1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who do you think will make the 15 man roster?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dominicene, Oct 7, 2019.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

I think Spalding will push Hartenstein, Blossomgame and Clark. One these 4 will join Clemons as 2 way players IMO.

I truly hope Spalding shows enough to join 15, Rockets need 6'10 Swiss Army Knife player.

jcf, BaselineFade and ApacheWarrior like this.
  2. MC31B

MC31B Member

I would still rather him shooting than Clark. And if he has lost his touch then the scouting departments from other teams are unaware of it l.

ArtV and AroundTheWorld like this.
  3. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I don’t see Clemons being 2-way player. He has proven himself to be too good for the G-league.

Clemons would score 38 points a game in the G-league. It’s the commitment of spending something like 46 games in
    the G-league that cancels out Clemons as 2-way player He can go to the Vipers every once in a while
    to get some burn time; but 40-something games is too much.

Clark is fine as a guy sent down every once in a while. Took Terrence Jones and DMo 3 years to somewhat develop.
    Clark only has one season under his belt. Injured last year of college dropped him to being undrafted. He is primed
    to improve now.

Ditto with Hartenstein.......no commitment to 40-something games.

Blossomgame is good enough to play for bad teams in the NBA, getting playing time as a backup (2nd unit),
    unfortunately the Rockets are too good for Blossomgame to get much playing time. I think he could play for a
    bad Suns team or Wiz team and get back up minutes. Got 27 games with Cavs last year and did ok.
    I hope I’m wrong.....I just don’t see Blossomgame accepting much G-league stints as dual contract (2-way’s).

Of course just my opinion, 2-way players are reserved for the Gary Clark projects (coming off major injuries)....Spalding types that are projects. Rockets can find another player like this cut from
    another NBA team before opening night or best G-league PF’s not committed to NBA contract.

dominicene, fattz and D-rock like this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

I guess we will see.

Not going to debate Clemons deserving spot on 15, the problem is that Rockets are too deep at guard. And too light at 3-5, especially 4 spot.

Barring trade to alleviate guard depth, Clemons on 15 makes no sense for Rockets.

ApacheWarrior and BaselineFade like this.
  5. MC31B

MC31B Member

Yante Maten is a gut who will probably lose out to taco fall with the celtics and deserves a look.

6. fattz

fattz Member

Starter: Westbrook, Gordon, Harden, Tucker, Capela

Rotation: Rivers, Green, House, Shefolosha, Chandler

Bench: Clark, Hartenstine, Nene, Spaulding, open

2 way: Clemons, Blossomgame

We will pick up a player cut from another team maybe 2 (Nene cut)

7. BigBum

BigBum Member

15-man? no need now.
    waste money.

8. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

Westbrook/Rivers
    Harden/Green/McLemore
    Gordon/House/Clark
    PJ/Thabo/Ryno
    Capela/Chandler/Hartenstein/Nene

2WP
    Clemmons
    ????

Clemmons will probably take Nene’s spot halfway through the season. They have to make sure Nene gets at least the minimum bc he played ball and renounced his player option.

9. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

D’Antoni likes guard play.

Rockets are probably looking at 4 or 5 deep in positions 1 (PG) thru 3 (SF):
    PG: Westbrook/Harden/Gordon/Rivers/Clemons (5 players)
    SG: Harden/Westbrook/Gordon/Rivers/GGreen/Clemons/McLemore (7 players)
    SF: Harden/Gordon/GGreen/House/McLemore/Blossomgame (6 players).....Sefolosha/Tucker (7 & 8 players)

Word is from Houston is Sefolosha is being weened to play PF predominantly. His Utah numbers at PF were good last season.
    http://www.82games.com/1819/18UTA11.HTM
    Sefolosha had a PER of 14.1 while playing PF while keeping opposing PF’s to PER of 9.6. He played 6%
    of Utah’s PF minutes......similar to Utah’s SF minutes. Better than Tucker’s PER’s at PF (10.1 while allowing
    opposing PF’s a PER of 19.0 last season).
    http://www.82games.com/1819/18HOU16.HTM

When people say the Rockets lack depth....I laugh. We have Tucker/Sefolosha/Gary
    Clark at PF. Capela/Chandler/Hartenstein at Center .......Tucker/Sefolosha as small ball Centers.

So yes I agree with you we need possibly more at center/PF......but Clark shot 38% from 3 in Toyota Center last
    season if you look at his splits. Just needs to learn to play on the road, as most role players need to learn.
    https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/clarkga01/splits/2019

Yes, I’m not debating with you. I value your opinion on basketball.

#49 ApacheWarrior, Oct 12, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  10. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

So what I hear you saying is that Blossomgame has real NBA talent.

jcf, ApacheWarrior and D-rock like this.
  11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Didn't look like it to me …. He looked slow and just out of sorts.

Bottom of this roster is really up in the air.

Cant see them keeping 4 centers tho , that's a bit much. Expect Nene to be traded or bought out - question is when.

Feel like Clemmons is fighting an uphill battle , this team is so guard heavy.

Clark hasn't looked NBA good , neither has Ponds or Hartenstein … and Ryno has looked rotten.

