1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nets and Lakers attack Morey in backroom meeting with Silver

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealAllpro, Oct 14, 2019.

1. topfive

topfive CF OG

Shut up and draft an undersized PF, Morey!

Pizza_Da_Hut and glimmertwins like this.
  2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Per sources the players actually said:

"Shut up and Spreadsheet!"

napalm06 likes this.
  3. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Wow. I hope they can pay their rent.

4. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

F those players. This is not on Daryl.

D-rock and Richie_Rich like this.
  5. Reeko

Reeko Member

any player with a signature shoe deal or deal with Chinese companies like Anta won’t even think about coming here in the future

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2019/10/nbachina-notes-lakers-nets-rockets.html

Charania describes Silver as being “extremely thoughtful and transparent” in talks with Lakers and Nets players, coaches, and executives, while Nichols refers to the meeting as “tense.” Multiple sources tell Charania that LeBron James said he believed Silver and the NBA had a responsibility to talk to the media about the situation in more depth before asking the players to do so. Players also spoke about wanting to feel safe and protected during the China trip without being put into unfair positions, Charania notes.

“Being in China, where there was no way of knowing what the Chinese government was thinking or going to do next and the high stakes between the U.S. and China politically, it was almost impossible for these young players to manage through that situation,” a source with knowledge of the meeting told Charania. “Obviously, if they were in the United States or somewhere else, it would have been totally different and handled differently.”

The exhibition games in Shanghai and Shenzhen took place as scheduled, though there was some skepticism earlier in the week that they would happen at all. According to Charania, a “sizeable amount” of players on the Lakers and Nets felt as if it would be best to cancel those games due to the ongoing chaos.
    • Sources told Charania that some Lakers and Nets players lost money over broken deals in Shanghai, since they ended up not making planned sponsorship appearances. Charania also reports that at least two Rockets players had sponsorship negotiations with Chinese companies hit an impasse in the wake of Morey’s tweet.
    • Several executive and ownership sources who spoke to Charania believe Silver will “regain a foothold” in the league’s relationship with China, but fear “irreparable losses” for the Rockets going forward. China’s response to Morey’s tweet may end up costing the Rockets approximately $25MM in sponsorship money this season, one source estimates to Marc Stein of The New York Times.
    • During last week’s meeting with Lakers and Nets players in Shanghai, Silver was asked directly whether anything would happen to Morey, per ESPN’s report. According to ESPN, multiple players said they thought that if a player cost the league millions of dollars with a tweet, there would be repercussions. Morey won’t face any discipline from the league, which seems like the right call, since his message ostensibly showed support for human rights and democracy.

D-rock likes this.
  7. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Darul Mory dominates feeble player minds.

D-rock likes this.
  8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

That was described as worst case, high-end -- which obviously includes team sponsorship deals that can be replaced. The tencent TV contract alone wouldn't nearly have that type of impact...that would be the only hard-to-replace loss of revenue, no?

9. icewill36

icewill36 Member

There is big difference in that and what Morey did. China is a different country with a different political system man. They are not like us and never will be. We cannot change their politics. Players CAN influence things here because the people can get behind them then the powers that be have to listen. So it is pointless to for an athlete to speak out. Why lose millions for something that isn’t going to change? Get money from China and help more people HERE.

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

HoopsHype asked seven NBA agents how they’re advising their clients to answer questions about this topic and whether they believe this controversy will affect the salary cap. The agents spoke on the condition of anonymity. Several other agents refused to comment – even off the record – because this is such a sensitive topic.

Since this is such a touchy situation, some agents have advised their players to avoid talking about it altogether.

“We proactively addressed our clients and told them not to discuss this and just let the NBA handle it at this point,” one agent said. “There’s really no upside to speaking out about this if you’re a player, so we advised them that it’s best to stay out of it and let Adam Silver and the league handle this.”

“None of my guys have asked me about addressing the situation,” another agent added. “At this point, I think it’s like a hot iron and no players want to touch it. No one wants to give their opinion on it. [I believe players] shouldn’t talk about politics or religion.”

Other agents have warned their players that they should only speak out about this topic if they are well-informed.

“I tell my guys that they should read up on the issue and that they should understand some of the issues involving human rights,” one agent said. “It’s a delicate balance of trying to do business in China and understanding that you have to sacrifice certain freedoms that many people take for granted here – unfortunately.”

“My players haven’t asked me what they should say to the media, but I sent a note to all of them about this,” another agent added. “I basically said that this is a super sensitive subject and it’s best to be very careful with anything related to it.”

Players and coaches who consistently speak out about social issues have received some criticism for staying silent (so far) when it comes to this topic. Multiple agents defended these players.

“I think it’s absolutely unfair,” one agent said. “Players typically want to speak out against social injustices, but because this isn’t happening here in the U.S., the players don’t necessarily know what is going on in China or in Hong Kong and they don’t understand the human-rights violations involved. And if these players aren’t knowledgeable on this subject, they shouldn’t speak out.”

