1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

538 has Rockets as title favorites

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Broford, Oct 12, 2019.

1. curbur

curbur Member

lmao the 538 player projections models have Lebron as ony a 'Borderline Allstar' this year. That won'tchange the fact ESPN will be all over the Lakers every year he's on them.

D-rock likes this.
  2. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

She won by 3 million votes. That election was flat out stolen. Weird stuff happened in Florida and North Carolina.

D-rock likes this.
  3. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Doubt the GARM is the place to discuss the 2016 election. I'll merely say that I disagree with that analysis.

IMHO, and I could easily be wrong, 538 tries to get it right with statistical analysis. Under sampling of right-wing, rural voters was a systemic issue in 2016 polls, and to their credit, the pollsters seem to have adjusted their methodology, e.g., polling for the O'Rourke-Cruz election was consistently around Cruz 2-4, which is how the election turned out.

On the Rockets, specifically Gordon, I think they are evaluating Gordon on his entire body of work, whereas the Rockets are hoping (and putting their money where their mouth is) that Gordon's last two months of play is more indicative of his true value. For Harden's value, it's hardly a secret that the max NBA contract is often the biggest bargain in sports management. Certainly was the case for LeBron and a bunch of others.

napalm06 and MorningZippo like this.
  4. BigBum

BigBum Member

Thunder 47 wins
    Lakers 47 wins
    Blazers 41 wins
    Kings 34 wins

I think Kings are better than thunder.
    Mine is
    Kings 40
    Thunder 34

topfive likes this.
  5. topfive

topfive CF OG

Woj isn't really a great analyst, imo. He's great a gathering intel, but his entire shtick is relying on what other people tell him. That's how he's made his reputation.

Lawlruschang, Nook, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  6. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

To repeat this for 3 straight years makes it not even somewhat rude to call you dumb.

crimsonghost likes this.
  7. thekad

thekad Member

Note they have Paul adding more value than Westbrook over the next two seasons. And the Rockets gave up multiple firsts for that ridiculously stupid swap.

8. BigBum

BigBum Member

I think the fair trade would be

Paul + 1 First + 1 Swap = Westbrook

9. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Nate Silver of 538 was actually the guy who (among the objective analysts) rated Trump's odds the highest, at around 35%. He was attacked for it, but his reasoning was sound and well quantified, and he was vindicated.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Looks about right. Bucks/Lakers/Clippers are on the highest tier, and the Rockets with a healthy Eric Gordon are RIGHT THERE in the mix...

Lawlruschang likes this.
  12. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

When was the last time Houston beat the Bucks ? I just dont think Hou or LAL match up with them, and they are likely getting Convington or JJ Reddick, two players Hou should get but won't be able to. I would bet on the Bucks, but no way Im doing that against the Rox in the finals.

It just makes too much sense for the NBA to create a Lakers/Bucks finals.

Xerobull likes this.
  13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I don't buy it. Lakers, Clippers and Bucks are in the top tier imo. Rockets and Sixers have a chance if they make an upgrade over and above the buyout/trade additions that the top tier will make.

In the Rockets case, it is practically impossible that we will improve more than the Lakers/Clippers if, for example, they add Iguodala. Those dreaming of buyout signings also should beware, the Los Angeles teams are both contending for the first time in a long time and players will flock there. Guys like Ariza, Iguodala, etc are going to go home.

Little Bit likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

538 could be owned by Ferntit.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I thought Trump had a real chance though, RW populists at that time and even now do throughout the world.

16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

He's stating people often do dumb ****

17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

It's gotta be Milwaukee. Having the gold paved road through the East with the 1 seed is so valuable.

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Disagree, both Bucks and Clips losses were close games. Bucks spanked the Lakers.

Rockets are much more dangerous than fans and media realize. Rockets will contend this season even without additions. Although acquiring upgrades at starting 4 and backup 5 would make things easier.

19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

DOESN'T NATE KNOW THERE'S NO POLITICS IN THE GARM. NO POLITICS IN THE GARM.

:p

BeBreezy likes this.
  20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Complaining about Politics in the GARM belongs in Feedback.