Westbrook/Rivers
    Harden/Green/McLemore
    Gordon/House
    PJ/Thabo
    Capela/Chandler/Nene

Three spots and I have no idea who fills them , maybe even leave a spot open.

BaselineFade, D-rock and dominicene like this.
  12. dominicene

dominicene Member

- When playing small ball using a combination of Tucker, House and Sefolosha is sufficient
    - But when the Rockets play teams with larger lineup this could be a problem
    - Having Sefolosha in the rotation is a shaky proposition. I doubt he will be able to hold up a whole season
    - Clark and Hartenstein need more time to develop into before defenders and 3 point shooters
    - Blossomgame has looked okay in garbage time but I don't think his game fits the Rockets style. Rockets may invite him to play in the g league
    - Spalding needs to show in these next preseason games that he can modify his game and adapt to the Rockets style when means shooting threes and defending on the switch

13. dominicene

dominicene Member

I don't really like any of the three but if the Rockets don't make any moves Sefolosha will probably get some minutes to spell relief for Tucker. Hartenstein's game doesn't mesh will how the Rockets. He's in the 10 man rotation if Nene or Chandler is not on the roster. Ryan Anderson can't shoot or defend

14. dominicene

dominicene Member

If you remember last year, Clark was the justification for the Rockets to get rid of Carmelo

15. dominicene

dominicene Member

Spots 11-15 are up for grabs. I just have a feeling that we are going to be seeing some new faces that we didn't expect to make the roster.

16. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes, defensively I think he is right there.......outstanding rebounder. I would bet his rebound percentage is high.
    Offensively he is challengened. Especially shooting 3’s, which is important for Rockets positions 1-3.
    Clark shot well from 3 at least 2 years in college and the start of his rookie year (last season).

Problem is Blossomgame for us is 3rd or 4th string material that needs playing time to improve. I’m not sure
    he would get playing time with the Rockets. Clark I see as raw but 2nd string to 3rd string material for the
    Rockets that if allowed to play from October on @ PF.......could improve. I believe the Rockets are solid
    enough talent wise at every position to cover up Clark’s flaws. By late Dec to January would be a solid
    contributor.

Since the Rockets are a major contender, they probably have less patience with 7th string SF Blossomgame
    getting playing time than 3rd string power forward Gary Clark get playing time......since PF for the Rockets
    is so thin. D’Antoni I’m sure is go8ng to play a lot of Harden/Gordon/McLemore/GGreen/House at SF.

I’m guessing Blossomgame could find greener pastures and get more playing time with another franchise
    and not have to accept a G-league assignment.....but I’ve been wrong before. I never thought Rivers
    would sign for less to come back to us. He may wish he hadn’t now that Westbrook has joined
    after the signing.

17. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I agree with everything; but name the Big Power Forwards of today’s game?
    Julius Randall? Anthony Davis? (If he is not playing Center), Bobby Porter? Myles Turner? (If Sabonis plays center),

That’s what? Maybe 4 guys? 10 guys (I’m sure I’m missing a few players)? Sefolosha will play their backups.

Days of every team having a Zach Randolph are fading. At least D’Antoni thinks so.

18. Reeko

Reeko Member

they both suck...Melo hurt the team a lot more since he was actually getting a good amount of PT...Clark is just your average low potential scrub that doesn’t do anything really well

dominicene likes this.
  19. Le$$

Le$$ Member

https://theathletic.com/nba/boxscore/?id=15154

Its obvious who gonna be your 12, plus the 1 going to the vipers. Its already been spelled out twice lol..

Houston Rockets
    PLAYERS MIN PTS REB AST STL BLK FG 3PT FT TO PF +/-
    J. Harden PG 28 22 3 9 3 0 6-16 1-8 9-13 5 2 -2
    P. Tucker SF 27 9 10 2 0 1 3-7 3-7 0-0 0 2 -3
    R. Westbrook PG 25 22 3 4 3 0 7-17 3-11 5-7 4 5 +1
    E. Gordon SG 23 14 2 0 1 1 5-10 4-8 0-0 1 1 +16
    C. Capela C 20 10 7 1 1 2 5-6 0-0 0-0 2 4 -6
    D. House PF 28 4 5 3 1 2 1-8 0-5 2-2 0 0 +15
    A. Rivers PG 20 10 2 2 2 0 3-9 2-7 2-2 2 3 +11
    G. Green SG 19 5 4 1 1 0 2-5 1-4 0-0 1 3 +1
    T. Chandler C 15 6 3 1 0 2 2-3 0-0 2-2 0 1 +1
    B. McLemore SG 14 3 2 1 0 0 1-5 1-5 0-0 2 3 -11
    C. Clemons PG 14 9 2 1 0 0 2-10 2-9 3-4 1 1 0
    I. Hartenstein PF 10 2 8 1 0 0 1-2 0-0 0-0 2 2 +8
    S. Ponds PG 4 2 1 0 0 0 0-0 0-0 2-2 1 0 +4
    FULL ROSTER

I think there gonna let Ryan Anderson Stay and Mix in and out With Hartenstein. As your 3rd stringers. He could be a good shooting coach neither the less, and even make some big shots late in 3rd quarters.

20. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bring back DMO