1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Daryl Morey and the NBA need to apologize to China

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by weopeo9744, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Actually the US government does consider Puerto Rico as a state.

For all US exports (value over certain amount, like 3K or 5K), the US government requires the US shipper to file an export declaration called AES, and for Puerto Rico, the country code is US.

BigShasta likes this.
  2. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I mean a state as in they have a voice in government and can elect voting representatives in Washington. They don't have much of a voice on the mainland, and are often marginalized to their link to the US. There are people in this country that thought Puerto Rico was its own country, with a different president a d such. The recent disasters have brought to light how it's not that way, but they still don't have a presence like they should. They are Americans too.

3. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Absolutely,

I remembered how Trump bullied that female mayor there during the hurricane but if they will have any votes, I bet the situation could be much different.

daywalker02 and Pizza_Da_Hut like this.
  4. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

PR would be a state already, if it was not for Republicans. They do not want to give Democrats another stronghold in Presidential elections.

kanariya and Pizza_Da_Hut like this.
  5. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

You are denigrating a basketball franchise and global entity in the NBA because of an impersonal tweet that did not personally affect your life until your media told you otherwise. If this is your standard for morality then I can tell you full stop that your internet outrage is transparently fake and unbecoming of a presumably well intentioned individual.

D-rock, malakas and MorningZippo like this.
  6. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Russia used to be white but is now Chinese.

7. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

I must be reading some of the 13% of articles that are banned in China that you don’t get to read.

I feel bad for you. I can’t even imagine what being brain washed feels like, because 0% of news articles are banned in my country.

I hope your country eventually trusts you enough to let you have your own opinion. Judging from your comments though.. it doesn’t seem like you are ready to think for yourself.

D-rock and malakas like this.
  8. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

The difference is that Puerto Rico voted to remain somewhat independent. Unlike China, we are respecting Puerto Rico’s right to self rule to the degree they choose.

The other difference is that they would never willingly leave the US, because we aren’t taking away their rights. Imagine if we required extradition for crimes committed there. We’d have a revolt on our hands too, as we should.

D-rock, Pizza_Da_Hut and malakas like this.
  9. xinggo

xinggo Member

member since 2003, first ever post. Chinese american (or used to be), been living in china for the past one and a half decode. Here's my point of view.

1. chiense govn (which is controled by communist party) is a totalitarian government. they cut the internet to outside world and brainwash it's citizens, so the majority of ppl in china have no common sense nor share any common values of the western countries.

2. chinese govn exloits its' 1billion+ working population to make the few ruling families rich, and uses it's economic prowess to exerts influence on western states, so they can get away with almost anything on the international stage.

3. It's really time for the west to stand up and fight not only for the freedom of HK, but the freedom of the world. Because the communist party's influence is like a ever-growing cancer cells. So big bravo to morey.

4. If the chinese govn bans the nba, they should also ban every single US invention in the past two and a half centuries.

D-rock, slothy420, malakas and 5 others like this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They still need teh Shanghai Sharks to slaugther every pre-season.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well, there is no free press no more, you have to pay some absurd subscription fee for only couple articles.

12. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

Isn't it obvious to this guy that the people of Hong Kong see themselves differently from today's mainland Chinese culture? Sure, mainland is trying to preserve their sovereignty, but a lot has changed in HK since Europe took control and consequently returned it. But cultures and people change, especially in that kind of time span. For whatever reason, they don't want to join with the mainland, and they've proven they can be a global player on their own (likely because of their former European ties). They should be allowed to have their voices heard on such a big issue especially when it comes to authoritative jurisdiction. Also, while the US isn't clean of its own horrible transgressions, it isn't a valid argument to dismiss the Hong Kong citizens arguments.

It honestly seems like HK protestors now have a cultural identity, mixing western and eastern ideologies, that works for them. They don't want to succumb to certain mainland rules that negate the lifestyle and rights they have been afforded.

D-rock, kanariya and noppeper like this.
  13. lpbman

lpbman Member

That's... that's not what free press means. I hope you are joking, but a free press is one that is free to ask questions without government interference.

D-rock likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Free articles, as in free of charge, haha.

15. malakas

malakas Member

The guardian.

Major news outlet, independent and not owned by a billionare or a corporation, has won many investigative journalism awards and broken stories.
    Free of charge.

https://www.theguardian.com/us?INTCMP=CE_US

It depends on donations to make their living and it is sustainable because it is high quality enough for people to be willing to support it on their own.

daywalker02 likes this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

That sword slices both ways friend.

17. Mr. Space City

what a difference a few months makes. now china needs to apologize to the rest of the world.

D-rock and waytookrzy079 like this.
  18. Reeko

Reeko Member

I had so many things I wanted to do this summer...now all I have to look forward to is more months of social distancing and hopefully not catching Covid-19

I have no idea when I’ll be in a gym, hooping, at a movie theater, at a dog park, on a plane, etc again

D-rock likes this.
  19. Toffeeone

Toffeeone Member

If you keep your mouth shut no one would know how stupid you are. Should the US apologize to the people who had the H1N1 virus last year that caused 30k people death? You know the one that Trump calls it the Mexican virus.

How about HIV? How about we went to China and offered 3 times the price to hijack masks that were ready to be shipped to German France and Canada? You know our FEMA went there to buy and to Thailand airport while on route to Europe for delivery.

We are in an unprecedented global event with thousands of people dying everyday, yet you are here without much intelligent and act like Trump and say stupid things. Grow up will ya

Emanon likes this.
  20. Mr. Space City

yes