1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you're in charge, do you let Gerrit Cole walk or pay him?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Marteen, Sep 18, 2019.

?

Do you let Gerrit Cole walk or pay him?

Poll closed Sep 30, 2019.
  1. Pay the man.

91.9%
  2. Let him walk.

8.1%
  1. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

LAD lost again this year, if they break the bank for Cole, what else do they left for other players? They are not better than Astros with Cole staying here.

2. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Thanks for this. So if we were to exceed the limit by 40 million in 2020. The cost would be 13M if we did it again in 2021 it would be 17M. It’s not my money, but it’s not as bad as I thought it would be. I would think we will offer Cole a competitive offer if we win the WS this year.

vince likes this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

He's won 18 decisions in a row. The last pitcher to do that in a single season was Rube Marquard in 1912 who won 19 in a row for the New York Giants

https://theathletic.com/1286146/201...run-is-becoming-impossible-to-put-into-words/

whiskeyred and Marteen like this.
  4. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

You know what would go a long way in any negotiations we have with Cole? Slamming that 2019 Commissioner's Trophy on the table, and saying, "Let's go get ourselves a few more of these, Gerrit."

the shark likes this.
  5. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Seeing Cole waving to the crowd the last 3 starts has me thinking he is gone after the playoffs. If the Astros win the World Series, we should pay him till Verlander's, or Greinke's contract ends.

6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

But how great would this roster be if they signed Cole, Harris, Chirinos, and Grandal this offseason.

7. edc

edc Contributing Member

It is not just the tax, but also a draft pick penalty for exceeding the luxury tax. This is not good for the future of the franchise.

Beginning in 2018, clubs that are $40 million or more above the threshold shall have their highest selection in the next Rule 4 Draft moved back 10 places unless the pick falls in the top six. In that case, the team will have its second-highest selection moved back 10 places instead.

8. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

can we somehow trade or release grienke so we can sign cole? dont think we can afford both AND jV.

9. awc713

awc713 Member

I think people are overreacting the Cole’s post-game appreciation for the fans.

At the end of the day, we’ll make a competitive offer and Cole will consider it. We will also get blown out of the water by another team. That’s pretty much guaranteed. Texas’ tax rates do help, though.

I’d imagine our most competitive offer will be along the lines of 7y, 270mil (38 mil per), heavily front loaded for the first 2-3 years and an opt out after 2 or 3 years. I believe he will get offers north of 300mil, perhaps around 350. I could honestly see a big market shovel 375. He’s arguably primed to hit the market in a better position than any player, EVER. San Diego and Philly shoveled what, 330 and 300 for Harper and Machado?

At the end of the day, we can only hope that Cole’s time in Houston, together with Nolan, JV, etc, is enough of a selling point to take a bit less to come here (with the potential to go elsewhere in a few years).

Sidenote: I LOVE that Upton and Cole’s wife look to get along. Family is almost always is the most important variable. Where does Mrs. Cole want to be? Hopefully we’ve shown the Cole’s enough to think twice before leaving Houston. Maybe the leave, and if so, I’ll tip my cap. But just stay...

#549 awc713, Oct 11, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    whiskeyred and Jake Tower like this.
  10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If the money is close, I think there's enough interest from the Cole's to stay.

11. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

While I love how Cole has developed here as an Astro, I will always be leery of a long-term contract with a pitcher. I cannot think of a long-term high dollar deal for a pitcher that has worked out (Price got $217 for seven and that contract looks worse by the day).

I’d rather see a five year deal for $175 - $200 million. That would make Cole the highest paid pitcher in the game, and he’d still have options built into the deal where could opt out after years two, three and four.

If there is a team out there willing to make him the first $300 million dollar pitcher, more power to him, but I hope that winning culture here helps to keep him here.

12. rugg31

rugg31 Member

I agree the Astros won’t go beyond a five year offer. My guess is they go roughly five for 150 or offer a shorter two years for 70 giving him another opportunity to choose his longer term destination after going for two more shots at a ring. That would also help avoid three consecutive years in the luxury tax for the Astros.

13. PhiSlammaJamma

If we match the biggest offer, which is what we should do, then he just has to decide where he wants to live. Nobody really knows what he will be thinking.

If we just try to be competitive or come close and ask him to take a hometown offer on account he's happy, he'll be gone. It's insulting. There's nothing that creates more angst then doing your job at an elite level, delivering a title, and getting an offer below your value. But it sets the wrong tone for the rest of the team as well. And things start to collapse. If the Astros want to play they have to come in on the high side and tap the sap tree. I believe they should and will. You don't let the best pitcher in the game walk.

14. the shark

the shark Member

Would be interesting to see how much $$ a GoFundme page for Cole staying in Houston would amount to.

Especially if they win the WS!!

How much $$ could they get from 500,000 to a million people at a WS parade?

Just another way to show how much the city loves him and wants him to stay.

What about local corporations ponying up $$ for endorsements? Mattress Mac?

Academy puts Cole on a shirt & cap with a slogan to keep him here in Houston with those proceeds going to Cole (or if not legal) say it goes to a charity that Cole and his wife support.

Maybe it also amps up the pressure for Crane and his partners to pay the luxury tax.

15. elrond

elrond Member

Any Rounders fans here?

16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

$375M?! Hahahahaha no. If someone offers him $250M he will be all over that. He’s a 28 year old pitcher dripping in Houston’s secret sauce, not a 26 year old position player with both a history of production and potential untapped ceiling. I think he will get ~$230M. If Houston wins the World Series I think they will make a competitive offer that includes an enticing opt out after 2 years.

vince likes this.
  17. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

If I'm Houston I don't want to give him an opt out that soon. Part of the rational for paying the huge salary and tax is so Cole can anchor the rotation in 2022 and beyond when Greinke and Verlander contracts expire.

18. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

19. magichat281

magichat281 Member

I would resign him and trade Osuna and Greinke for picks. Correa has fallen off for past couple seasons he can go too.

20. magichat281

magichat281 Member

Always can trade in 3 team deal where we receive picks and money. Zach can go along with Osuna.