1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Time to make the Jump to Mike Trout

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Senator, Oct 12, 2019.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Stupid take. This is baseball. Not basketball.

2. Senator

Senator Member

This is not a knee jerk reaction. The team has struggled for 2 entire playoffs in a row... going back to 2017, it really was a fairy tale year where EVERYTHING went perfectly right. With the amount of talent on this team, it doesn't have to be that way.

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Too bad they didn't call up Seth Beer so he could be playing

jiggyfly likes this.
  4. nacho bidness

nacho bidness Member

Pitching is what matters most

5. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

correa really struggled tonight
    also can you please look up how many teams have made the ALCS 3 years in a row?
    while you are at it, please look up how the past 4 non Astro world series winners have done since and compare that to the Astros.
    while you are it, please look up trouts postseason numbers

6. Senator

Senator Member

I'm not looking for 1 sample out of 10

I'm also not happy about eeking out an x-innings win at home against the Yankees with Verlander on the mound after getting blown out the previous day. The astros tanked for an unprecedented 5 years and now have the assets to make a move for Trout while maintaining their status as heavyweights... you have to go for it. There is no doubt this offense is struggling for their talent level.

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Get over it. The Angels will not be trading Mike Trout. Most Astros fans are ecstatic about winning game 2 in the ALCS even though their hitting was mostly nonexistent. It is too bad that wins in the playoffs with a historically good regular season team, brings you so much distress.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  8. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Like Seth beer huh. You have no idea how trout would do in the playoffs. It's the freaking playoffs you are happy when you win. Lastly, Correa has had 2 good games out of the 7 playoff games this year.
    Also I am not really sure why I am wasting time replying to a horrible take.

jiggyfly, Wulaw Horn and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  9. the shark

the shark Member

They won last night (Verlander pitched great) and you're "not happy"??

If you can't get happy about that than that's on YOU!!!

eliefor3 likes this.
  10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Safe to say this thread has gone full ______ (censored for PC reasons).

Correa, Springer and Altuve's post-season numbers are way up there.... almost Trout-like. Time to appreciate that while you can.

When its all said and done, they (along with Verlander) will have had what amounts to an entire career for some players... just in the post-season. Trout has never even sniffed the post-season. I get trying to improve the team in the midst of struggles, but every other team (including the Yankees) wants to have the team the Astros currently have.

11. vince

vince Member

This is baseball. There are no guarantees just because you have a good heck of a lot talent on the roster. But one thing is true, all teams that get to the playoffs are very talented, the ones that win it are the ones with the momentum... And momentum is often generated by team chemistry that helps overcome adversity.

The Yankees are a formidable team. They just dusted off the Twins, like they weren’t very good, even though they were a 100+ win team.

The Astros got caught in that Game 1, by the Yankees momentum generated by the Twins butt whooping. Verlander and the bullpen tamed the Yankees bravado....

I don’t think there is a pitcher in baseball I’d want starting game 3 in Yankees Stadium, besides Cole.

I’d be a fool to turn down Trout, but the powers that be, kind of made it difficult to stock pile talent, heck even retaining talent is extremely difficult and expensive.

Most everyone on the planet who follows baseball would want the Astros collection of talent. You happen to be one who doesn’t. You are going by a feeling, Luhnow is going with proven data, though not perfect is proving to be fairly reliable.

12. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

Stupid response. :)

13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

You know what's just as good as a Mike Trout, both offensively and defensively? A 100% healthy Carlos Correa.

eliefor3 likes this.
  14. homewight

homewight Contributing Member

Silly idea. They are super cold and I've already called them the new Killer B's in frustration. But they have been clutch in the past (unlike Biggio and Bags in the playoffs). And Beer was traded in the Greinke trade.

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

My frustration with Correa has always been health and strike outs. If he was always healthy, he would perennially be in the MVP conversation. The guy really does have all the tools in the world. His defense is other worldly most of the time. As good as Bregman, there is a reason why Correa forced him to move to 3rd base when SS is his natural position.

eliefor3 likes this.
  16. Hoothrewpoo

Hoothrewpoo Member

2 entire playoffs in a row? The Astros scored 42 runs in 8 playoff games in 2018 (5+ per game)... what part of that is struggling? They just ran into a Red Sox team that was almost unbeatable. In 2017 they scored 78 runs in 18 games (4+ per game). This season they've scored 22 runs in 7 games (3+ per game). It's silly to say any of those numbers are struggling - even this postseason. If you want to point the finger, point it at the bullpen, where the majority of runs have been surrendered in the playoffs since 2017. Mike Trout certainly won't help that.

Your original post is the epitome of a knee jerk reaction. You clearly aren't familiar with the post season stats or trade-able assets the Astros have.

17. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Just to add to this. You kn
    Preach!
    Correa is the most talented Astro. Too bad he is also the most injury prone

18. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I'm sure this is asked, but why are you trying to trade multiple players that are no longer in the organization?

19. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

A deal I'd actually do if I was the Angels
    Trout and Pujols for Yuli, Correa, Tucker & Whitley. I'd use getting off the $60 million in net salary differential to sign Cole and someone like MadBum and Wade Miley.

So, essentially, that would be trading Trout for Yuli, Correa, Tucker, Whitley, Cole, MadBum and Wade Miley. That would make them a much better team.

Would the Astros do that deal? That's 2 years of CC, 1 year of Yuli, & 7 years of Tucker and Whitley. TINSTAAPP and Tucker's obviously lost his shine, and I'd think you'd probably have to move Brantley and Reddick both, but...

Springer
    Trout
    Altuve
    Bregman
    Yordan
    Pujols
    Toro
    Catcher
    Straw
    is a pretty interesting lineup, and of course you then have Trout to add to Altuve and Bregman and hope to re-sign Springer, and that locks up maybe the greatest core 4 lineup guys in baseball history through about 2025 for what- 120 million?

That'd be an interesting who says no type deal. I think I'd do that if I was either team, honestly. People's heads would explode.

I'm not actually advocating any of this, and this might be the dumbest thread I've ever seen on here, but if I was going to entertain the idea of a Trout deal that would work for all parties I feel like that's what it would have to look like.

#59 Wulaw Horn, Oct 14, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  20. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Right?!? It’s like people throwing harden in a trade. Lol.

whiskeyred likes this.