1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[538] Rockets Still Relevant

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lnchan, Jul 11, 2019.

1. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

You are either massively disingenuous or a straight idiot.

The models aren’t mine - they are developed independently by multiple statistics experts and all came to the same conclusion, which is the opposite of yours.

And for your gambling argument to be correct, it would imply that Vegas is setting the line artificially high for the Rockets because they see a lot of action coming in on the over and therefore need to entice more under action, which is also ridiculous given Rockets are far from a public darling. The non-sharp public underestimates them in general in favor of the shiny toys - if anything the line is artificially low to entice action on the over.

And the troll is the one with the mindlessly contrarian opinion with no evidence behind it. Look in the mirror.

You are literally too stupid to have this argument with. So I’ll mute you and move on.

topfive likes this.
  2. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Hey, looks like Morey agreed with me! Who knew? LMAO

3. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

How did they even get better? Who did they get? Michael Porter Jr and Bol Bol?? Two guys who haven’t played in nba?

I like jerami grant but he’s not enough to put them over the top.

4. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

According to CARMELO, Rockets got better with the trade.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...the-rockets-dont-have-superstar-fomo-anymore/

upload_2019-7-12_13-34-55.png

And the Westbrook-CP3 comparison:

upload_2019-7-12_13-35-21.png

D-rock and BamBam like this.
  5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Is Dork Elvis slipping some bitcoins to his Sloan buddies?

In the chart, why does WB's projected numbers get bumped up from 4.5 last season when he comes off a team built specifically around him?

The 538 Narrative doesn't fit here, but I like don't like math...only hot take driven stories.

6. topfive

topfive CF OG

"Certainly, Westbrook (age 30) is younger than Paul (34) and projects to be better over the next few seasons, according to CARMELO’s wins above replacement metric, though he is coming off a worse season in 2018-19.

There are still plenty of questions about how the members of Houston’s new star pairing will coexist with each other. And the trade feels at least in part like a deal done just so the Rockets can say they made a big offseason splash on par with the West’s other heavy hitters. But it certainly further bolsters Houston’s case as the favorite in a loaded Western Conference.

UPDATE (July 12, 2019, 2:40 p.m.): This diary entry has been updated to reflect the signing of Tyson Chandler. Houston’s Elo didn’t change."

#106 topfive, Jul 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    D-rock likes this.
  7. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I was wondering the same...maybe it considers that year to be an outlier, just a down year?

Invisible Fan likes this.
  8. topfive

topfive CF OG

I'm pretty sure that's it. They obviously think he sacrificed his game to better work PG13 into the mix. If that's actually the case, it's a mixed blessing for us: Russ is willing to change, but his numbers suffer when he does. o_O

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Never trust anything called "CARMELO" ;)

D-rock likes this.
  10. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

11. HP3

HP3 Member

D-rock and Deckard like this.
  12. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

It underrates Curry/LeBron a bit to me, but solid otherwise. If you click the team links it breaks down every teams player value and I largely can’t disagree. But Harden ain’t a tier above Curry offensively. That’s for sure.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Wow! Can I say that? Guess I just did.

WOW!

D-rock and cml750 like this.
  14. HP3

HP3 Member

Yea I don’t think I could say that. I think Harden is better but tier above Curry is not true. Though let’s see what he’s really got this season. His usage should be the highest it’s been in years.

15. smp

smp Member

Let’s just see how it plays out. Team chemistry is tough to measure.