1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

China backs down under fear of american retributions and Olympics boycott

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by malakas, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Miracle

Miracle Member

Well it does somewhat connect to the First Opium War -- in which China lost and ceded HK to Britain (BTW, there was a second Opium War in which China also lost) -- because the Chinese regard the tweet as a support of violent behaviors that attempt to separate HK from China under some control of western countries behind the scene. You see the analogy here.

The tweet had already been forwarded, circulated, and drawn significant dissent on the Chinese social network. So its deletion on Twitter is no longer important. There were also no further actions from anyone in the Rockets organization or the NBA within the first 24 hours or so after the incident. Considering the influence of the tweet as well as the Rockets in China, the government stepped in as usual and demanded an apology. And when the apology was unsatisfactory -- i.e. no mentioning about the core problem of China's national sovereignty -- the situation got worse and worse.

#121 Miracle, Oct 11, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  2. nacho bidness

nacho bidness Member

Considering you can lose your land here if you don't pay your taxes, it's almost the same lol

cheke64 likes this.
  3. hezhenxiangx

hezhenxiangx Member

chinese pay tax for the building too ,but not annually,we pay tax when we buy house .about 3%

4. hezhenxiangx

hezhenxiangx Member

lots of chinese cheer for 911 in 2001and make fun of 911 today .are they apologize ? snowflake is snowflake.double standard is double standard

D-rock likes this.
  5. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

It doesn't take hundreds of thousands of workers to make iphones. It's not a labor intensive process. It takes a factory.

Plus, America has been doing impossible things throughout its history. One of the things that makes America...America.

That said...that's not even the point. WE don't have to make iphones. Why not have Bangadesh do it? Or India? In fact, I suspect a LOT of work China does now will go to India...it will be the next 'China'.

jcf likes this.
  6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've skimmed just skimmed this thread since my earlier post. Yes the reaction to Morey's tweet the CCP had to be involved. No movement like this could happen without the CCP being involved. I wouldn't though discount that there wasn't a lot of grassroots anger over this among the Chinese populace. Nationalism is very strong in the PRC and the PRC has been pushing it very heavily. As I stated earlier it can spin out of control where in a situation with the Japanese the Chinese police had to restrain their own citizens from attacking the Japanese consulate and even people driving Japanese cars.

malakas likes this.
  7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Actually a lot of manufacturing has moved on to other countries as the PRC has developed it's no longer the cheapest labor market. It's not nearly the same scale as here but the PRC does have a bit of an outsourcing problem too and there have been protests by Chinese workers who have lost their jobs. This is one of the indicators that many are looking at for a potential Chinese recession or possibly even one that is already happening but is hidden.

8. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

You're assuming China WAS buying US goods. Yes, food products, (which, being food, they kinda need, no?) We have the trade imbalance we do because China exported so much more than the imported to us. What US companies ARE chasing, though...is the potential China market.

What they didn't tackle is intellectual property rights. Would be interesting to see a chart comparing how much of our stuff China currently buys (excluding food) vs how much they steal from us. It would likely surprise most everyone
    Thank god! :)

9. hezhenxiangx

hezhenxiangx Member

mongolia and east-siberia belong to china since ancient time .why don't you ask for sovereignty now ?

D-rock likes this.
  10. Miracle

Miracle Member

• One major difference is influence. If the cheering is local and does not raise enough public attention within the US, nobody is going to care about it at all so no public apology would be required by anyone.
    • If you are an upper management of a Chinese company doing business with the US, and your client discovers your cheering of 9.11 and expresses strong dissent, then you would need to apologize to them if you still want to keep the client and your job.

#130 Miracle, Oct 11, 2019
  11. Miracle

Miracle Member

They are already independent from China at the foundation of PRC, so nobody regards them as parts of China.

#131 Miracle, Oct 11, 2019
  12. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

So will they be wearing those china jerseys this year?

13. hezhenxiangx

hezhenxiangx Member

and nobody regard Taiwan (republic of china ,founded in1911)as parts of communist china too

#133 hezhenxiangx, Oct 11, 2019
  14. hezhenxiangx

hezhenxiangx Member

considering twitter is banned in china .where the influence come from ? the only explanation is communist government wanna you hate American.

D-rock likes this.
  15. Miracle

Miracle Member

There is a lot of historical and political background on the topic. Anyone who is interested can read the wiki page on the topic. The PRC government has always claimed that Taiwan is part of China and this is also accepted by the United Nation. Most people in mainland China have the same view as the government.

I had explained that in my earlier post. Please read it carefully.

And please do not regard me as someone blindly speaking for the Chinese government as if I take for granted everything they say. I was merely explaining views from different sides in a neutral manner and trying to help people understand the situation. In contrast, you seem to be against the Chinese government in almost all your replies that I have read. It would be very nice that you try to understand things from different perspectives rather than having a stereotype and sticking to one way of thinking.

#135 Miracle, Oct 12, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  16. hezhenxiangx

hezhenxiangx Member

I am chinese live in mainland .according history ,how can be a government founded in 1949 claim a government founded in 1911 belong to him ?
    in another perspective ,Taiwan passport recognized by 200+ country .it seems to Taiwan is recognized as an independent country.
    P.S :wiki is banned in china too...

D-rock, thetennisyao and malakas like this.
  17. hezhenxiangx

hezhenxiangx Member

I am chinese live in mainland .according history ,how can be a government founded in 1949 claim a government founded in 1911 belong to him ?
    in another perspective ,Taiwan passport recognized by 200+ country .it seems to Taiwan is recognized as an independent country.
    P.S :wiki is banned in china too...

18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Nah, they're backing out because Nike and Adidas gave them a call.

It's all about money.

19. Miracle

Miracle Member

Territorial disputes are all over the world. Every government claims which part of the globe belong to its territory based on (1) historical, cultural, and ethnic ties; as well as (2) political and economic interests. These disputes are political topics everywhere.

The status of Taiwan has been a long political battle between the People's Republic of China (PRC) and the Republic of China (ROC) governments after the foundation of PRC. PRC eventually established itself as the only lawful representative of China to the United Nations. Naturally, it claims ROC is illegitimate and Taiwan is part of China. PRC also convinced many countries and international organizations to agree with the position.

As for the passport, countries accept Taiwan passport mostly for the convenience of mutual communication and traveling. It does not mean that they agree with ROC's claim that Taiwan is sovereign country that would make it eligible to participate in many other international affairs.

#139 Miracle, Oct 12, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  20. thetennisyao

thetennisyao Member

Are you really Chinese and live in mainland now? I wanna give you thumb up.

D-rock, Jontro and malakas like this.