1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

China backs down under fear of american retributions and Olympics boycott

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by malakas, Oct 11, 2019.

1. smp

smp Member

Haha. This is exactly what I said several days ago to all the butthurt Chinese nationalists on this forum. The Chinese Government was extremely dumb to make a big deal out of Morey’s tweet. It makes them look like an oppressive, tyrannical, regime- which is exactly what the HK protesters are saying. They just validated the message the HK protesters were sending. Not only did they validate it, they put a worldwide spotlight on it. Dumbasses had no clue how the rest of the world views them when they oppress free speech.

I tried to explain it here and the Chinese nationalists argued with me non stop. Wouldn’t even consider a position outside of their own. Maybe they will open their eyes now? Unlikely. Unless the government tells them to.

Richie_Rich, Yung-T, Zboy and 12 others like this.
  2. marky :)

marky :) Member

Guess they finally realized there was a huge uptick on negative comments towards China from people that wouldn't have said anything if China didn't blow this up.

Mazulis, don grahamleone and jev5555 like this.
  3. WNBA

WNBA Member

I knew it was all fans and private companies. Chinese government will not involve with this mess directly.
    I still predict a bigger ban later.

4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bu.. bu.. but..

All our Chinese posters said there was no State Media and Chinese people didn't have their media viewing manipulated. Must be fake news!

Yung-T, Mazulis, calurker and 2 others like this.
  5. WNBA

WNBA Member

no. it was the Chinese basketball fans were making a big deal out of this. Chinese government cannot and wont get involved into this until NBA have confirmed anti-China comments and actions. The rest of the world understand the procedure and consequences of color revolution and CIA's operation. The world wide spotlights will be on how "freedom and democracy" will burn another great place into ashes.

6. WNBA

WNBA Member

You think China care about the negative comments? When do you ever see a positive 'comment' on China on your media even though their GDP increased by 10 times in 20 years?

7. marky :)

marky :) Member

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Because this whole fiasco wasn't a result of someone making a "negative comment" on social media.

8. smp

smp Member

The “people” can’t ban anything. Only a government can do that.

You will get no argument from me about CIA and US government corruption. They only care about freedom and democracy when it’s profitable or they can win votes for it. The US should stop trying to be the World Police it that’s a different topic altogether. The good thing is I can say that without the government knocking in my door. I’m probably just in a list somewhere instead. Lol

9. TilmanFinancialWindfall

Morey wins again. All he does is wi. Win win

BigShasta and topfive like this.
  10. foofo

foofo Member

You sounded like everything in China is controlled by the government.

Furious response from Morey’s tweeter started from internet users (mainly hupu.com and social media such as weibo), if you have been following this incident. Before government issued their viewpiont on state owned media (e.g. CCTV), many Rockets sponsors and broadcasters in China have already deemed the tweeter and announced temporary or permanent termination with Rockets relation.

Government may help mend the relationship by tuning it down for the greater good. But it were Chinese people that get Crossed by Morey’s tweet, simply because it is the team they have been supporting for many years even after Yao’s retirement.

I doubt government gives a xxxx about a comment from GM in NBA team. They are responding to people’s anger.

pahiyas and heypartner like this.
  11. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

@Clutch was semi-joking with his tweet but I think he's indeed correct in his thinking: China needs the NBA more than it needs Google, Apple, Twitter, Facebook, or any other tech company, because it can create reasonable facsimiles of all of them, but not of the NBA.

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

So it's the people's fault now, huh? People out to destroy the NBA that hundreds of millions of them watched because one teams employee with almost no presence in political arena posted 1 since-deleted comment in a language they dont speak on a social media platform they cant see.

Yes, that's all due to Chinese fans.

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Television stations are solely or partially owned by the government. This was a miscalculation by their part.

clutchdabear likes this.
  14. foofo

foofo Member

About US/NBA’s ‘core value’ in freedom of speech

US is the most powerful country in the world in terms of its economy, technology, culture, military and many other aspects. There are no other neighbors apart from Canada which pretty much shares the same value as America, and Mexico, which is in a large gap against US in nearly aspect. Society in America is very stable because of geographical and historical reasons. The chance that things like rebellion, chaos, civil wars, invasion by foreign army, famine, etc. on US soil only happens in Hollywood movies

Life in US is also much easier e.g. feeds a family, owns a property and automobile, so democracy and freedom of speech may become only things worth mentioning/promoting, as other needs are pretty granted.

You have to understand and respect difference of other countries especially developing countries before throwing your ‘Core Values’ to others. With that being said, I do wish China to be as stable as America in the near future that people only care about their right of speech, as other needs have already been met/guaranteed.

#34 foofo, Oct 11, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Objectively it has something to do with Morey's position as GM of the most worshipped team in China, the Rockets.

They've taken it personal. If Morey was a carpenter, nobody cared.

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

China, we good now?

Seriously, I thought this thing would have blown over after the Morey apology, how dumb of them to escalate it even further when everyone involved WANTED it to blow over. They so badly wanted the NBA and Silver to completely submit to them, it's pretty sad.

Again, where it was at, would have worked for both parties. As we can see, after Morey's comments, no one was going to say anything else about it. No one is right now, everyone is tap dancing around it, and ESPN wasn't going to jump in deep on it, they don't want to cover this story either. No one wants to cover this story other than political journalists from CNN, NBC, Fox etc etc because that's their job.

After Harden said "We love China!" They should have just considered this done and moved right on from it.

I do wonder how they move on from this though. Will they try to forget it ever happened and basically move forward hand and hand with the NBA or will they be slowly backing away from the partnership?

clutchdabear likes this.
  17. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

#37 Ottomaton, Oct 11, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    clutchdabear and malakas like this.
  18. topfive

topfive CF OG

There's one clear winner in all of this: the almighty dollar!

19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

alrighty or all mighty?

BTW - I do believe ‘they’ may have redefined TWEET STORM.

Now ‘we’ must make tweet storm great again!

20. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

This is what I think the fallout outcome will be :

1. China Tencent will resume NBA regular season games broadcast in this new season, but in a much lower profile and less promotion way.

2. Rockets will be for sure be banned in China for this season, and they will review it in next season. They will pray that Rockets will miss the playoffs otherwise it will be more embarrassment.

3. Profit sharing on the Chinese games broadcast within the 30 teams will not be changed, that’s the NBA own decision.

4. All Rockets sponsors related to any kind of China factors will be withdrawn.

5. Silver will attend multiple Rockets games this season by the ‘spirit of supporting free expression’.

6. Morey will be fined by the NBA on couple occasions HEAVILY either for tempering or criticizing league policies which is non political related.

7. Tilman will order Morey to trade away either Capela or EG before end of the season to dodge tax.

heypartner, joshuaao and malakas like this.