China experience has mostly been framed through business.

If we really want to talk about business, we could go into Child Labor in clothing or all the carbon emitted through travel, etc... Honestly, I don't know if that's necessary because the league was one of those things where I really didn't feel like I was forced to give a **** about these things.

What now?....NO ONE can talk about what they give a **** about or speak up about things without any credibility?

How about instead we try to give people enough slack to know if they're trying to make things around them better. Quit being outraged by words, while giving credit where good deeds did happen.

payaso likes this.
  19. malakas

malakas Member

It is over now.
    Morey doesn't have a future in the NBA when the players want him to be fired.
    He can either wait to get fired or resign himself.
    If I were him, I would at least keep my dignity and morals and go out with my own terms.

20. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

I still have hope that this blows over. But you may be right and that’s horrible.