“After Klay Thompson rolls out of bed and fixes a 300-year debate in China via Twitter, should he then move on to fixing Palestine?” another agent wondered. “[Brooklyn Nets owner] Joe Tsai said it perfectly: It’s just one of those things that exist that is beyond comprehension and debate; it’s a third rail.”

A PR person who works for an agency agreed that many players don’t feel informed enough to share their thoughts.

“I think a lot of guys don’t have a clear understanding of what is happening in Hong Kong,” said the agency PR person. “But in situations like this, my advice is always: ‘Make sure you are educated and passionate about the cause before you begin speaking on politics.’”

As for whether this will impact the NBA’s salary cap going forward, some agents were more optimistic than others. On one side, some believe that this will pass and ultimately have zero impact on the league’s bottom line.

“I personally don’t think the salary cap will be affected,” said one top agent. “I personally feel that this was an overblown response from China, the Chinese Basketball Association and Chinese sponsors who were politically posturing. I think they overplayed their hand to some degree. They saw an opportunity and tried to capitalize on it, but it blew up in their face and, as a result, they’re now starting to back off. They don’t want to hurt how they’re perceived and they are worried about this affecting the 2022 Winter Olympics, which China is set to host. I think they’re starting to back off and this situation will blow over and not affect the NBA’s salary cap.”

“I think the relationship will be mended,” another agent added. “It may take a few months (or longer), but I believe the relationship will slowly be mended. I think it could affect the NBA’s salary cap, but not necessarily.”

Other agents believe that a cap hit is inevitable (especially since the NBA has a nine-figure TV deal in China).

“Yes, the cap will be affected. Will it be a 1 percent or 10 percent? Nobody knows,” another agent said. “With [the shoe company] Anta supposedly canceling their NBA licensing deal, we already know that revenue will be impacted. We just have no clue how much it’ll be impacted.”

Shortly after Morey’s tweet, China canceled a G League exhibition game between the Texas Legends and Rio Grande Valley Vipers (the Rockets’ G League affiliate). One agent who represents a Vipers player said that his client missed out on $4,000 that he would’ve received from the trip as well as great exposure from playing overseas. The agent added: “I guess what I’m trying to say is that this has had an effect on many levels.”

The United States and China continue to have talks about a possible trade deal, and one agent wonders if that will impact this situation.

“If this trade deal is agreed to and things normalize, which it looks like they may, I would think that the business relationship between China and the NBA will get back on track,” the agent said. “Could there be a short-term cap hit? Sure. However, if things fall apart with the trade deal, things will get ugly. Because the relationship between the NBA and China is so high-profile, I’d imagine that it would be negatively impacted in a big way. The relationship between the NBA and China and Nike is now highly politicized.”

BaselineFade likes this.
  11. Air Yordan

Air Yordan Member

Morey is a god and a MAN!

12. Hard_foul

Hard_foul Member

I call bs. Players do and say whatever the hell they want. With no consequences.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It’s time to move on. Morey addressed this. Silver addressed this. The Chinese government has apparently decided to stop making an ass of themselves about something their own citizens couldn't even see, Morey’s one retweet that he immediately took down and apologized for. So they’ve acted to cool things down. In my opinion, the rest of this is just noise. When the season starts, we’ll all be talking about basketball, as it should be, and everything anyone simply has to discuss that has to do with politics can be discussed in D&D, where it belongs. In my opinion.

ESPN? They can go **** themselves. So can the Nets and the Lakers, in my humble opinion. ESPN only cares about giving themselves publicity. The owner of the Nets clearly has his own agenda, and the Lakers are just dying to become relevant again, by hook or by crook. Why should we give a damn about what they think? I certainly don’t.

da_juice, Richie_Rich and D-rock like this.
  14. malakas

malakas Member

Lakers and Nets?

One has a player who calls refs faggots and other slurs and the other has a player that called India a dirty dumpster.
    They didn't even tweet about it straight up said it in front of cameras.

da_juice and D-rock like this.
  15. MD_in_Training

Lol a bunch of hypocrites. Social justice when it suits them. Silence when it doesn’t.

What if Tiananmen 2.0 happened? What would the players say then?

Richie_Rich, tinman, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  16. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Draft!? With what!
    All first rounds was traded for inan shumpert!?

The Cavs got our 2019 lottery pick and rockets got Iman shumpert in return!?!?

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

18. bratna8

bratna8 Member

19. MD_in_Training

Oh wise one Lebron. Do share with us your all seeing wisdom in regards to this situation since the foolish Morey wasn’t educated enough about it.

Deckard, Richie_Rich and malakas like this.
  20. malakas

malakas Member

"I don't have enough information to comment but I believe Morey was uneducated"

If you don't have enough information then how you know the other person is uneducated?

Good to see how Lebron is a 2 faced hypocrite.

MrSabotage, RayRay10, SORF and 5 others like this.