1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Sleep Deprivation: "It's the dirty little secret that everybody knows about"

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Deuce, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

That’s what I’m talking about...you can tell the guys that have never really worked in this thread.

da_juice and Blurr#7 like this.
  2. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

Yeah man sleep deprived at the jw Marriott. Try third shift in a coal mines six days a week for forty years.

3. Nook

Nook Member

LOL At all the posters belittling basketball players travel schedules and sleep.

You walking to the moon each morning doesn’t mean that quality of sleep isn’t a serious problem for NBA players.

da_juice likes this.
  4. Newlin

Newlin Member

Maybe that's why they all smoke the weed.

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

You know what I'm not gonna take this bait.

#25 RedRedemption, Oct 14, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  6. rockets13champs

Can someone write an article of sleep deprivation in medical school. It’s prob worse than in the nba. I legit sleep 5-6 hours every night including weekends. And starring at my laptop almost all the times. My eyes are red af sometimes

7. rockets13champs

Prob just West coast to East coast. As an NBA player who prob sleeps around 2-3 am, I’m assuming if ur a Clipper or a laker and u go to Boston or NY to play ur gonna have a crazy adjustment in the east coast especially if u do morning tv interviews and off the court stuff like morning meetings with companies.

8. HTM

HTM Member

I remember milk hair having some quote about NBA players and “working hard” and basically mocking the idea by talking about how they weren’t outside laying bricks all day.

This thread reminded me of that quote.

I do find it funny when the media talks about pro athletes and “hard work” - like, dude, pro athletes work out and practice/play games. It’s what most people choose to do, and pay for the privilege, in their free time when they get home from real work. Spare me the “they work so hard” bs - hard work is something totally different in my world view.

9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

LOL " problem without a solution " , oh i dunno . go to sleep ?

You can take multiple naps.

viertelasiat likes this.
  10. Senator

Senator Member

You have to live a 24/7 athlete life if you want good sleep while you travel. If you drink smoke eat fried food / bad diet then yeah... you'll struggle without "perfect" conditions. THAT is the solution but some wld rather ignore it and be naive

snowconeman22 likes this.
  11. MONON

MONON Member

Those of us that post in a thread about sleep deprivation at 1 or 2 in the morning should be experts on the subject!!! :rolleyes:

12. csj

csj Member

No you're not. Anyone who thinks 3 hours is a "crazy adjustment" doesn't know what jet lag is.

And this was predicated on the assumption that the players stay up until 2 or 3 am. For millions a year, perhaps they could go to bed earlier if they need the sleep.

13. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

They stay in a city for at least 3 days. 162/3 = 54.

14. AKdaDawg

AKdaDawg Member

FALSE. Grant Cardone does.

15. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Not enough sleep because they are getting educated on the issues.

16. treyk3

treyk3 Member

sleep deprivation is a serious issue but in no way should be compared to concussions, even if the effects are are more serious.

the NBA has a tough schedule, but so do millions of Americans trying to feed a family while working multiple jobs. They also don't get three months off a year to do whatever they want. The NBA needs to fix the schedules but this take is weak and for attention.

Average people don't get tackled in the middle of the street multiple times a week suffering concussions.

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

That's why Harden goes to clubs. He can't get any sleep anyway.

18. rockets13champs

You really just erased my whole quote.... it’s not an assumption. If the game ends at 10-11. Then u gotta do interviews and post game treatments. That makes you leave around 12-1 am. You get home and u get maybe 1 hour or 2 with your wife and kids then u gotta come back next day for shoot around/ walk thrus

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Will never ever happen, but as a fan, I would absolutely love this. Games would become much more intense and important. But players and teams would have to just accept having less revenue, (for the health of all involved, and maybe for the ultimate popularity of the game).

da_juice, snowconeman22 and malakas like this.
  20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

What initially attracted me to the idea of 58 games was making the league fair and even.

58 games is playing every team twice, once at home, once away. Do away with east vs west, 1-16 playoff format.

Seems like a MUCH better setup to me then the current setup. 58 games also greatly reduced load on players bodies, will allow for more rest etc.

da_juice, malakas and B-Bob like this.